Film Room Tax 3 Defense Slow Motions

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind with your comments that these are our student athletes that sweat blood on bobby Dodd field every Saturday in the fall!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Jeez louise - the run game needs support from the secondary you know. I thought we made it a tough 5 yards to get and the CB made a great play coming up and the nickel made a good tackle.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
#20 too slow to read and react. Could have been a TFL if he had had his eyes on the slot from the get go and reacted immediately.

really? I'm not good at dissecting defense, but it looks to me like he is lined up in a LB spot on that play. I assume he was supposed to support against runs. At slow speed, he turned his shoulder before the ball was being thrown, and was running toward the slot receiver before the ball left the QB's hands. I believe the slot receiver was supposed to be guarded by #4? the safety. The buddy I go to the games with complains constantly about the coverage being 10-15 yards off of the receivers. In this case it was 12.5 yards off of the line of scrimmage.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
All I'm going to say is our guys better get their eyes in the right place this year or we could be in trouble on D again. The QB did not even fake to the RB and we had LB's and another taking a step or more inside. If that play is read right it should /could have been a stop of 2 yards or less. That's why Bama, Clemson and the other top D's are so good, they don't get fooled as often with that stuff.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
really? I'm not good at dissecting defense, but it looks to me like he is lined up in a LB spot on that play. I assume he was supposed to support against runs. At slow speed, he turned his shoulder before the ball was being thrown, and was running toward the slot receiver before the ball left the QB's hands. I believe the slot receiver was supposed to be guarded by #4? the safety. The buddy I go to the games with complains constantly about the coverage being 10-15 yards off of the receivers. In this case it was 12.5 yards off of the line of scrimmage.
He was only 8.5 yards off the LOS.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The LOS is at the 46 yard line and he's lined up at the 45 and a half. I think you might be looking at where he's catching the ball?

That is #17. I was talking about the safety. However, I take it from Ibeeballin's post that the safety wasn't responsible for the slot recevier.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure it was that bad of a set. It was 2&7 and We were able to react quickly enough to hold them to a 3rd and short 3 or so. For our offense thats not good for the defense. But for most offenses its so so.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
All I'm going to say is our guys better get their eyes in the right place this year or we could be in trouble on D again. The QB did not even fake to the RB and we had LB's and another taking a step or more inside. If that play is read right it should /could have been a stop of 2 yards or less. That's why Bama, Clemson and the other top D's are so good, they don't get fooled as often with that stuff.

I think you are being overly critical on the LBs on this play. Remember our Dline wasn't dominating anybody stopping the run. So yeah they were probably looking to crash down to stop the run first and foremost.

Bama,Clemson and other top Ds are so good because they have monsters on the LOS.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Play looks like a RPO, and the alignment dictated run.

Was the alignment off? Looks like a great play by Lawrence to get over there. The Safeties were almost 15 yards off the line and backpedaling. If we thought it was going to be a run play, wouldn't you run at least run the safety up on the field side?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think you are being overly critical on the LBs on this play. Remember our Dline wasn't dominating anybody stopping the run. So yeah they were probably looking to crash down to stop the run first and foremost.

Bama,Clemson and other top Ds are so good because they have monsters on the LOS.
I could understand if the QB sold the fake, but he didn't even fake the handoff.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
About standard for our def--did ok but 20 was a tad slow to ball and we were off LOS a good ways to start.It was a no risk play for them and could have good even more yds.