Tech vs Louisville

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Usher played his heart out. Glad the guys fought back and didn’t go down without fighting hard at the end.
It's a perplexing fun team...that has the odd potential to ride up and compete with most teams...I hope our football teams gains a personality that differentiates itself similarly....

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am somewhat amazed at the general upbeat attitude of the group on here after last night. I have always been a big fan of CJP. I love his positive attitude and the way he represents Tech, and I wish him and our program only the best. But I also see that we just finished 12-20, and 5-15 in the ACC. And that we have no freshmen coming in next year. And that we were down by 27 points to one of the lesser teams in the ACC early in the first half of a tournament game. And that we got completely blown off the court by N.C. State several days ago. Is this the new normal? I went back and watched some You Tube videos from 1985-2004 of some of our good and great teams and do not understand why we cannot get back there again. We have a great arena, are in a great city, and are a short walk from an NBA team where scouts have easy access to seeing our games. I see basketball as a much easier fix than football. There just seems to be no expectation from our current fan base for it. Thanks for letting me vent.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am somewhat amazed at the general upbeat attitude of the group on here after last night. I have always been a big fan of CJP. I love his positive attitude and the way he represents Tech, and I wish him and our program only the best. But I also see that we just finished 12-20, and 5-15 in the ACC. And that we have no freshmen coming in next year. And that we were down by 27 points to one of the lesser teams in the ACC early in the first half of a tournament game. And that we got completely blown off the court by N.C. State several days ago. Is this the new normal? I went back and watched some You Tube videos from 1985-2004 of some of our good and great teams and do not understand why we cannot get back there again. We have a great arena, are in a great city, and are a short walk from an NBA team where scouts have easy access to seeing our games. I see basketball as a much easier fix than football. There just seems to be no expectation from our current fan base for it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Nobody's upbeat. Nobody's happy or satisfied. We just don't see a need to come on here and spit bile. That's all. Not saying that's what you're doing, just trying to hazard an answer to your question.

Don't worry, we all see what you see. It's just that the slope to all out toxicity is a slippery one we're trying to avoid.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Nothing unreasonable whatsoever about what you're saying. I'd go so far as to say if GT were serious about hoops, had plenty of money, and the football program was in decent shape, it would be a no-brainer to move on from Pastner today. But that isn't the case, so people largely accept the situation for now and hope for the best. Not even saying that's right or wrong, but that's where we're at.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Usher played his heart out. Glad the guys fought back and didn’t go down without fighting hard at the end.

Even before Usher smoothed out the rough edges of his game, one of the things you never questioned about Usher the day he stepped on the court for GT was his effort and intensity. He was always 100% in those categories even if his shot wasn't falling or he didn't get calls his way. Hopefully the younger guys saw that and will carry it forward.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't like the outcome of the game last night but I felt good after listening to that postgame press conference. Both Jordan and Michael come across as solid, well spoken, and all around good guys. I'm proud that they represent Tech and we are going to miss them next year.

I believe CJP will get the transfers we need for next year and our record will be a lot better. The freshmen will improve a lot over the next year IMO.

Go Jackets!!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think it's just less of a big deal. None of the best teams in the ACC this year are there because they recruited and developed young players (aside from Duke; who doesn't even really develop players). The best teams in the ACC just poached a couple double digit scoring upperclassmen from the transfer portal, so we will have every chance to follow in similar footsteps over the next few months. Wake Forest and Miami were bottom 3 in the league last year and are now 2 of the best teams in the conference. No reason we can't do that next year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A game representative of the season.Highlight--HUGE comeback but lose to another bad team. The reason we had a big comeback is ---the crap play that gave the lead to them.
Ush has climbed into Alvarado 's league this yr in effort..The man also actually sniffed a TRIPLE double a couple of times.I think Mike just wore down carrying the team for so long early.. (always remember his uga game).
It will take a monumental effort to get some BIG portal guys with talent to turn this ship around.If we had the money Pastner should not even have the chance. One NCAA game in 5 yrs ,ain't gonna cut it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think it's just less of a big deal. None of the best teams in the ACC this year are there because they recruited and developed young players (aside from Duke; who doesn't even really develop players). The best teams in the ACC just poached a couple double digit scoring upperclassmen from the transfer portal, so we will have every chance to follow in similar footsteps over the next few months. Wake Forest and Miami were bottom 3 in the league last year and are now 2 of the best teams in the conference. No reason we can't do that next year.
Agree so much with this. We need to be developing players for sure. That said the transfer portal opens up options for programs to paper over misses at the HS Recruit level. We also are a big and a combo guard away from being a pretty complete team. We need to get a pair of transfer players to fill those roles and we will be fine next season.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Agree so much with this. We need to be developing players for sure. That said the transfer portal opens up options for programs to paper over misses at the HS Recruit level. We also are a big and a combo guard away from being a pretty complete team. We need to get a pair of transfer players to fill those roles and we will be fine next season.

Problem is he's banking 100% on the transfer portal. 0 signees from HS.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Out of idle curiosity what have you seen with CJP that makes you believe he can pull in top flight ACC level talent as transfers? Secondly what have you seen CJP do than makes you believe he will modify his schemes to fit the magical players coming in as transfers?

His track record says he gets decent players via transfers but none that are All ACC caliber. His track record says he has a scheme that he coaches to regardless of his players abilities. He made a few slight modifications last year to accommodate Jose and Moses but basically stayed with his standard schemes on defense and offense.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Out of idle curiosity what have you seen with CJP that makes you believe he can pull in top flight ACC level talent as transfers? Secondly what have you seen CJP do than makes you believe he will modify his schemes to fit the magical players coming in as transfers?

His track record says he gets decent players via transfers but none that are All ACC caliber. His track record says he has a scheme that he coaches to regardless of his players abilities. He made a few slight modifications last year to accommodate Jose and Moses but basically stayed with his standard schemes on defense and offense.
Agree with you about "his schematics", they exposed Devoe for sure and he did not help him boost his stock for the NBA, his name has not shown up on any mock draft boards not that that matters since Jose nor Moses names were on draft boards either, but he did adjust for their individual strengths. Devoe strength is not his drives yes he is crafty, but not against more athletic defenders... time after time JP basically said give it to Devoe and let him create/do whatever he wants off dribble. Obviously we now know for sure the end result. If you a great offensive player you will normally draw double teams, so find out where the help comes pass them the ball & cut to basket is an option for sure. No reason in my opinion he should have to had to take shot attempts over 3 players. JP should have ran him off screens, caused more mismatches (big to guard situations). Khalid & Usher should have had more points in transition to cater to their strengths. Usher was the only player who consistently pushed the ball up the floor for off his rebounds or steals. Sturdivant walked it up mostly every single time regardless of who was in front of him or speed dribble up passed them to throw up a crazy shot. Still searching for justification as to why we have a player that finishes Top 10 in 3pt % (Coleman) in ACC and we do not run any sets for him or force those on sidelines or those on court to hunt for him after he has hit a couple. Kelly came on late with his shooting why are we not hunting him more last night or in the BC game on Sat. We had a legitimate outside threats with Coleman, Devoe, & Kelly clearly all their strengths and we never made adjustments to cater to them. As a fan yes losing is frustrating especially when we have the tools to have been good.

Watching other teams move the ball and annihilate us with 3 balls because they pass up good shots for better shots to the right person. Louisville used Williams until his well ran dry & then came Locke he had 22 at the half last night I may be wrong, but Louisville continued to hunt him shots since he was making them and they made sure West took the 2nd 3 after he made that 1st to put the dagger in us last night. Sturdivant hit our 1st 7 points and then substitutions and the run begins and as soon as Usher gets in he takes a quick shot, even though the previous possessions the shots had come well into the shot clock. This game is 90% mental & 10% physical it is not 80-20 anymore.

NO WAY IN HELL WE SHOULD HAVE HAD A 20 loss season and this was a down year for the ACC the talent was far and between for all teams. Our players were were at a disservice we didn't put them in situations to make them look on the floor. It is not their fault.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you about "his schematics", they exposed Devoe for sure and he did not help him boost his stock for the NBA, his name has not shown up on any mock draft boards not that that matters since Jose nor Moses names were on draft boards either, but he did adjust for their individual strengths. Devoe strength is not his drives yes he is crafty, but not against more athletic defenders... time after time JP basically said give it to Devoe and let him create/do whatever he wants off dribble. Obviously we now know for sure the end result. If you a great offensive player you will normally draw double teams, so find out where the help comes pass them the ball & cut to basket is an option for sure. No reason in my opinion he should have to had to take shot attempts over 3 players. JP should have ran him off screens, caused more mismatches (big to guard situations). Khalid & Usher should have had more points in transition to cater to their strengths. Usher was the only player who consistently pushed the ball up the floor for off his rebounds or steals. Sturdivant walked it up mostly every single time regardless of who was in front of him or speed dribble up passed them to throw up a crazy shot. Still searching for justification as to why we have a player that finishes Top 10 in 3pt % (Coleman) in ACC and we do not run any sets for him or force those on sidelines or those on court to hunt for him after he has hit a couple. Kelly came on late with his shooting why are we not hunting him more last night or in the BC game on Sat. We had a legitimate outside threats with Coleman, Devoe, & Kelly clearly all their strengths and we never made adjustments to cater to them. As a fan yes losing is frustrating especially when we have the tools to have been good.

Watching other teams move the ball and annihilate us with 3 balls because they pass up good shots for better shots to the right person. Louisville used Williams until his well ran dry & then came Locke he had 22 at the half last night I may be wrong, but Louisville continued to hunt him shots since he was making them and they made sure West took the 2nd 3 after he made that 1st to put the dagger in us last night. Sturdivant hit our 1st 7 points and then substitutions and the run begins and as soon as Usher gets in he takes a quick shot, even though the previous possessions the shots had come well into the shot clock. This game is 90% mental & 10% physical it is not 80-20 anymore.

NO WAY IN HELL WE SHOULD HAVE HAD A 20 loss season and this was a down year for the ACC the talent was far and between for all teams. Our players were were at a disservice we didn't put them in situations to make them look on the floor. It is not their fault.
Good post!! The players do share some blame as they were the ones who did not get it done many times when they had the opportunity. But this CJP's team and mess to try and fix for sure!