Tailgating / advanced parking pass details?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I've "plastic bag tailgated" around campus - 5th st bridge, IC lawn, old campus, Tech green, Peters Parking deck, etc millions of times but realized I've never actually driven a car and parked. I guess I'm looking to give my guests (first game for some) the festivity of an on-campus tailgate this Thursday - doubt we plan to grill but a cooler/folding table/prepared foods/tent/folding chairs is potentially on the cards. The options on ParkMobile seem strange (huge covered decks just off campus).

Can you just show up to W21 or Peters without a pass day of? Or is the strategy just to park nearby - haul gear onto campus (if desired) - and carry back before heading in the gates. Any advice?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Go early and park behind the varsity. Lots of tailgating and just walk through the tunnel.
Thanks for the advice. Starting at the Varsity might be a decent move and still gives us an opportunity to spend a bit of pre-game on East campus. My guests typically go to games at an off campus NFL-style sea-of-cars stadium and the ones who have been to Tech games always mention enjoying the contrast that comes with pre-gaming in a campus environment.

Open to other options/suggestions too.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
When I was a grad student back in '95 to '03, we used to tailgate in the lot for the Mechanical Engineering building on Ferst St. between Hemphill and State St. I had a parking pass for the lot, but anyone who wanted to could pay to park and tailgate there. Used to drink, grill, throw footballs, baseballs, etc. Great times. Not sure whether that lot's accessible now, but GT would be fools not to collect money from people who wanted to park there on gameday...

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
When I was a grad student back in '95 to '03, we used to tailgate in the lot for the Mechanical Engineering building on Ferst St. between Hemphill and State St. I had a parking pass for the lot, but anyone who wanted to could pay to park and tailgate there. Used to drink, grill, throw footballs, baseballs, etc. Great times. Not sure whether that lot's accessible now, but GT would be fools not to collect money from people who wanted to park there on gameday...
That’s W21 I think which is the lot I was aiming for. Does anyone know if you can just drive up and hand the attendant money and park there? There are no passes available for sale ahead of time. I really have no clue about this, I always have biked/walked/Uber'd.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
That’s W21 I think which is the lot I was aiming for. Does anyone know if you can just drive up and hand the attendant money and park there? There are no passes available for sale ahead of time.
When I was there, that's the way they did it. I haven't been for a football game since, but when I go for baseball, it's always pay when you enter the lot.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s W21 I think which is the lot I was aiming for. Does anyone know if you can just drive up and hand the attendant money and park there? There are no passes available for sale ahead of time. I really have no clue about this, I always have biked/walked/Uber'd.
No - we park in W21 and I’ve never seen them taking cash.