The Best Return Man in the ACC

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Jamal's in second, 160-87 in votes (behind Myles Willis of BC and ahead of Sherman Alston, also BC, at #3 with 19 votes). Come on, Jackets, we can do this!

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he looked a good bit less explosive last year coming off his ACL tear. Hopefully he can get some of that mojo back.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
I could be wrong but I don't think Golden ever suffered an ACL injury. Pretty sure he sat out the year before last because of a shoulder injury.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jamal was electric before his injury. Wasn't a speedster, but saw the field really well, and knew how to use blocks to his advantage. Wasn't the same guy last year as he was before his injury.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I could be wrong but I don't think Golden ever suffered an ACL injury. Pretty sure he sat out the year before last because of a shoulder injury.

You're right, not sure who I was thinking of. That makes it more strange that he seems to have lost some of his explosiveness.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is Jamal really the best returner in the ACC though? He's above average certainly, but the best? I don't think so

Statistically I agree that Golden will not be the best in the ACC this year. Here are the top 66 last year without Golden in those ....... http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/player/split01/category04/sort01.html

Hint: A FR from UNC was #1 last year. With 5 TDs.

I think that a lot of the time we play very conservatively on punt coverage and keep people at the line to prevent the fake. Thus the returner should usually fair catch. Plus, the longer the field, the more time it takes for us to score and the less time the other team has the ball. I've got no problem with what we do.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is Jamal really the best returner in the ACC though? He's above average certainly, but the best? I don't think so
Why are we getting all legalistic about this? The article lists him as a choice. He is better than most of them and he is a Tech guy. Voting for him gives the program exposure. It is all hype and P.R. anyway.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Statistically I agree that Golden will not be the best in the ACC this year. Here are the top 66 last year without Golden in those ....... http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/player/split01/category04/sort01.html

Hint: A FR from UNC was #1 last year. With 5 TDs.

I think that a lot of the time we play very conservatively on punt coverage and keep people at the line to prevent the fake. Thus the returner should usually fair catch. Plus, the longer the field, the more time it takes for us to score and the less time the other team has the ball. I've got no problem with what we do.
Exactly, we hardly ever set up a punt return.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Jamal was electric before his injury. Wasn't a speedster, but saw the field really well, and knew how to use blocks to his advantage. Wasn't the same guy last year as he was before his injury.

I noticed how well Searcy handled punts in the Spring Game so I asked Golden at the CFBHOF if he expected to return punts and kickoffs this year. He certainly thought so, but acknowledged that returns last year were not up to expectations, but he was working hard and looking forward to breaking some returns this year. I believe there is some competition in the return game this season which may help everybody.