Film Room Tenn 13 Offensive Slow Motion Video

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Should've been a completion. All I can hear is Gruden (to Dobbs): "Tell me what was going through your mind when that ball was snapped."
I like what Nebraska did here - sending 6 at first, but then dropping 1 back into the hook - freed the DE rusher, and made the QB have one more thought (the dropping guy) as he threw the ball. Tenuta's zone dog scheme employed this technique a lot - though this doesn't look like zone by Nebraska. It's an interesting looking coverage, can't quite make it out (almost like a hybrid), but I'm probably overthinking it.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never understood why corners do what they do when their guy is lined up within 5 yards of the sideline.

I would think you'd rather have inside leverage and use the sideline as an extra defender. The ball has to come from inside out, so inside leverage helps combat the slant because WR has to try and go through the DB. But even if it's a vertical route DB just turns hips towards sidelines and then is in phase with WR and can attack the ball.

Plus, on a vertical route, unless the WR is just way faster, DB should run step for step and just slowly box the WR OOB.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I've never understood why corners do what they do when their guy is lined up within 5 yards of the sideline.

I would think you'd rather have inside leverage and use the sideline as an extra defender. The ball has to come from inside out, so inside leverage helps combat the slant because WR has to try and go through the DB. But even if it's a vertical route DB just turns hips towards sidelines and then is in phase with WR and can attack the ball.

Plus, on a vertical route, unless the WR is just way faster, DB should run step for step and just slowly box the WR OOB.
Maybe the boundary corner played to funnel the underneath stuff to the LB dropping. He has no help over top, so he may be told to assure that WR doesn't get a clean release.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
#5 on defense lined up to blitz then dropped back into coverage right where a slant would go. He looked to be in the passing lane somewhat and may have picked the throw if it was on target. At the very least, he influenced the throw.

Mostly due to not much LB help we have not been strong in the past defending quick slants. Tn seems to like that play a lot. I hope we prepare better for the slant Sept 4.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mostly due to not much LB help we have not been strong in the past defending quick slants. Tn seems to like that play a lot. I hope we prepare better for the slant Sept 4.

Just keep in mind...if you drop that LB to cover the slant...and a 4 man rush fails to get pressure on the QB...he will have all day long to throw.

My point is the D can only guess so much. Some play calls will give an advantage, some will create a disadvantage. If we can get a decent rush sending 4, the sky is the limit. If not, we gotta pick our poison. And we have had to pick our poison for too many years.

Let's hope our DL gets after their asses this year.