The 2019-2020 Senior Class and their extra year

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've seen this mixed in to a few threads and thought it might make sense for a single spot to discuss it.

Jose - Quite a few people seem to be talking about him coming back next year, but if you look at his situation, it makes no sense. I'm sure he'll have a great year, but he kind of is what he is at this point in terms of college development potential, as he targets a pro career. When you combine that with the fact he has a baby daughter, is probably pretty close to getting his degree, and is maybe a little older for his class, the rational choice seems to be that he should get his pro career started and make some money, either domestically or internationally. There's not much reason for him to come back.

Bubba - Kind of the same story as Jose with more limited pro prospects. Maybe makes a little more sense for him to come back and finish his degree, but even then, he's likely a glue guy deep on the bench, while younger guards begin to get their opportunity. Maybe 4th in the rotation at best and that probably takes Devoe leaving for the pros.

Moses - Kind of a boom or bust situation. He has the highest ceiling as an NBA prospect, so he probably needs to produce at a high rate and then have the pro scouts give him good feedback. Otherwise, it might make sense for him to take another year and show a consistent ability to produce. I think he's likely to produce well enough this year to move on, but maybe he benefits from another year.

Jordan - I think he's the most likely and best served to come back another year, especially since he lost 2 semester of playing time as a mid-year transfer. He has the physical talent to be a 3&D player in the NBA, but needs to show a refined game, improved skills, and produce at a higher rate. On top of that, he'd likely finish his degree in that time span. Not saying it highly probable, but I do think Jordan, of all of our seniors, would the best served by another year.

Net net - I'm really starting this thread to rain on the parade of people wishing & hoping for another year of Jose. I love the kid and I love seeing him in a GT uniform, but if we start getting too hopeful about him coming back for another year, when it doesn't make much sense, we'll just end up having pages & pages of unwarranted complaints in the Spring.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Jose and Moses can play pro ball. Maybe not NBA, but definitely pro oversees. I don't see how another year would benefit them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned this thing in another thread so wanted to chime in. The way I personally look at it is that I expect everyone who would normally leave to leave, and be pleasantly surprised if any stay. However, whether they stay or not, until a decision is announced, the possibility that they could stay is a factor to be considered, at least as it related to recruiting.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mentioned this thing in another thread so wanted to chime in. The way I personally look at it is that I expect everyone who would normally leave to leave, and be pleasantly surprised if any stay. However, whether they stay or not, until a decision is announced, the possibility that they could stay is a factor to be considered, at least as it related to recruiting.
Our overanalysis is irrelevant to the real life decisions made by our student athletes and potential recruits.

We've seen how the disappointment plays out time and again when we miss out on recruits. Let's not set ourselves up to express that about players that actually put on the GT Jersey because they didn't stay an extra year.

We should just ignore the possibility.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Our overanalysis is irrelevant to the real life decisions made by our student athletes and potential recruits.

So?

The actual dynamic of eligibility not being counted this year isn't irrelevant and the internet was created for pointless overanalysis from people with too much time on their hands.

We've seen how the disappointment plays out time and again when we miss out on recruits. Let's not set ourselves up to express that about players that actually put on the GT Jersey because they didn't stay an extra year.

I agree which is why I said I personally expect everyone to leave. Expect the worst hope for the best and all that.

Still an interesting unique dynamic that I don't think we should just ignore because some people can't control their imagination. I think it's perfectly fine to speculate what the team might be like if all the seniors returned as long as you understand that there is a lot of reasons that won't happen even if it could.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So?

The actual dynamic of eligibility not being counted this year isn't irrelevant and the internet was created for pointless overanalysis from people with too much time on their hands.

I agree which is why I said I personally expect everyone to leave. Expect the worst hope for the best and all that.

Still an interesting unique dynamic that I don't think we should just ignore because some people can't control their imagination. I think it's perfectly fine to speculate what the team might be like if all the seniors returned as long as you understand that there is a lot of reasons that won't happen even if it could.
It's truly the most worthless speculation.

Ultimately, I'm setting the stage for me to flat out insult any idiot brave enough to disparage Jose if he decides to not come back. I'm planning on going full keyboard warrior on the clown(s) who makes that mistake.

Anyway... I've said my peace. I've stated the dynamic that people talking about Jose's returning next year have ignored entirely so far. I've noted that I'll put any ******* on blast who dares go after Jose (or Moses or Bubba or Jordan) for not using his extra year. Knowing our fan base, it'll happen and I hope people join me in decimating the jerks who show how much they aren't actually supportive of our players.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
this is a great, thought-provoking post. a few thoughts in response...

-agree with your analysis of jose.

-the addition of kyle *should* reduce the desperation for jose to return for the bonus year. add deebo (fingers crossed) and the desperation for jose is further reduced. even if kyle has a modest or "quiet" season as a role player this winter, he comes back a former top 150 PG with an important year of ACC seasoning (behind a senior/veteran ACC PG) who is now ready to take the helm in 21-22.

-agree with your analysis of jordan benefitting the most, and the most likely to take advantage of the bonus season.

-moses is the hardest to predict. difficult to predict his development curve in terms of timing. easy to imagine it unfolding this season. also easy to imagine him doing well this year, but still needing another season in the ACC before going pro (nba or overseas).

-i still find it amazing how many GT fans think devoe might go pro after 3 years. (i know you dtm are not making that prediction in the OP, i'm just adding it here because others frequently mention it when discussing our roster beyond this season. i just dont see anything that leads me to believe devoe will be a pro after 3 years. imho, based on his first 2 seasons, he is not on a path to going pro next spring. i would love to be wrong, because that would mean he is dominant this winter and GT hoops has had a tremendous season. if he is getting serious nba attention after this season, GT had an amazing year and he led us to the upper echelon of the ACC. he is a great piece, and looks to be a very good 4-year starter for us, in my view. i see a future overseas pro career. as for nba after 3 years of college ball, other posters have diagnosed (in great detail) the barriers in previous threads: athleticism, handle, turnovers, jump shot, size/strength, etc.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's truly the most worthless speculation.

Ultimately, I'm setting the stage for me to flat out insult any idiot brave enough to disparage Jose if he decides to not come back. I'm planning on going full keyboard warrior on the clown(s) who makes that mistake.

Anyway... I've said my peace. I've stated the dynamic that people talking about Jose's returning next year have ignored entirely so far. I've noted that I'll put any ******* on blast who dares go after Jose (or Moses or Bubba or Jordan) for not using his extra year. Knowing our fan base, it'll happen and I hope people join me in decimating the jerks who show how much they aren't actually supportive of our players.

Plan on being busy. We have no shortage of brave idiots.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not see Jose or Moses as being ready for the NBA and don't know how much money is available elsewhere. That said, I agree with your point about them moving on with their lives. The only exception might be that one or both need/want to finish their degree before leaving. It is hard to come back to school.

slugboy

Staff member
My projections of pro readiness and round 1 vs 2 are not brag-worthy. Pandemic or not, I expect a senior to be ready to leave the nest, though—athlete or not

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We should just ignore the possibility.

+1 on what we think being relevant. I just hope they get what they want in any sport and do what's best for them.

I don't follow basketball but baseball. So this is a question from the baseball POV.

How do you expect COVID to impact the NBA and NBA draft? Fewer slots or less payout and better to wait and hope for better economics? There will be more congestion of ability for the players who opt not to go to the NBA and have another year to improve their game.

It sure has impacted baseball. Not only reduced size of draft, but also payouts. Pro sports are entertainment based businesses and COVID isn't that nice to in person entertainment. Maybe we'll get an effective vaccine, but that is another subject.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
+1 on what we think being relevant. I just hope they get what they want in any sport and do what's best for them.

I don't follow basketball but baseball. So this is a question from the baseball POV.

How do you expect COVID to impact the NBA and NBA draft? Fewer slots or less payout and better to wait and hope for better economics? There will be more congestion of ability for the players who opt not to go to the NBA and have another year to improve their game.

It sure has impacted baseball. Not only reduced size of draft, but also payouts. Pro sports are entertainment based businesses and COVID isn't that nice to in person entertainment. Maybe we'll get an effective vaccine, but that is another subject.
With revenues severely reduced, would you draft a project player in the first round? No matter how much potential? I wonder if the CBA allows the league to cancel the 2021 draft and just let college players scramble for spots on NBA rosters? Nobody knows when NBA arenas will be full again. Certainly not in the 2020-21 season.

slugboy

Staff member
I believe the NBA gets most of its revenue from TV. I don’t know how important the arena revenue is (but I’d think it’s important). Still, I’d expect a draft as usual next year

GT_EE78

Banned
if it works to their personal benefit like getting the degree, then that's great.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is time for Jose to be paid. End of story
It is unfortunately time of Moses to give 100% of his time to improving his game.
These 2 are 2 of my favorite Jackets.

Deleted member 2897

My shock about this thread is how a few people can ask pretty basic and normal questions and make what seems to me are fair minded assessments and somehow they get totally **** on.