"The Book, Playing The Percentages In Baseball" Summary

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a book I bought last year, largely since we were playing a lot more small ball. There are 12 chapters in the book and Chapter 9 deals with "To Sacrifice Or Not". You can read about the book at the Amazon review (I don't feel like summarizing): For some reason, the Amazon link is getting blocked .... so Google "The Book: Playing The Percentages In Baseball" at Amazon"

Anyway, here's some of what "The Book" says about sacrificing / bunting. I think bunting is a very important part of the game in certain situations. Any college stats/links people may know of I would be interested to see:
  • Almost any batter can bunt as long as he is a good bunter, or a fast runner, preferably both. A poor or slow bunter should rarely be allowed to sacrifice.
    • We have players who are both good bunters and very fast. Thus it makes sense to bunt since we often get hits.
  • If a weighted OnBaseAverage of a hitter is < 300, the sac attempt makes sense regardless of defensive alignment. If the batter has a wOBA >300, then bunt attempt if defense is back. Otherwise swing away.
  • When deciding to bunt or not, anticipating or observing the position of the infielders is critical.
    • I've heard our players say that it is often up to them as to whether they bunt or not.
  • Exchange an out if the benefit is to advance the runner from 1st to second.
    • The problem with applying this “rule” is that we beat out many of the sac bunt attempts to get a hit. You can't know if it's a "sacrifice" or an in-field hit till the play is done. So it depends on how well a player bunts to get on base.
  • Early in the game, it is better to sacrifice attempt with runner on first and no outs. Helps keep the defense honest.
  • Late in a close game, which is low scoring, it is correct to sacrifice attempt with runner on first and no outs.
  • In a low-scoring game, it is good to bunt attempt if the defense is playing back.
  • The count doesn't change the efficacy of the bunt, except for 3-0 when you should swing away. Also, with a 2 strike count need to swing away.
PS - This was for @Squints , a small ball aficionado. (tic)

Last edited: