Teddy V + 5 other refs benched for COVID (link)

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
What!!?? The fact that jacka$$ is ranked in the top 12 of all collegiate officials by KenPom pretty much destroys any credibility that metric has or had. On a serious note, hope Teddy V doesn't have an adverse reaction to the virus and recovers with no ill effects. And hopefully contact tracing doesn't screw us over.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The referees were told to arrive by Sunday night and check into their hotel, but multiple officials said that the rooms weren’t ready upon their arrival, nor was there any food. Instead of having the officials wait in a secure area, they were allowed to leave for dinner and the group of Valentine, Higgins, Ayers, John Gaffney, Kipp Kissinger and Ray Natili all went to Harry & Izzy’s steakhouse in downtown Indianapolis.
Dumbasses

Deleted member 2897

TV Teddy was interviewed on the national news. He was complaining that they asked permission to go eat together since their hotel wasn’t ready and the NCAA blessed it. He was frustrated that they all followed the rules and a bad call was made against him and they had no recourse or ability to appeal. The irony was ****ing fantastic.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
TV Teddy was interviewed on the national news. He was complaining that they asked permission to go eat together since their hotel wasn’t ready and the NCAA blessed it. He was frustrated that they all followed the rules and a bad call was made against him and they had no recourse or ability to appeal. The irony was ****ing fantastic.
Wasn't he sent home because he had close contact with someone who had a positive test? It's not like they are sending him home because he went to dinner.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I assume Teddy V actually gave the interview with that reasoning. The piling on here has been too tame if that is the case.
We are way beyond analysis at this point, in my opinion, and just enjoying the schadenfraude (my spelling is atrocious but you get the point) of it all.

Lone caveat is that I wish everyone involved a safe and symptom free quarantine.

Deleted member 2897

Wasn't he sent home because he had close contact with someone who had a positive test? It's not like they are sending him home because he went to dinner.

One of the Refs that went to dinner tested positive. They sent the entire group home because they were at dinner with each other. A dinner that the group of Refs had first asked the NCAA if it was okay to do because their hotel rooms weren't ready. So they followed all the rules as dictated by the NCAA and were still penalized.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One of the Refs that went to dinner tested positive. They sent the entire group home because they were at dinner with each other. A dinner that the group of Refs had first asked the NCAA if it was okay to do because their hotel rooms weren't ready. So they followed all the rules as dictated by the NCAA and were still penalized.

This is disingenuous to say the least. They got permission to go out because the NCAA has its rules about quarantining which they weren't able to do because the hotel wasn't ready. But they weren't sent home because of breaking quarantine. They were sent home due to covid protocols.

Deleted member 2897

This is disingenuous to say the least. They got permission to go out because the NCAA has its rules about quarantining which they weren't able to do because the hotel wasn't ready. But they weren't sent home because of breaking quarantine. They were sent home due to covid protocols.

You're saying I'm being disingenuous? I'm merely reporting what happened. Nobody here that I've read said they broke quarantine. We said exactly what you just said - they asked permission to go out to eat since the hotel wasn't ready. They did that. Then one of them tested positive and they were all sent home. The others are complaining because they followed the rules and are testing negative but still got the boot. IIWII.

If it were me, and I were one of those Refs, I would have eaten outside or kept my space, so that I wouldn't risk getting covid. Or if one of the group tested positive I wouldn't be in the contact tracing. Same behavior we should all have been used to for several months now. I don't know if they did that or not. But by their level of frustration, I'm guessing they didn't behave irresponsibly and the NCAA is just being super aggressive.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You're saying I'm being disingenuous? I'm merely reporting what happened. Nobody here that I've read said they broke quarantine. We said exactly what you just said - they asked permission to go out to eat since the hotel wasn't ready. They did that. Then one of them tested positive and they were all sent home. The others are complaining because they followed the rules and are testing negative but still got the boot. IIWII.

I'm saying whoever is making the argument that they are being penalized for doing something the NCAA gave them permission to do is being disingenuous. If that's your argument then yes. If you are summarizing their argument then it isn't you.

Whether they asked permission of the NCAA to go to the dinner is irrelevant. It doesn't change the contract tracing protocols.

Deleted member 2897

I'm saying whoever is making the argument that they are being penalized for doing something the NCAA gave them permission to do is being disingenuous. If that's your argument then yes. If you are summarizing their argument then it isn't you.

Whether they asked permission of the NCAA to go to the dinner is irrelevant. It doesn't change the contract tracing protocols.

The second level detail is where the rubber meets the road as they say. Likely we'll never know. If I were one of them, I wouldn't be seated indoor in close proximity with other people outside my family. If they kept space, sat outside, or both, they have a legitimate argument to not be sent home. That's not "close contact for an extended period of time" as the NCAA published. If they were reckless, then its on them. I just find it ironic that TV Teddy is upset that in his words he was following the rules but is being punished anyway. Its a rich irony.