Ted Roof Bend but don't Break defense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In past - Even when we sucked we were aggressive - now we have good ball control offense and the HEAD coach lets the DC run a B but not Break

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I told my wife tonight the same thing. We would be in a shoot out against a good HS team. I can't stand seeing how much of a cushion we give teams on the edge. They could literally go down the field every time just throwing short out routes. What kinda recruit is going to come play db here seeing this mess?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You guys may all be correct so I have no need to defend CTR. Having said that, I look at this defense and just see holes everywhere. Without calling out players I would say we have at least two major holes on the defensive line and we have another hole at linebacker and we have at least two holes in the secondary. As a result I think that CTR is scheming the defense in the best possible way to give us a chance to win the game. Again, I could be wrong but it looks to me like if we play more aggressively on defense we will multiply the big play opportunities for our opponents. It sucks that this is the case but I just think personnel wise we are not very good and therefore try to hide our weaknesses as much as possible.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Seriously, just blitz on every down, could not be any worse. Tenuta did it in 2002 with undersized DL after losing numerous players before the season. Offense looked great, but if we have to outscore everyone, the offense can't even make one mistake. Oh well, on to the next one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You guys may all be correct so I have no need to defend CTR. Having said that, I look at this defense and just see holes everywhere. Without calling out players I would say we have at least two major holes on the defensive line and we have another hole at linebacker and we have at least two holes in the secondary. As a result I think that CTR is scheming the defense in the best possible way to give us a chance to win the game. Again, I could be wrong but it looks to me like if we play more aggressively on defense we will multiply the big play opportunities for our opponents. It sucks that this is the case but I just think personnel wise we are not very good and therefore try to hide our weaknesses as much as possible.

No doubt that a more aggressive scheme will result in giving up a few more quicker scores. Since we are giving up so many scores with status quo the question is " will more aggressive defensive scheme result in more stops?" One more stop per half could swing us from a loss to a win in some games, like the last two.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why so many of you guys think a better scheme would make much difference. How many of our starting D would start for UNC, Duke, Miami, VT? None would start for FSU. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why so many of you guys think a better scheme would make much difference. How many of our starting D would start for UNC, Duke, Miami, VT? None would start for FSU. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I don't think you get it. No one is suggesting that we can definitely become a top 30 or even top 50 D simply by just fixing scheme.

The hope is that we become top 75

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you get it. No one is suggesting that we can definitely become a top 30 or even top 50 D simply by just fixing scheme.

The hope is that we become top 75
I'm not so sure attacking wouldn't expose our soft back 7 and make them look worse than our front 4.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think PJ has told Roof not to give up any more big plays, in other words long touchdown passes. As a result we play to keep everything in front of us and do not take many chances . We never jump the outside route and play the run to limit the QB and as result we let the RB's have too much. I know we are limited personnel wise but we really need to rethink our defensive strategy. What we are doing is not working. This seems to be an epidemic on many college campuses. Alabama and Mississippi are about the only teams I have watched this year that really seem to play defense well.

Go Jackets!

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think PJ has told Roof not to give up any more big plays, in other words long touchdown passes. As a result we play to keep everything in front of us and do not take many chances . We never jump the outside route and play the run to limit the QB and as result we let the RB's have too much. I know we are limited personnel wise but we really need to rethink our defensive strategy. What we are doing is not working. This seems to be an epidemic on many college campuses. Alabama and Mississippi are about the only teams I have watched this year that really seem to play defense well.

Go Jackets!

This. I feel like I could call a better game drunk and I don't know half as much as Ted Roof has forgotten about defensive schemes and adjustments. We've had the same defensive gameplan for basically every opponent this season and we don't matchup well against the Dukes, UNCs, NC States, UVAs, etc. I think it'll work against Pitt if we can get hats on their RB, but we've got to make some adjustments for the rest of our schedule.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We can't blitz every down...but have to blitz more. More to the point though is the huge cushions our secondary gives to receivers. We simply can't succeed playing this way as much as we do. I don't know what the problem is that is forcing us into this but we gotta fix it.
Having said all that....how the hell are we getting beat deep playing this way? Cause we are.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We can't blitz every down...but have to blitz more. More to the point though is the huge cushions our secondary gives to receivers. We simply can't succeed playing this way as much as we do. I don't know what the problem is that is forcing us into this but we gotta fix it.
Having said all that....how the hell are we getting beat deep playing this way? Cause we are.
Because our db's aren't all that good.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our cover scheme made the 14 straight possible. Should make QBs like him beat us deep IMO. Get more physical with some tighter coverage...force receivers off their intended routes. I know you have to have speed to do this. Think we should put our guys with best chance of success and give it a whirl