Team mesh

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Injuries always hurt a team because of numbers, but right now I'm wondering if its way beyond numbers, with us running the triple option it has to be hard for our guys to mesh together right now, it's almost as if our guys have not learned each others stregthes and weaknesses. Everytime they look around its a new guy on the field, and we are just way out of sync. I know we are missing assinments like crazy, but this is the reason I believe we are having so many struggles, we just haven't had the time together. Imo it's not a talent issue at all, put this with having very young skilled position guys, and you get what we have been getting. Does anyone know how many different set ups we have had on offense from the skilled position guys? One last thing I have notice, that I have never seen so much of, is all the guys that are coming in unblocked our guy literally run right past them to pick up "their" guy, but if a guy misses a block and you come through the hole to make a block why are our guys looking at getting a guy 5 yards down filed instead of the guy that is coming straight through the hole? Any thoughts? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going to take a guess (and this a guess only!!!) that because since ND the guys have been told "do your job, do your assignment and quit trying to make a play" and ... they're doing just that.

I HAVE NEVER PLAYED so those more knowledgeable than me (that's all of you :) ) correct me -- but in your scenario the guy going through the hole should try to slow the defender coming through, if there is one due to a missed assignment, on his way to his own assignment? If he can? And he is either not doing so, or can't.

Those who know better than me please correct my visualization if wrong.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am going to take a guess (and this a guess only!!!) that because since ND the guys have been told "do your job, do your assignment and quit trying to make a play" and ... they're doing just that.

I HAVE NEVER PLAYED so those more knowledgeable than me (that's all of you :) ) correct me -- but in your scenario the guy going through the hole should try to slow the defender coming through, if there is one due to a missed assignment, on his way to his own assignment? If he can? And he is either not doing so, or can't.

Those who know better than me please correct my visualization if wrong.
Unless you're optioning off a particular defender, typically, as a blocker, you pick up the first guy you reach. It doesn't do any good to block the 2nd guy if the 1st guy makes the tackle behind you.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Unless you're optioning off a particular defender, typically, as a blocker, you pick up the first guy you reach. It doesn't do any good to block the 2nd guy if the 1st guy makes the tackle behind you.

I watched one play in particular several times (it was similar to many others I am afraid). The DE took the BB (as expected) but the MLB came crashing up to take the QB causing him to be the unexpected pitch option player and the OLB (the expected pitch option player) sled outside and swallowed up our AB. The result was the same no matter whether the QB kept the ball or whether the pitch was made to the AB....a loss. If the OT or C cannot get to the MLB it seems to me the only option is to have the AB take the MLB and the OT release on the CB or DB. If we do not stop that MLB charge on the QB we will never execute the triple....unless we burn them up the middle with the BB and force the MLB to stay home.