kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Amy Poehler Smiling GIF

As for the "no arguing" part, well....

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here that are talking basketball. This is a good group of knowledgable people and I appreciate the good conversation on the basketball board. Good discussion, debating not arguing and good insight into what’s going on behind the scenes.

Thanks guys! Stay classy, San Diego.
Why thank you TechPhi. Living in North Carolina, you are surrounded with college basketball and you know it well also. I totally agree with you that these fellow Tech Tech fans know how to analyze teams and players. I am learning a lots from them by just by tuning in. Now that I am retired, I have time to reprogram my brain to understand what most are talking about. 50 years ago when I played at Tech and then coached college basketball for five years in the late 70's early 80's, basketball teams and players were different then, yet much remains the same, even some of the jargon. I played guard but never was called a point guard nor shooting guard. We called plays by numbers, now they call players by numbers. We had to figure how to win by scoring 80 points a game and shooting over 50%, with no dunking, three pointers, not 30 second clock. We played basketball to get to college, many being the first in the family to go to college. As a coach, we recruited players by word of mouth from high school coaches and newspapers and seeing players, with few basketball academies nor performance star rating services flooding the recruiting landscape. I was talking with Bobby Cremins yesterday about how much the college scene has changed as players and coaches with NIL and transfers and how we would fit in into today's college D1 basketball. We ended that part of the conversation with an mutual agreement of "I don't know". Bobby is optimistic on how the old school will match with the new in watching the progress at Vanderbilt of two leaves from his coaching tree while at Charleston, Mark Bynington and assistant Jon Cremins, Bobby's nephew. And Bobby remains one of the most loyal Georgia Tech fans, not just because his name is on the court.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Why thank you TechPhi. Living in North Carolina, you are surrounded with college basketball and you know it well also. I totally agree with you that these fellow Tech Tech fans know how to analyze teams and players. I am learning a lots from them by just by tuning in. Now that I am retired, I have time to reprogram my brain to understand what most are talking about. 50 years ago when I played at Tech and then coached college basketball for five years in the late 70's early 80's, basketball teams and players were different then, yet much remains the same, even some of the jargon. I played guard but never was called a point guard nor shooting guard. We called plays by numbers, now they call players by numbers. We had to figure how to win by scoring 80 points a game and shooting over 50%, with no dunking, three pointers, not 30 second clock. We played basketball to get to college, many being the first in the family to go to college. As a coach, we recruited players by word of mouth from high school coaches and newspapers and seeing players, with few basketball academies nor performance star rating services flooding the recruiting landscape. I was talking with Bobby Cremins yesterday about how much the college scene has changed as players and coaches with NIL and transfers and how we would fit in into today's college D1 basketball. We ended that part of the conversation with an mutual agreement of "I don't know". Bobby is optimistic on how the old school will match with the new in watching the progress at Vanderbilt of two leaves from his coaching tree while at Charleston, Mark Bynington and assistant Jon Cremins, Bobby's nephew. And Bobby remains one of the most loyal Georgia Tech fans, not just because his name is on the court.
Your insight, history, and connection to the program are very much appreciated Tommy! Let me know if you trek your way to McCamish this winter - would love to shake your hand and buy you a beer (an offer that is very much out there for all folks on here - I drop over to Marlow's/11th St Pub/etc on West Peachtree before the walk to McCamish when my work schedule permits).

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Your insight, history, and connection to the program are very much appreciated Tommy! Let me know if you trek your way to McCamish this winter - would love to shake your hand and buy you a beer (an offer that is very much out there for all folks on here - I drop over to Marlow's/11th St Pub/etc on West Peachtree before the walk to McCamish when my work schedule permits).
Sounds like a good plan. The Tech letterwinners (several hundred still alive) and many of the coaches get together in Jan-Feb for a Letterwinners day at an ACC game. Bobby Cremins began that annual event in 1985, and we played a game after the ACC game for the first 35 years. I will let everyone know that game is next season.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Just reading your post makes me think about how much College Basketball Coaching has changed since my days at GT. In my sophomore year (1963), one of my PE courses was Basketball. Some of our young Swarmers may find it hard to believe, but our instructor was none other than Head Basketball Coach John "Whack" Hyder.

I was a starter at forward for two years on my small High School basketball team. I still remember how much I thought I would impress Coach Hyder with my jump shot. Unfortunately, I didn't get an invitation to back up one of our starters like Ron Scharf (LOL)!! I remember Ron pretty well since we had a Business Law Class together.

I can't recall if Coach Hyder had any assistance for our class. He may have had some help from an assistant BB coach. Coach Hyder only had one assistant, Byron Gilbreath plus a freshman coach, Joe Helms. It has been 60 years ago!

I attached a partial page from my Blueprint showing the PE Department staff including Coach Hyder. Head of the department was A.M. "Tonto" Coleman who was assistant AD during those years. Tonto later became commissioner of the Southeastern Conference for 6 years from 1966 to 1972.

I can see asking a P4 Head Basketball coach to coach PE on the side today!!

Attachments

• Georgia Tech PE Department 1962-1963.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Just reading your post makes me think about how much College Basketball Coaching has changed since my days at GT. In my sophomore year (1963), one of my PE courses was Basketball. Some of our young Swarmers may find it hard to believe, but our instructor was none other than Head Basketball Coach John "Whack" Hyder.
"Showtime"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tonto Coleman is a name I had forgotten. Thanks for the memory jog.

Yes, this is a good thread. Yes, there’s some great knowledge pooled in the basketball discussions.

One of the reasons I feel optimistic about next season is that there isn’t a lot of negativity in the comments, and the criticisms that are shared are knowledgeable and valid points, but these are also areas that can be improved. We all know it will be harder than it looks on paper to advance to the next level but no one is blowing smoke on here. So great to be able to discuss issues and still feel positive about the direction of the program.

So much more I said but I decided to delete it as unnecessary. To repeat what has been said, the basketball discussions are the best on this site.