Syracuse, Jan. 21st 2023, Pre And Post Game Commentary

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Their zone really forced us into a 3 point shooting team. We didn't seem to do anything that collapsed their zone either by driving into the lane or flashing someone to the foul line. They were just a better team today both on offense and defense. They scored inside and outside on our D and kept us outside their zone most of the game. This is the type of game that will cost Pastner his job.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
What's funny. We may lack the overall depth of talent to be a great team, but we do not lack the talent to simply compete.

Right now we're essentially food for the league. We have enough talent to be more than that.
The offense does not put us to any advantage.... it is not the players

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
How hard would it be to name teams with less heralded recruits than us who are currently playing better?

It’s like everyone’s head is in the wrong place right now
I have asked that several times!!! Which validates my opinion that we have talented players.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Their zone really forced us into a 3 point shooting team. We didn't seem to do anything that collapsed their zone either by driving into the lane or flashing someone to the foul line. They were just a better team today both on offense and defense. They scored inside and outside on our D and kept us outside their zone most of the game. This is the type of game that will cost Pastner his job.
And the players are doing what they are coached/told to do

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'll say it again, there will come a point where these statements will flip...

A. We can't afford to make a change.
B. We can't afford not to make a change.
I would have never said this before now, but we be at B. right now. These 4* guys are not likely to endure another losing season without a change. There are too many options out there and the portal is pretty easy to enter.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would have never said this before now, but we be at B. right now. These 4* guys are not likely to endure another losing season without a change. There are too many options out there and the portal is pretty easy to enter.

It's one thing if you're struggling individually... but you're winning. Maybe you make a case to stick it out.

But if you're struggling individually... and you're losing? I'd be hard pressed to convince a kid not to look around.

That's my worry. Further erosion of the program. Not necessarily just losing one or two guys, but the tidal wave of negativity would be hard to overcome.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I was happy for Deebo today. They said he shot until his fingertips were bleeding the other night. 5-8 on 3’s, 6-9 overall Good for him putting in the extra work.
I think he wrapped the ball in sandpaper. Not saying that's wrong, not saying that's right.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he wrapped the ball in sandpaper. Not saying that's wrong, not saying that's right.
Well if wrapping them in sandpaper is not saying that's wrong or right equates to him 62% from 3 and 66% from field, then we should have sandpaper stockpiled for everyone that shoots 3's. Then lets see if we wrapped their fingers with Brillo Pads if that will help with the free throws.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
There have been 4 coaches in the last 40 years- 2 had a lot of success because they were loaded with NBA caliber talent. Partner’s best year had great talent. I don’t understand where some of you see it this year- Tech is at a disadvantage at PG and inside, not a good shooting team- no one can create offense and the defense is not good. Blame coaching all you want (they are responsible for roster) but this team is not good no matter who coaches them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There have been 4 coaches in the last 40 years- 2 had a lot of success because they were loaded with NBA caliber talent. Partner’s best year had great talent. I don’t understand where some of you see it this year- Tech is at a disadvantage at PG and inside, not a good shooting team- no one can create offense and the defense is not good. Blame coaching all you want (they are responsible for roster) but this team is not good no matter who coaches them.

This isn't the pros where you can separate roster composition from actual coaching though.

Player acquisition, player devel, retaining players, and the actual product on court. Can't separate any of it. What you see on the floor is a direct reflection of his as a coach. So blaming the coach is virtually unavoidable. And we're too many years in to go 'we'll wait'll he gets his guys in place'..

And please understand I take no pleasure in saying any of this.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Please take off your drunken googles when typing next time

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Don't forget....Memphis paid us to take Pastner off their hands. Going cheap isn't working too well for us in the 2 major sports. Instead of paying good coaches to coach, we end up paying bad coaches to not coach. Real genius from the AA and the big money boosters.
"Here's your sign" Dept:

Happened to be in Memphis the day Pastner was announced as our new HMBBC.... I asked a cabbie what he thought of Pastner & the cabbie said Memphis fans were ecstatic he was leaving.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My opinions are based on my observations. This is not a knock on any of our players. I really like this team, I just don't like the way it plays. That's the fault of coaching and playing.

Based on what I have seen this year, we have 3 players that have starting potential on another ACC team. Those three are our 3 sophomores, Kelly, Coleman, and Moore (25-30 minutes a game). We are missing a capable 1 and 5. That's huge.

Smith, Sturdivant, and Terry are role players that should be coming off the bench in specific situations. They each have different skills they bring to the table and should be used as such (10-15 minutes a game). Maxwell should be that sharpshooter coming in and lighting it up from outside when he's hot and not getting minutes when he's cold. Howard should be spelling the big man, the same 10-15 minutes as the 3 guards mentioned.

The problem is we have 4 guys who should be getting role minutes who are having to start. We have the talent, just not enough of it at the right level. The development of the big men doesn't seem to be there.

Just my opinion.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just watched his post game presser. He's in trouble now and he knows it. He has no answer. IIWII. I thought he might get another year, now I'm not so sure. The media is starting to ask some very pointed questions and he has no answers other than we need to score at least 70 points. Not a good answer Josh. This team just isn't competitive in the ACC.