Team Speed

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
A while back (when CPJ was on the hot seat) @Boomergump created a thread to discuss how we as fans would distribute scholarships. There was a lot of discussion around size vs speed and which was more important given the offense we run. I think we have the best mix of both on this team.

Snoddy, JT, M. Marshall all have good speed on O. I really like the size of Skov as a compliment to the speed of the other guys.

Do you guys think we have the best mix? Where would you like to see more size or speed?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think it comes down to position. At Aback, I think fans often undervalue size. Size helps both with blocking and with the running, as the way we block often leaves defenders in a position to still get an arm on the back, and having the strength to be able to take those bumps without losing speed is important.

Bback is the opposite. I think fans have a tendency to overvalue size, believing that if all you get is 4 yards every time, it is enough. When you have a homerun threat, it forces defenses to pack in a bit more, makes blocking angles better, and gives an extra half second to make reads. I think it makes other plays, like the load and passes to the bback, more viable/effective. Need to be big enough to take the beating, but after that speed all the way.

OL there is certainly a minimum level of quickness required. We have to be able to get to the linebackers in time. For a couple of years, this was a problem and it caused a lot of penetration. After that level though, it's all size and strength.

WR, all size.

QB I think can go either way, or just about any mix. Nesbitt's size brought a lot of things to the table that we won't see with Thomas, but the opposite is also true. In general I'd say if you have all the other pieces speed is better. If you don't, then size.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Defense:
...size - DT...DT...SDE...MLB
...speed - else
Offense:
...AB...3 with size and 3 with speed
...BB...2 with size and 1 with speed
...WR...4 with size and 2 with speed
...QB...skill/leadership overshadows size or speed
...OL...size and mobility

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
You have to have ability also.

Remember Hewitts latter basketball recruits: big and fast. Problems began when they had to dribble, shoot, or pass the ball in bounds!

Spandex

Georgia Tech Fan
Up until last year, I always wondered why Navy seemed to run their offense much faster. With JT and the rest of our speedy team last year, the question was no longer applicable. Even the defense seemed faster.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Up until last year, I always wondered why Navy seemed to run their offense much faster. With JT and the rest of our speedy team last year, the question was no longer applicable. Even the defense seemed faster.
As I remember, Johnson -- in a remarkable break from neutrality, having coached both -- scoffed at that notion. Run the option better, perhaps, having been at it longer, but not faster. I do agree that Thomas takes it to another level altogether. FSU and MSU particularly seemed puzzled by its velocity.

slugboy

Staff member
I saw Barry Sanders and John Riggins play. It was hard to stop either of them.

I wouldn't favor one or the other. I'm fine with "my guys are too big for you to tackle or block" and "my guys are too fast for you to catch".

On defense (and I would guess on offensive line), you gotta be both, though.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
A while back (when CPJ was on the hot seat) @Boomergump created a thread to discuss how we as fans would distribute scholarships. There was a lot of discussion around size vs speed and which was more important given the offense we run. I think we have the best mix of both on this team.

Snoddy, JT, M. Marshall all have good speed on O. I really like the size of Skov as a compliment to the speed of the other guys.

Do you guys think we have the best mix? Where would you like to see more size or speed?
I liked the size of Jordan at A Back. He was laying it to some people on the edge.