Film Room Tax 2 Defense Slow Motions

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
MLB can't get off the block and is pushed back 10 yards and is never in position to make a play. Nickel back is not fooled and pursues across the field and is in position to make a play. CB starts to take himself out but recovers and makes a good play. DE crashes down (even though two players out of the backfield are coming his way) and takes himself out. WLB plays it pretty well at the LOS but also gets blocked, gives up 5 yards, but does fight in the right direction. The free safety is playing it safe and staying back to see what develops but he is too far away to make a play.? Strong safety lines up on the other side in the box and is not involved.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
MLB can't get off the block and is pushed back 10 yards and is never in position to make a play. Nickel back is not fooled and pursues across the field and is in position to make a play. CB starts to take himself out but recovers and makes a good play. DE crashes down (even though two players out of the backfield are coming his way) and takes himself out. WLB plays it pretty well at the LOS but also gets blocked, gives up 5 yards, but does fight in the right direction. The free safety is playing it safe and staying back to see what develops but he is too far away to make a play.? Strong safety lines up on the other side in the box and is not involved.

PJ was taking on the fullback blocking out of the backfield, met the FB at the LOS...and forced the play outside where a dB crashed down to make the tackle, giving up 3 yards. Pretty well played.

BM got blocked by the LT. Yeah he needs to try and get around the LT....OTs able to engage MLB a yard off the LOS are often going to win that war.

I think Freeman crashed down to chase the possible pitch that could have taken the play the opposite direction.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
PJ was taking on the fullback blocking out of the backfield, met the FB at the LOS...and forced the play outside where a dB crashed down to make the tackle, giving up 3 yards. Pretty well played.

BM got blocked by the LT. Yeah he needs to try and get around the LT....OTs able to engage MLB a yard off the LOS are often going to win that war.

I think Freeman crashed down to chase the possible pitch that could have taken the play the opposite direction.

Agree about PJ. CB makes a play that probably saves a TD unless the Nickel gets there from the other side of the LOS. MLB and DE should have been somewhere near the play ending. There were no other players in position to stop this play. The four outside players pre-snap were WLB, MLB, DE, and CB and only the WLB and the CB played this well.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing that there is no one to block to the DB at the top of the screen it seems to me that the success of the play depended entirely on either that DB flowing with the motion to either take himself out of the play or setting up a one-on-one matchup between the runner and a defender. I don't know, maybe it wasn't run well by the offense. The Tech defense seemed to recognize the play and defend it OK. I agree that if that DB doesn't make the tackle, the play potentially goes for a TD; at a minimum it goes for very nearly a first down.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Seeing that there is no one to block to the DB at the top of the screen it seems to me that the success of the play depended entirely on either that DB flowing with the motion to either take himself out of the play or setting up a one-on-one matchup between the runner and a defender. I don't know, maybe it wasn't run well by the offense. The Tech defense seemed to recognize the play and defend it OK. I agree that if that DB doesn't make the tackle, the play potentially goes for a TD; at a minimum it goes for very nearly a first down.

All about numbers. Pre-snap they only have 3 blockers for 4- 5 defenders

This play was going for 5-6 max if Step missed. Even tho Brant got ate up, he took the blocker on correctly by forcing the runner out to Step AND keeping the pursuit (Law) play clean

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A smoke route to the opposite wide receiver could've been huge too. Our corner on that side was at least 12 yards off of him at the snap.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah and he was expected to be uncovered and out of harms way too
Wasn't JT one of our leading ball carriers and ran through "harms way" constantly? One on one vs a db in space with a 12 yard cushion.... I like my chances and much less chance of getting smashed if you ask me.