Team Building With The Program

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Oh, come off it. I didn't;t say it wouldn't work - though I doubt it will;. What I said was that winning is the way to build teams. I say this, btw, after being part of several winning teams at both the high school and collegiate level.
Stop it while you're ahead still able to tread water. That wasn't one of your better efforts.

slugboy

Staff member
After a year of isolation and not being able to coach like our coaches normally coach, or train like our players normally train, or hang out like they normally hang out, it’s good to have a reminder that there’s something to look forward to. Part of being a team is connecting with each other, and there was less of that last year than usual.
Everyone probably needed to let steam off after last year, more than normally. If your batteries get depleted you gotta recharge them.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You know, I went through something a little like this in high school back in the Dark Ages. It was fun, but it made no difference in our season and how the team worked. I know this because the year the coaches tried it we didn't do as well as we expected. As losses mounted, the level of teamwork and commitment decreased.

Or, to put it more simply, the way to build a team is to win. It really is that simple.
Actually it really isn't that simple. Winning isn’t what builds a team. Winning is a measure of success that is something that tells you you’ve built a great team. Winning, once you achieve some measure of it, helps you sustain and makes it much easier to continue building on that success because it usually makes other, high performers, want to be part of the team. But you don't start with "I'm going to win so I can build a better team." That's nonsense.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, I went through something a little like this in high school back in the Dark Ages. It was fun, but it made no difference in our season and how the team worked. I know this because the year the coaches tried it we didn't do as well as we expected. As losses mounted, the level of teamwork and commitment decreased.

Or, to put it more simply, the way to build a team is to win. It really is that simple.
I'd actually suggest that these types of team-building activities help teams weather the losses and struggles longer before crumbling. They make it so a tough loss or 2 in a row are less likely to snowball into more losses down the road.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
There are a handful of people that, no matter the subject, can't wait to get their negative posts in. At least they are consistent. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm pretty sure he is the same dude who got upset back in March at players doing a squat dance on St. Patrick's Day. Like the S&C staff were putting the knees of our players in unnecessary danger by allowing them to do a traditional dance.

Oh yeah, same guy who insisted for months that Gibbs wasn't a great prospect because he didn't want to give Collins a recruiting win. Said something along the lines of "same skillset as Tony Amerson, but much smaller. He'll do. Might start one day."

Definitely consistent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah, same guy who insisted for months that Gibbs wasn't a great prospect because he didn't want to give Collins a recruiting win. Said something along the lines of "same skillset as Tony Amerson, but much smaller. He'll do. Might start one day."
Go back and rea my posts on Gibbs. I never said anything like this. I did say I wasn't as impressed as others here based on his junior films. I came around quickly when I saw his senior films, largely because he had grown and put on speed. Exactly what he needed to do.

And I fail to see why any opinion of anyone on this board can give Collins a "recruiting win". The only thing that can give him something like that is, of course, performance on the field. That means Gibbs was a recruiting win, by any measure.

GT_EE78

Banned
I've done the corporate version of this kind of retreat a couple of times.
One fun challenge was to get the team thru a rope matrix of about 18" squares.
about 25 had to all get to the other side and each hole can only bee used once.
some can crawl or step thru but others have to be lifted.
Some ladies have body parts of more than 18" diameter.