Syracuse Post Game

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You’re wrong. Declining that penalty is not the story of this game, and certainly not the season. Declining that penalty is just a shiny object for those worshipping at the analytics altar. We got beat on both sides of the ball, especially on defense.
It's not. And I've said as such. But teams that don't deserve to win sometimes end up winning and we had a chance before that.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What's the alternative? Kick the ball away, buckle down and get a stop so they punt it? It's the same difference except a field goal no longer ties the game (which we were gonna lose in overtime anyway, let's be real - we needed to make this game as short as we could). That final drive Haynes King was supposed to have was TD or bust.
Your alternative plan is so full of assumptions I don’t know where to start.

My point is that all alternative plans or decisions resulted in a low probability of a win for us. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball most of the game. Credit to our special teams and Haynes King that we made it close in the waning minutes.

Calling any near end-of-game decisions “colossal failures” when the alternatives were very unlikely to result in success is like saying the steak could use more seasoning after it was already burnt to a crisp. If you had said the “colossal failure” was not having the team focused and ready to play, I would have agreed with you.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Regardless if they hit a 15 yard play you are in the same situation you were in if you didn’t take the penalty. Taking the penalty also changes Syracuse philosophy. They might have try to hit one chunk play on 2nd and 22 and what if it was incomplete? If the defense wasn’t going to hold up on 2nd and 22 I sure as hell don’t have faith in them stopping a 3rd and 10
They most likely run the ball but you have to get the ball back regardless of how many timeouts you will have.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
answer to your question is YES. And the defense was awful today, but one game doesn't make them awful just as the FSU didn't make them great. Don't judge a team on one game. Do I think we can win the ACC, no. But I think we can win 7 or 8 games. And I don't think you are a bad fan just pissed off after this game which I hope the coaches and players are also.
At least you are honest...something that is sometimes not true of me. I do not share your optimism for the simple reason that I have little confidence in our defense getting pressure on any quarterback but I am happy to be proven wrong.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’m trying to decide if the irrational level of agitation with CBK is a symptom of Tech being competitive again and raising expectations or if it’s a function of some people not being sold on him as a coach and confirmation bias is setting in.

Kind of shocked by all this to be honest.
Anybody not sold on him is stupid. He's done a great job and took us from a laughing stock to a serious team again.

That said, it was still a horrible coaching decision.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's not. And I've said as such. But teams that don't deserve to win sometimes end up winning and we had a chance before that.
That is true. We did not deserve to win and that Syracuse call for the middle screen nearly ended in disaster for them. If Effords had gotten there a split second sooner, he would have taken that ball away from the running back who juggled it twice. The expression on his face said it all: "Please don't call that play again with the eyes roll upward.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
As bad we played we only lost by 3 to a potential ACC championship game team. I see dur U and Syracuse being the top of the heap. We can still make A TON of noise this year. Sky ain't falling.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Your alternative plan is so full of assumptions I don’t know where to start.

My point is that all alternative plans or decisions resulted in a low probability of a win for us. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball most of the game. Credit to our special teams and Haynes King that we made it close in the waning minutes.

Calling any near end-of-game decisions “colossal failures” when the alternatives were very unlikely to result in success is like saying the steak could use more seasoning after it was already burnt to a crisp. If you had said the “colossal failure” was not having the team focused and ready to play, I would have agreed with you.
I don't disagree with this. And I'm not saying Haynes had a 100% chance of driving the field with 1:35 and 1 timeout, but last year against Miami, I saw a Brent Key that was handed the game on a silver platter by Mario Cristobal and he snatched it, unapologetically. Today, Fran Brown handed the game and he made decisions that conveyed "no it's okay, you can have it." He didn't make decisions at any point today that gave us the best chance of flying back to Atlanta with a win. We were not the better team today but that doesn't mean I'm gonna turn away the opportunity to steal a win.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As bad we played we only lost by 3 to a potential ACC championship game team. I see dur U and Syracuse being the top of the heap. We can still make A TON of noise this year. Sky ain't falling.
Syracuse, top of the heap? Top of the dung heap maybe. This is a team that gave up 200 yards to an unknown Ohio running back and has the second easiest ACC schedule and one of the easiest schedules in the country. They came within an almost intercepted middle screen or a missed third down conversion of giving this game back to a wholly undeserving Tech team.

JacketEagle98

Georgia Tech Fan
The game was not lost based on the decision to not take the cut block penalty. We were lucky to even be close at that point in the game. I do think the coaches on both offense and defense were slow to adjust game plans, and that hurt, but Syracuse was more ready to play and more physical. It’s not the end of the season.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
If anybody on this board agrees with not taking that penalty, you should be banned from giving any opinion about anything for the rest of the year. That was peewee level, asinine dumassness.

It was so bad, I made a whole thread to talk about analytics. It’s not rocket science but wait, we already do rocket science?!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have a question. I know it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game at all, but isn't spiking the ball still a penalty??

And missing the field goal before half was a killer too.
He missed by about a foot right from the right hash mark. Same happened in a previous game, I think it happened in 2022. I remember it well because in that game our back was down at least 2 yds inside the right hash mark and rolled over a couple times to the right hash mark. The ball was spotted on the right hash mark instead of where the runner was down and the miss was about 6 inches right costing us the game.