Tale of the Tape: Breakdown of Techs Quarterbacks heading into 2018

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had chance to visit with his father at the mid season game. He said he was now over the shoulder injury. (I had mentioned that in some of his playing time he had favored his shoulder when being tackled.)

I could be wrong but iirc he did hang up his cleats while not playing this year. Seems like he was injured.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I had chance to visit with his father at the mid season game. He said he was now over the shoulder injury. (I had mentioned that in some of his playing time he had favored his shoulder when being tackled.)

I could be wrong but iirc he did hang up his cleats while not playing this year. Seems like he was injured.

Well according to his cousin, on this board, he was healthy enough at the start of the season to win the job, and expected (by him) to win it.

He played and got further injuries before hanging em up.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Great job Fletch! James will probably need to redshirt but make no mistake this guy has the "IT" factor. That leaves Tobias, LJ, and TM. I would like to see a true open quarterback competition but in all likelihood it will not happen. TM will remain the starter. In that case, he needs to improve in virtually all aspects of being a triple option quarterback particularly in pitching the ball. His footwork is very good and no one should question his heart, toughness, and running ability but for the love of God 37% passing rate again will ensure another losing season IMHO.

CPJ clearly stated at the end of the year that the QB competition was wide open. The frustrated tone in which he said it makes me firmly believe that it will be.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
CPJ clearly stated at the end of the year that the QB competition was wide open. The frustrated tone in which he said it makes me firmly believe that it will be.

Two things about Marshall may account for Coach Johnson's frustration: Being told repeatedly to pitch the ball instead of holding on to it and an inability to hit open receivers. Of course, in TM's defense, it is hard to see open receivers when you are running for your life and on the matter of pitching the ball there was the ongoing problem of not executing blocks on the perimeter coupled with teams selling out to stop the outside runs. Teams that are rushing safeties to the corner to stop the pitchman are begging to be burned down the middle. The question is can TM or someone else make that pass consistently?

slugboy

Staff member
Two things about Marshall may account for Coach Johnson's frustration: Being told repeatedly to pitch the ball instead of holding on to it and an inability to hit open receivers. Of course, in TM's defense, it is hard to see open receivers when you are running for your life and on the matter of pitching the ball there was the ongoing problem of not executing blocks on the perimeter coupled with teams selling out to stop the outside runs. Teams that are rushing safeties to the corner to stop the pitchman are begging to be burned down the middle. The question is can TM or someone else make that pass consistently?
I thought the pass blocking was better than the run blocking this year. Compared to most years, I remember a lot less "running for your life" passes from the QB.
I think he just missed a lot, and sometimes players gave up on their routes,

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The blocking was better than usual I was just trying to be magnanimous to TM. Sometimes, as you said, he just missed them but also we are not getting separation from opposing defensive backs.