Tech Admissions and You

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You may have seen this article in the ajc:
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgia-tech-too-elite/FU5cY79ag9U7R16dV9ilUI/

I have been through college admissions with two sons in the last 3 years. The point of this post is that Tech Admissions does not value legacies. Not at all. That is not just my opinion, it is the experience of many who have been through the process. It is also the opinion of a member of the Alumni Board who I know.

If you are parent or grandparent, or may become one, you may be impacted.

My younger son was denied admission to Tech. He has a 790 math SAT, 13 AP courses (4 or 5's on all but one--got a 3 on AP US History--he's a math and science guy) and he graduated from the number one HS in the US according to US News. He is an Eagle Scout, and has numerous outside activities-- including his robotics team winning 1st place in engineering in a national competition. He will attend an out of state university whose computer science program is on par with Georgia Tech's by every measure. Tech will miss out on a good student who is a legacy, while alienating this alum. I am not the only alum who has been alienated by Admissions.

Rick Clark is eloquent, and prolific in his writing, which seems to give him credibility to the outside world. However, Alumni should be up in arms over his administration of Admissions.

Clark talks about a "holistic process." I assume that means a subjective process that takes into account many factors. One of those factors should be legacy. In fact it should be weighted heavily--like it is at Ivy League schools like Penn. It hasn't hurt their reputation. But being a legacy doesn't seem to matter to Tech's admissions.

I believe I understand how Tech makes its admissions decisions, and it is seemingly a very lazy approach that is not "holistic" at all. That seems to be a word they hide behind to justify their actions.

And yes, I am familiar with the Conditional Transfer Pathways. My older son is at Tech by a Pathway, and yes, it worked well for him since he was a slow starter in HS (why does Admissions take into account HS freshman grades but not HS senior grades? I digress).

However, while the pathway will help get you a Tech degree,the transfer experience is a different experience. My closest friends from Tech 49 years later are people I met in Smith dorm as a freshman. My biggest worry about my older son's acclimation to Tech is social one--it's different as a transfer. He will never have the freshman RAT experience.

My younger son will have no reason to transfer to Tech. He is admitted to a top tier computer science program and odds are he will stay there. The Transfer Pathway doesn't work for top students who are denied by Tech but are admitted to schools that are equally good.

My opinion-and again I am not the only one-is that the transfer pathway for legacies actually hurts an applicant's chances of admission out of HS. This shows that Admissions has no understanding of the freshman experience at Tech and places no value on it for legacies, who would probably appreciate it the most.

I was contemplating a significant donation to Tech--at least as much as what they call the Family donation of $25,000. My wife made the comment that Admissions cost Tech a significant donation, and it's true. I'll donate a nominal amount to keep my consecutive years of Roll Call going. But that's all. The silver lining is that I will increase my donation to the AT Fund. Go Jackets and to Hell with the Hill (ever notice there is only one letter difference?).

The bottom line is that loyalty is a two way street. If Tech wants loyalty from its alumni, it needs to reciprocate. Until then, my checkbook is closed and they will know why. I'm doing it for your children and grandchildren since it's too late for my children.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@jacketup Sorry that happed to you man. If it was me I’d be pissed.

I checked out that Pathways process you mentioned. Nowhere in there is any requirements to take the courses at a top university so how exactly does that validate that a kid is somehow more worthy of attending that what his original application contained?

No mention of additional community service, no requirement for different/additional recommendations, no mention of how you’d suddenly be a better institutional fit. I just don’t get it.

I really don’t understand how one of the premier engineering schools in the world cannot figure out how to grow enough to accommodate nearly every top tier engineering student that wanted to attend GT. They could generate an honors engineering program for all of today’s rocket scientists that meet all their elite criteria, set up regular engineering classes for all the other top notch candidates that can’t quite make the cut but would make exceptional engineers otherwise. I’m sure that wouldn’t devalue our precious degrees & make everyone wee themselves.

Deleted member 2897

I have been through college admissions with two sons in the last 3 years. The point of this post is that Tech Admissions does not value legacies. Not at all. That is not just my opinion, it is the experience of many who have been through the process. It is also the opinion of a member of the Alumni Board who I know.

My younger son was denied admission to Tech. He has a 790 math SAT, 13 AP courses (4 or 5's on all but one--got a 3 on AP US History--he's a math and science guy) and he graduated from the number one HS in the US according to US News. He is an Eagle Scout, and has numerous outside activities-- including his robotics team winning 1st place in engineering in a national competition. He will attend an out of state university whose computer science program is on par with Georgia Tech's by every measure. Tech will miss out on a good student who is a legacy, while alienating this alum. I am not the only alum who has been alienated by Admissions.

Rick Clark is eloquent, and prolific in his writing, which seems to give him credibility to the outside world. However, Alumni should be up in arms over his administration of Admissions.

Clark talks about a "holistic process." I assume that means a subjective process that takes into account many factors. One of those factors should be legacy. In fact it should be weighted heavily--like it is at Ivy League schools like Penn. It hasn't hurt their reputation. But being a legacy doesn't seem to matter to Tech's admissions.

I believe I understand how Tech makes its admissions decisions, and it is seemingly a very lazy approach that is not "holistic" at all. That seems to be a word they hide behind to justify their actions.

And yes, I am familiar with the Conditional Transfer Pathways. My older son is at Tech by a Pathway, and yes, it worked well for him since he was a slow starter in HS (why does Admissions take into account HS freshman grades but not HS senior grades? I digress).

However, while the pathway will help get you a Tech degree,the transfer experience is a different experience. My closest friends from Tech 49 years later are people I met in Smith dorm as a freshman. My biggest worry about my older son's acclimation to Tech is social one--it's different as a transfer. He will never have the freshman RAT experience.

My younger son will have no reason to transfer to Tech. He is admitted to a top tier computer science program and odds are he will stay there. The Transfer Pathway doesn't work for top students who are denied by Tech but are admitted to schools that are equally good.

My opinion-and again I am not the only one-is that the transfer pathway for legacies actually hurts an applicant's chances of admission out of HS. This shows that Admissions has no understanding of the freshman experience at Tech and places no value on it for legacies, who would probably appreciate it the most.

I was contemplating a significant donation to Tech--at least as much as what they call the Family donation of $25,000. My wife made the comment that Admissions cost Tech a significant donation, and it's true. I'll donate a nominal amount to keep my consecutive years of Roll Call going. But that's all. The silver lining is that I will increase my donation to the AT Fund. Go Jackets and to Hell with the Hill (ever notice there is only one letter difference?).

The bottom line is that loyalty is a two way street. If Tech wants loyalty from its alumni, it needs to reciprocate. Until then, my checkbook is closed and they will know why. I'm doing it for your children and grandchildren since it's too late for my children.

So much of this world seems to have gone down the toilet. Your son should have gotten in regardless of legacy. This is pure insanity.

My wife and I met at Tech and are both alums. We’re already assuming our son won’t get in no matter anything. Your sons resume is a perfect example of that. Sad.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I feel your pain. GT has told me directly they do NOT consider legacy one way or another. I dislike it also. Your son would likely have been admitted if he were in a favored category (female or black, mostly). Sometimes, life isn’t fair....

IE2016ZTR

Georgia Tech Fan
@jacketup I am so sorry! Your son's resume is incredible and I cannot believe he was not accepted.

I would get someone on the phone, use your network, you know someone who knows someone that can correct this situation.

Eventually, Tech will consider "Legacy" again - it is a two-way street.

Deleted member 2897

@jacketup I am so sorry! Your son's resume is incredible and I cannot believe he was not accepted.

I would get someone on the phone, use your network, you know someone who knows someone that can correct this situation.

Eventually, Tech will consider "Legacy" again - it is a two-way street.

Tech needs to raise more money...frequently from people whose children they declined admission to. This will not turn out well.

IE2016ZTR

Georgia Tech Fan
@bwelbo I read something from the Alumni Magazine this morning that of the 6% of legacy applications, that group does have the highest acceptance rate.

https://www.gtalumni.org/s/1481/alumni/17/magazine-pages.aspx?sid=1481&gid=21&pgid=15663

@jacketup I highly recommend your son transfers to Tech for CS. Those schools could be on par with Tech's program, but it is known in the industry that Tech produces some of the best CS talent. Transferring sucks, I did it after skipping law school. I won't be able to share some of the same beginning experiences as my father, but I get the share the ending and getting that degree.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I can empathize. Mine got in last year by the skin of his teeth after an initial deferral. I have a lot of friends whose children have not gotten in despite stellar credentials. It has definitely affected their desire to donate, but the hill does not care. BTW, it was relayed to us after the fact that not only is legacy not a plus, it is a minus. If there is any hint in any essay of it, admissions considers it a black mark. So anyone having children applying next year, avoid any such mention like the plague.

Deleted member 2897

I can empathize. Mine got in last year by the skin of his teeth after an initial deferral. I have a lot of friends whose children have not gotten in despite stellar credentials. It has definitely affected their desire to donate, but the hill does not care. BTW, it was relayed to us after the fact that not only is legacy not a plus, it is a minus. If there is any hint in any essay of it, admissions considers it a black mark. So anyone having children applying next year, avoid any such mention like the plague.

I still remember being at the pre-game social the night before the Kentucky bowl game. Bud Peterson was working the crowd. He rotated through our small group of 6 or 8 standing around talking and we had some good words. My wife and I both went to Tech and both our kids were there that night. Bud asked if our kids were going to Tech, and with a smile and obvious all-in-fun joking disposition, I said "well we're out of state, it depends on what scholarships you guys can swing!" - Bud just turned and walked away. The whole group looked at each other like "Did that really just happen?" I think some people at the top think their **** doesn't stink.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I still remember being at the pre-game social the night before the Kentucky bowl game. Bud Peterson was working the crowd. He rotated through our small group of 6 or 8 standing around talking and we had some good words. My wife and I both went to Tech and both our kids were there that night. Bud asked if our kids were going to Tech, and with a smile and obvious all-in-fun joking disposition, I said "well we're out of state, it depends on what scholarships you guys can swing!" - Bud just turned and walked away. The whole group looked at each other like "Did that really just happen?" I think some people at the top think their **** doesn't stink.
I think you are right. I know several that have had similar interactions. Rick Clark, in my opinion, is also one of those. He definitely seems to fancy himself the smartest person in the room and if you dare disagree with any of his BS then you are just a sore loser idiot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Look to your left, look to your right. Only 1 in 3 of you future grads will continue to donate to GT after HS acceptance letters are sent out for your kids.

The GT shaft keeps on giving.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is also further proof that there are not enough schools in state for engineering degrees. With good engineering programs. BOR has let the ball drop for our entire state.

This actually bolsters the argument for opening schools of engineering at uga, Ga Southern, Ga. St., etc. Tech can remain an elite engineering school but it may be past time to have only one elite in state engineering school.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Been said for years that there are certain elements in power at GT that are so smart they are stupid.

But for last 10 - 20 years it has added the elements of arrogance and undeserved elitism.

Many of us long ago said to forget Roll Call & Alumni Assn and transfer all that to GTAA. Things like this were a significant reason for doing it.

A friend of mine from h.s., who got his ARCH degree from GT, had a very similar thing happen with his son.

He now only gives to GTAA, but All his academic donations go to Tulane.

Stupidity at its finest on the part of GT.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
This is also further proof that there are not enough schools in state for engineering degrees. With good engineering programs. BOR has let the ball drop for our entire state.

This actually bolsters the argument for opening schools of engineering at uga, Ga Southern, Ga. St., etc. Tech can remain an elite engineering school but it may be past time to have only one elite in state engineering school.
GA Southern has recently started (2017 I think) giving out Masters degrees in Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical engineering .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk