The ‘Domers have secured an ACC Championship berth!!??

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ACC gonna bend the knee to ND. As if they don't already get favorable treatment from the ACC by not becoming a full member, they get hurdles removed on their way to the ACC Championship.

Whatever, it's the ACC. I hope the B1G comes calling again for us...should be an interesting decision this time around.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC gonna bend the knee to ND.
ACC is really bending over for ND... I have lost a lot of respect for the ACC, first they bail out ND instead of forcing them to join the conference fully, and then they just give them a cake walk to the ACCCG? Really?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How has ACC "removed" obstacles to ACCCG? ND is already 8-0 against conference competition... including a win over Clemson. In a normal year 8 is the most you can get. After Sat... ND will have 9 conference wins. I'm no ND apologist... but they've earned the spot in the championship game by actually beating up on the ACC.

Under the circumstances (back in the summer), both the ACC & ND would have been stupid to not make the "deal" they made. Too bad none of the 9 ACC teams that played them managed to be an adequate "obstacle" to keeping ND from getting to Charlotte.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How has ACC "removed" obstacles to ACCCG? ND is already 8-0 against conference competition... including a win over Clemson. In a normal year 8 is the most you can get. After Sat... ND will have 9 conference wins. I'm no ND apologist... but they've earned the spot in the championship game by actually beating up on the ACC.

Under the circumstances (back in the summer), both the ACC & ND would have been stupid to not make the "deal" they made. Too bad none of the 9 ACC teams that played them managed to be an adequate "obstacle" to keeping ND from getting to Charlotte.

I triple dog, 180 degree disagree with this. I don't possibly see how you can say this. The ACC was stupid enough to give them an entire schedule without an agreement they were going to join the league. HOW F..KING STUPID!!!!! WHY GIVE THEM A SCHEDULE AND POSSIBLE TRIP TO CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS IF THEY DO NOT JOIN THE CONFERENCE FULL TIME!!!!! If the ACC doesn't do such a STUPID COWARDLY thing, Notre Dame DOES NOT HAVE A SEASON!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I triple dog, 180 degree disagree with this. I don't possibly see how you can say this. The ACC was stupid enough to give them an entire schedule without an agreement they were going to join the league. HOW F..KING STUPID!!!!! WHY GIVE THEM A SCHEDULE AND POSSIBLE TRIP TO CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS IF THEY DO NOT JOIN THE CONFERENCE FULL TIME!!!!! If the ACC doesn't do such a STUPID COWARDLY thing, Notre Dame DOES NOT HAVE A SEASON!
Notre Dame playing a full ACC schedule means more money for all “full-time” ACC member schools. It also means the ACC can get 2 schools in the CFP, which means even more money to “full-time” members. People are free to whine and complain about Notre Dame not committing to joking the conference full-time after this year, but their participation in ACC competition benefits the entire conference this year.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC gonna bend the knee to ND. As if they don't already get favorable treatment from the ACC by not becoming a full member, they get hurdles removed on their way to the ACC Championship.

Whatever, it's the ACC. I hope the B1G comes calling again for us...should be an interesting decision this time around.
Unfortunately, we screwed ourselves with the grant in rights. We are wed to the ACC until 2036. :(

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The Athletic has written several articles on tv revenues and grant in rights. Basically, the ACC’s best hope to keep up in the revenue race once SEC and Big Ten reup is for ND to join our league since technically every P5 is going to lap us in revenue. You think things are bad now just wait until SEC has $40 million more per team off tv revenue alone

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Notre Dame playing a full ACC schedule means more money for all “full-time” ACC member schools. It also means the ACC can get 2 schools in the CFP, which means even more money to “full-time” members. People are free to whine and complain about Notre Dame not committing to joking the conference full-time after this year, but their participation in ACC competition benefits the entire conference this year.
Exactly, the ACC is a willing partner in this for financial reasons. I don’t like the preferential treatment either but ND’s brand and conference affiliation means $$$ and the hope of a renegotiated tv contract in 2025. As a GT fan, I also realize we don’t have the donor base to compete when tv revenue puts us 30-40 million behind SEC and big 10 schools.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic has written several articles on tv revenues and grant in rights. Basically, the ACC’s best hope to keep up in the revenue race once SEC and Big Ten reup is for ND to join our league since technically every P5 is going to lap us in revenue. You think things are bad now just wait until SEC has $40 million more per team off tv revenue alone
I'm not sure that the TV rights money is going to continue to increase. ESPN was paying outlandish fees for TV rights and making a very large part of their money from Cable/Sat subscribers who never watched ESPN. They money they have paid for TV rights was very far over what they could have made from ads alone. Many people are cutting the cord. ESPN raises the rates to keep up with the loss of subscribers, but that is a spiral that causes more people to cut the cord. This has made a lot of money for ESPN and Disney, but it isn't sustainable. Therefore, at some point the spigot of TV money to the NCAA athletic departments is going to cut off.