Temple & North Carolina

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we win another game this year I think NC is our best shot.

Still have a national championship in your sights eh? I love positive thinkers. :D

Back on topic. It’s way too early to determine what bowl Temple might end up in. It’s not too early to determine they are not close to being a bad football team. Expect a good game and a close one. We can win but we ain’t gonna steam roll anyone this year. Temple should be favored and is playing at home. Thankfully it sounds like their home field advantage may be on par with our own.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Temple lost because they were looking ahead to our game. We lost to Citadel because we were looking ahead to the Temple game. :)

Bob

slugboy

Staff member
I watched part of the Temple-Buffalo game, including the end. Buffalo kept ahead of the sticks, played well on the line, and generally made positive plays. There wasn't much doubt that they'd move the ball when Buffalo was on offense.

Maybe Temple's coach is smart enough to commit to the run. If he doesn't, I think our pass defense will burn him.

Funny thing is, I thought Buffalo ran the ball well against Temple, but they only got 115 yards on the ground and 275 through the air. They got 3 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. Their QB had a QBR of 75, which isn't great, but would be good for us.

Temple was behind, but very pass-heavy. Their rush/pass ratio was 29 rushes/38 passes. They completed 17 passes (45%). Temple threw 2 picks and fumbled once. Here are your game stats: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401019478

The game was at Buffalo.

Their previous game was against Maryland at Home. Game stats are here: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401112203. That game they had 39 rushes and 37 passing attempts. That game was more balanced.

In both games, Temple gave up 3 turnovers.

This game is winnable if we make consistent positive plays on offense and play defense more like we did in the first two games.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I watched part of the Temple-Buffalo game, including the end. Buffalo kept ahead of the sticks, played well on the line, and generally made positive plays. There wasn't much doubt that they'd move the ball when Buffalo was on offense.

Maybe Temple's coach is smart enough to commit to the run. If he doesn't, I think our pass defense will burn him.

Funny thing is, I thought Buffalo ran the ball well against Temple, but they only got 115 yards on the ground and 275 through the air. They got 3 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. Their QB had a QBR of 75, which isn't great, but would be good for us.

Temple was behind, but very pass-heavy. Their rush/pass ratio was 29 rushes/38 passes. They completed 17 passes (45%). Temple threw 2 picks and fumbled once. Here are your game stats: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401019478

The game was at Buffalo.

Their previous game was against Maryland at Home. Game stats are here: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401112203. That game they had 39 rushes and 37 passing attempts. That game was more balanced.

In both games, Temple gave up 3 turnovers.

This game is winnable if we make consistent positive plays on offense and play defense more like we did in the first two games.

I believe you have an OLD Buffalo/Temple box score. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401117870

Buffalo had 4 rushing TD's and an INT return TD.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Hell, would WE beat Buffalo?

I can promise you that we won't this year. With almost 100% certainty. And with the same level of certainty I can promise you that we won't lose to Buffalo this year either.

Lets just wait to see if we can beat a few of the teams we actually play. No reason to worry about teams not on the schedule. I have zero available brain cycles to spend on that.

Living 20 minutes outside Charleston, I've had more than my share of Citadel grads at church and work coming to "check on me." It sucks that they beat us on many levels. But as I told them, if we're going to lose to The Citadel it might as well be this year. Two years from now I'll worry about it if we're still losing to FCS competition. Three games into a major overhaul, not so much.

Animal02

Banned
I can promise you that we won't this year. With almost 100% certainty. And with the same level of certainty I can promise you that we won't lose to Buffalo this year either.

Lets just wait to see if we can beat a few of the teams we actually play. No reason to worry about teams not on the schedule. I have zero available brain cycles to spend on that.

Living 20 minutes outside Charleston, I've had more than my share of Citadel grads at church and work coming to "check on me." It sucks that they beat us on many levels. But as I told them, if we're going to lose to The Citadel it might as well be this year. Two years from now I'll worry about it if we're still losing to FCS competition. Three games into a major overhaul, not so much.
Not wanting to pick on you, but this is just another example of the incomprehensible acceptance of losing. It is not like we did not have the players to win about half our game. It is simply the coaching direction, philosophy, etc and all too many are willing to accept double digit loses to this "overhaul" on the hope that the experiment works out in the future. This is not the pros where you may sacrifice games for the better draft pick..These kids have 3-4 years and it is over....Saying sorry, we are going to lose for some mythical future is a disgrace.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Not wanting to pick on you, but this is just another example of the incomprehensible acceptance of losing. It is not like we did not have the players to win about half our game. It is simply the coaching direction, philosophy, etc and all too many are willing to accept double digit loses to this "overhaul" on the hope that the experiment works out in the future. This is not the pros where you may sacrifice games for the better draft pick..These kids have 3-4 years and it is over....Saying sorry, we are going to lose for some mythical future is a disgrace.
would love to hear your (or anyone else's) thoughts on how we can turn this thing around starting with Temple this weekend. Same offensive game plan we employed for most of Clemson game? How does our D match up with Temple's O?

LibertyTurns

Banned
would love to hear your (or anyone else's) thoughts on how we can turn this thing around starting with Temple this weekend. Same offensive game plan we employed for most of Clemson game? How does our D match up with Temple's O?
I’d run Mason, then I’d run Mason. After that I’d run Mason. If they weren’t stopping Mason, I might give him a breather and run Howard. Might even run TO. Somewhere in there I’d throw a pass. Then I’d go back to running Mason.

On D, whatever we did for Clemp and USF I’d go find it and do it again. Whatever we did for Citadel, I’d remove it from the team. Get rid of it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I’d run Mason, then I’d run Mason. After that I’d run Mason. If they weren’t stopping Mason, I might give him a breather and run Howard. Might even run TO. Somewhere in there I’d throw a pass. Then I’d go back to running Mason.

On D, whatever we did for Clemp and USF I’d go find it and do it again. Whatever we did for Citadel, I’d remove it from the team. Get rid of it.
that works until they put 8 in the box.

forget Citadel, nothing about that game translates to this one, unless Temple is suddenly running flex bone option.

can we beat Temple with a one dimensional offense, good defense, and good special teams?