Tariq Drafted by the Packers

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
1651354970494.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else pissed we had an NFL linebacker playing out of position?

To be fair, I've heard that both Juanyeh and Tariq were asked to move to LB but they both wanted to stay at DB.

@iceeater1969 pointed out several years ago that Andy McCollum and CPJ thought Juanyeh would eventually grow into a LB...he did, but it sounds like he preferred DB and didn't want to move.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, I've heard that both Juanyeh and Tariq were asked to move to LB but they both wanted to stay at DB.

@iceeater1969 pointed out several years ago that Andy McCollum and CPJ thought Juanyeh would eventually grow into a LB...he did, but it sounds like he preferred DB and didn't want to move.

DB's get bigger checks than most LBs. Its hard to move from a starting position to one that you see as cluttered. (and with 2 positions on the field LB was kinda cluttered.)

I think if we were still running a 3-4 riq atleast would have dropped down to OLB.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

And to further be fair, it looks like he'll still be playing some DB in the NFL.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
So is Tariq guaranteed a paycheck as a draftee? Or can he be cut? Is the only difference between being drafted and a UDFA that you have a longer contract?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
So is Tariq guaranteed a paycheck as a draftee? Or can he be cut? Is the only difference between being drafted and a UDFA that you have a longer contract?
Some people say that being an udfa is a better situation than a late round pick because you choose where you sign. That said, getting drafted pretty much guarantees a contract. The signing bonus is paid up front and, depending on the contract, a certain part or all of the salary is guaranteed