Thanks Coach Pastner

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Pastner can succeed at other schools. IMO NIL is the major factor that will change win % for teams. IDK if we can compete anymore. I will say that I think Pastner would have been far more successful at GT without the Ron Bell ****. Hope Ron gets railed in prison everyday.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
J's letter...
Anthony Wilkins is the interim coach until further notice.

1678478509500.png

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I guess when we fire someone we cut the cord quickly. I tried to send Josh an email and I got a delivery failure reply as "address rejected".

I did the same thing. Emailed him as soon as I got the J. Batt email and got the rejected reply.

Unfortunate. He was a good guy. Kind of reminded me of Cremins a little bit, a little goofy, but passionate about the school and his players. Just didn't win enough. I hope we can get someone better. That is my main concern. A better coach with lots of NIL dollars.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Bittersweet moment. Pastner had his negatives, and I see why he was fired. But he gave us a ton of memories and I appreciate all he did as coach.

And as this era ends… a new one begins! Hopefully one with fruitful success.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The long run of very bad losses this year is what doomed him. Got to have a coach that can quickly l adjust to stop the bleeding.

Imo, we need hot new coach thar will make our players stay and will attract portal players.

Just as i like coach KEY I like the guy Pastner, but both have to show real "snap" during game situations. When the leads flying, we need leaders that can adjust.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bad fit in Atlanta but he might just about right out west in changing the culture of a program that shut their program down mid season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, thank you to Pastner for taking this job. We were not in a good spot when he took over. Did Pastner leave the GT job better than he found it? That's up for the messageboards to debate. I do know there were more times of enjoyment during his tenure than the coach he took over for. I just read that GT has only finished above 0.500 in the ACC 3 times since 1997. Pastner owns two of those seasons. That also tells you what kind of hill the next guy is looking at.

I wish him well. Pastner is a good person, he just couldn't take us to the heights we all wanted. GT is not an easy job.

I heard a couple of months ago when the season was circling the toilet bowl that there were some background discussions amongst some donors and Batt about getting funds together to move on from Pastner. I kind of mentioned it several times. I was told if it was going to happen, it would happen within the first couple of weeks after the ACCT to give Batt maximum time to do due diligence on the next guy. Well, it happened two days after our season finished.

The money to fire Pastner was always there, it was just a matter of other things that would take to get this program back to sustained success that was the challenge. There are donors that LOVE the GTMBB program even more than the football program. Make no mistake, Pastner the person is beloved among donors and the administration...the on the court success just wasn't there. It's promising from the standpoint that this move would not have happened if the money for program infrastructure wasn't there. This move means the funds are there. To what extent we'll find out soon.

Now the next guy will have his turn with a bigger war chest to move this program forward.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
First, thank you to Pastner for taking this job. We were not in a good spot when he took over. Did Pastner leave the GT job better than he found it? That's up for the messageboards to debate. I do know there were more times of enjoyment during his tenure than the coach he took over for. I just read that GT has only finished above 0.500 in the ACC 3 times since 1997. Pastner owns two of those seasons. That also tells you what kind of hill the next guy is looking at.

I wish him well. Pastner is a good person, he just couldn't take us to the heights we all wanted. GT is not an easy job.

I heard a couple of months ago when the season was circling the toilet bowl that there were some background discussions amongst some donors and Batt about getting funds together to move on from Pastner. I kind of mentioned it several times. I was told if it was going to happen, it would happen within the first couple of weeks after the ACCT to give Batt maximum time to do due diligence on the next guy. Well, it happened two days after our season finished.

The money to fire Pastner was always there, it was just a matter of other things that would take to get this program back to sustained success that was the challenge. There are donors that LOVE the GTMBB program even more than the football program. Make no mistake, Pastner the person is beloved among donors and the administration...the on the court success just wasn't there. It's promising from the standpoint that this move would not have happened if the money for program infrastructure wasn't there. This move means the funds are there. To what extent we'll find out soon.

Now the next guy will have his turn with a bigger war chest to move this program forward.
I echo your thanks, and I too appreciate that he was willing to take the job and that he was enthusiastic about it.

I do think he left the program in better shape than when he got here. At the least, he demonstrated that it was still possible at GT to have winning conference records, and to win the ACC. He recruited good players who stayed, even if there were enough failures that ultimately meant he did not succeed.

It's a fact of life that coaching jobs represent the face of the program, and if you lose the confidence of the fanbase it's hard to move forward. I've read somewhere that you are either selling success, or you are selling hope and sometimes the only way to get the hope back is to change the coach. GT desperately needs to increase revenues, and although the size of McCamish means there is not a lot of headroom increasing MBB attendance is one source and I don't think that was going to happen if Pastner came back. On the other hand, we'll have to see who is hired and whether they can create enough excitement to make a meaningful difference. There was very little bump from Gregory's last year to Pastner's first.

I hope that Batt and his team have plans to improve student attendance, as well as attract season ticket holders.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’ll miss Josh but I’m okay moving on. So many happy memories from his teams whether they were winning or losing. I’ll never forget the ‘20-‘21 arc.

Say what you want about the talent or speed or strength of his teams, they always made you proud because not a SINGLE one of his 7 teams ever lost 50/50 balls.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
He is a good man and he tried but he made too many mistakes in handling of affairs and maybe coaching also. If he didn't get another REAL Ctr for next yr his record would be about like this yr--not good enough.