Syracuse - 2/19

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think more the latter. Last couple of games have been sellouts or near sellouts and it hasn't been opposing team fans picking up those tickets,
I'm sure there will be some Syracuse fans there, but i'd bet it will be 90% GT fans.

Great to see the fanbase starting to come back to life.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There will be some 'Cuse fans there who live in NC, GA and FL for sure. I am related by blood and marriage to 5 in a 50+ Orange block in one of our season ticket sections that was purchased end of December, when there was no realistic hope for 'Cuse or GT.

We (GT) really need to win this one as it will help my quality of life more than the inverse. Ever since Melo beat Bosh in the Dome and I wore yellow, these games have ended with a lot of jawing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another random thought to get out of the way... if Josh Heath has an evil twin, it might be Orange PG John Gillon.

Heath is steady. You know what you're going to get when he walks on the floor, save for flu/injury return/extenuating circumstances.

Gillon is a complete enigma. No chance of knowing what he'll do Sunday dribbling, passing, shooting, or on D. I'm thinking our (GT) mixing zone defenses will decrease the likelihood of him getting comfortable.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Sunday’s Georgia Tech game a sellout, third of season
Tech’s average attendance thus far at 8,600-seat McCamish Pavilion is 5,705 and 7,008 for ACC games. Last year, the team drew 5,832 in all home games and 6,978 in ACC games, selling out the Duke and Notre Dame games.
I guess Tusculum and the non-conference really dragged us down. Feels like attendance has been way up once we hit our stride for ACC games.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I think more the latter. Last couple of games have been sellouts or near sellouts and it hasn't been opposing team fans picking up those tickets,
I'm sure there will be some Syracuse fans there, but i'd bet it will be 90% GT fans.

Great to see the fanbase starting to come back to life.

it brings tears to my eyes to see this finally happening. its a shame that phew was such a sh*t and brian gregory just didnt have the moxie as a coach to keep gt at a high level. at least with cbg he had a love for gt that phew never had.

go jackets

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
it brings tears to my eyes to see this finally happening. its a shame that phew was such a sh*t and brian gregory just didnt have the moxie as a coach to keep gt at a high level. at least with cbg he had a love for gt that phew never had.

go jackets

What gave you the impression about CBG loving GT? I am curious I never such much of him on twitter or promoting the institute like CJP has

(I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering how you drew that conclusion)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Not @gtpi, but I imagine he has in mind how Gregory emphasized fixing the APR and academic side of the program that Hewitt had let fall apart. There was definitely institutional value in that, and I would think it has helped CJP exceed expectations quickly.

That is, the cupboard was bare but the off court and classroom structure was in place and the kids still here were the ones that had performed academically to get that side fixed. In fact, the way the team has so quickly learned how to switch defenses effectively, and give multiple looks, is evidence of a team that is a quick study and good students.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not @gtpi, but I imagine he has in mind how Gregory emphasized fixing the APR and academic side of the program that Hewitt had let fall apart. There was definitely institutional value in that, and I would think it has helped CJP exceed expectations quickly.

That is, the cupboard was bare but the off court and classroom structure was in place and the kids still here were the ones that had performed academically to get that side fixed. In fact, the way the team has so quickly learned how to switch defenses effectively, and give multiple looks, is evidence of a team that is a quick study and good students.

I get that but couldn't that be considered self preservation? If he hadn't focused on that he would have been banned from all his post season bids

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I get that but couldn't that be considered self preservation? If he hadn't focused on that he would have been banned from all his post season bids
Well, yeah, I have no idea about Gregory's personal motivations and what the pecking order is for causing his behavior, nor where "loving GT" ranks. I just was taking GTPI to likely have in mind that aspect of the job Gregory did. My guess is he reads it as a matter of respect for the institution and thinks Hewitt letting the academic side slide was a way of showing disrespect (whether intentional or not). Ultimately, I am not really sure why I am trying to speak for another font . . . o_O. That is the way I read his comments though.

I think that on the loving GT front that the program is doing a better job of it at the moment, what with all these alumni promotional events that include pregame autograph sessions. My guess is that isn't really b/c of CJP but is an improvement in the AA overall. CJP seems to have a proper open door policy for former players and Cremins, as well as talks a good game about the history at Tech; but, he has so much to do that the actual evidence of "loving the Institute" needs to come more from the culture around the program in general, imo.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
As an aside, I've got extra tix for the NCSU game. Drop me a line if you want more info. (All my Cuse tix are gone)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have a coin to flip to predict the outcome of this game? I'll be shocked if either team is favored by more than 2-3.

Expect a game in the 60's and for it to be decided in the last 4 minutes. This game is too critical to both teams to allow the other to run away with it. This one is nearing a zero sum NCAA tournament chances game.

If I had a gun to my head, I lean toward GT in this one. GT is a better team. Syracuse is a better aggregation of players. In the end I think GT takes it with intangibles (heart) and home court.

Syracuse has won exactly 2 games away from the Carrier Dome the entire year, both of which required buzzer beaters in regulation to win (@NC St to force OT and @Clemson to win by 1). Both occurred during the streak where "Syracuse got hot". For the Orange to do anything better than squeak out a win at McCamish would be surprising.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

i dont recall phew embracing all the former basketball players like cbg did. it seemed to me that phew saw their presence as being threatening. many of the former players spoke about that from what i remember.

phew stonewalled all that was gt while cbg embraced it. i think bruce wayne did a great job of relaying part of what i feel. may be i AM confusing necessity with love but cbg's demeanor and his ACTIONS gave me that feeling. phew did not.

what's that old phil mcgraw saying? perception is reality!

go jackets beat syracuse.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm with @CuseJacket . I think we come out and play as a team. I think being at home and in front of a loud and supportive SOLD OUT crowd will be a huge lift. I think Cuse plays their normal away-from-the-Dome game and we win by 5 or 6.

Also, Cuse has Duke coming to the Dome next Weds. If they aren't careful, they'll look ahead to that as a huge game for their tourney resume and look past Lammers, Okogie, et al. Definitely something that could work in our favor.

It's gonna be a fun one!