Tech's 1952 National Championship season

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I think that may have had a lot to do with what happened in 1960 when 10-0-1 Ole Miss won the National Championship in one poll and 8-1 Minnesota won the National Championship in the other poll. There were no post Bowl Game polls back then. Ole Miss beat 7-3 Rice 17-13 in the Sugar Bowl while Minnesota lost 17-7 to 9-1 Washington in the Rose Bowl.
You have to remember too that at that time bowl games wouldn’t have factored into the decision because they were still considered exhibitions. The final polls would have come out before then.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing that Tech, or any southern team, won, or was even considered, in 1917 and 1929, although the Rose Bowl win over Cal, which I think WAS considered in the final standings, certainly helped.
Two polls voted Vanderbilt as National Champions in 1906 when they went 8-1(lost 10-4 to Michigan) and 1910 when they went 8-0-1(tied Yale 0-0);)

1906 Vandy

Kentucky State W 28-0
Ole Miss W 29-0
Alabama W 78-0
Texas W 45-0
Michigan L 10-4
Rose Poly W 33-0
Georgia Tech W 37-6
Carlisle W 4-0
Sewanee W 20-0

1910 Vandy

Mooney School W 34-0
Rose Poly W 23-0
Castle Heights W 14-0
Tennessee W 18-0
Yale T 0-0
Ole Miss W 9-2
LSU W 22-0
Georgia Tech W 22-0
Sewanee W 23-6

Georgia Tech should claim 1951 as a National Championship because one poll voted GT as National Champions.;)
I think the reason we don't is because we were not undefeated and untied as we were in 1952. Actually though, I think it is on a larger list of Tech NC's that totals 7, IIRC. Of course, I think the mutts also claim 6 themselves, even though one of those was, I think, 1957, when they had 2 losses. Too bad they only have ONE that is now universally recognized, since their 1942 one is now considered to have been won by Ohio State.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Rodgers for many years held several Sugar Bowl passing records. Might still. But just in January he was one of 18 players/coaches named to the first Sugar Bowl Football Hall of Fame. Betcha his head just about exploded, and he always did have trouble finding hats that fit.
Are you sure the passing records weren't held by Frank Broyles?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason we don't is because we were not undefeated and untied as we were in 1952. Actually though, I think it is on a larger list of Tech NC's that totals 7, IIRC. Of course, I think the mutts also claim 6 themselves, even though one of those was, I think, 1957, when they had 2 losses. Too bad they only have ONE that is now universally recognized, since their 1942 one is now considered to have been won by Ohio State.
UGAG was 3-7 in 1957. Tennessee claims 1967 as a National Championship when they were 9-2(lost 1967 opener to UCLA 20-16 and Orange Bowl 26-24 to Oklahoma) and Alabama claims 1941 as a National Championship when they lost 14-0 to Mississippi State and 7-0 to Vanderbilt. I figure if UT can claim 1967 and Alabama can claim 1941 GT can claim 1951.;)

I stand corrected. Sadly, that 3-7 mutt team in 1957 beat Tech, ending "the drought". The ridiculous claim was for the 8-1-2 team of 1968; undefeated Ohio State was the actual NC that year. Another ridiculous claim they make is for 1927. when they went 9-1, losing to Tech in the final game of the season. They also try to claim 1946, when they did go undefeated, but the title was given to Notre Dame.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I stand corrected. Sadly, that 3-7 mutt team in 1957 beat Tech, ending "the drought". The ridiculous claim was for the 8-1-2 team of 1968; undefeated Ohio State was the actual NC that year. Another ridiculous claim they make is for 1927. when they went 9-1, losing to Tech in the final game of the season. They also try to claim 1946, when they did go undefeated, but the title was given to Notre Dame.
;)(y)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Sugar Bowl against West Virginia was so one sided that the head of the Sugar Bowl committee apologized to Bobby Dodd for inviting West Virginia.
At one point there was an accusation that Dodd hand-picked West Virginia. If you want a rush of nostalgia read the history of the game and those names from the past will leap from the screen: Hardeman. Teas. Rodgers. Henry Hair.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
At one point there was an accusation that Dodd hand-picked West Virginia. If you want a rush of nostalgia read the history of the game and those names from the past will leap from the screen: Hardeman. Teas. Rodgers. Henry Hair.
GT should have been SEC Champions in 1953 there's no way they should have lost to a 6-3-3 Alabama team who was the worst SEC Champion in SEC history.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My big takeaway is that I wish we had Leon Hardeman and George Morris on the team right this minute. Hardeman would have been one of the baddest ABs ever and Morris would start at LB.

And, of course, we did have Hardeman on the team recently. True, he was named Robbie Godhigh, but it was Hardeman alright.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
My big takeaway is that I wish we had Leon Hardeman and George Morris on the team right this minute. Hardeman would have been one of the baddest ABs ever and Morris would start at LB.

And, of course, we did have Hardeman on the team recently. True, he was named Robbie Godhigh, but it was Hardeman alright.
I would be happy with Rock Perdoni,Smylie Gebhart,Buck Shiver and Bubba Hoats;)