Swinney's Clemson culture explained

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
First time anybody ever accused the NCAA of that. It might be the most clueless, profit-making organization ever devised. But in this event, the Arab proverb applies: when the fox cannot reach the grapes, he says they are not ripe.

We can't compete, so they must cheat.

I’ll try to break this down for you a little further, as you seem to still not be following. I’m not accusing Duke of cheating just because they smoked us. I’m not accusing Boise State of having cheated because they had a run of success we haven’t seen in 60 years. I’m accusing Clemson of cheating because a member of their AA admitted to it on a federal wiretap.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th.../acc/clemson-university/article229679834.html

=================
A federal trial continued on Thursday in New York City, and Clemson’s national championship football team, Zion Williamson and the Tigers’ men’s basketball team were brought into the discussion because of something an assistant hoops coach said on an FBI wiretap, according to reporters in the courtroom.

Clemson assistant basketball coach Steve Smith was caught on a wiretap discussing the recruitment of Williamson, as well as the Clemson football program, according to testimony coverage by The Associated Press and Matt Norlander of CBSSports at the FBI trial related to college basketball corruption.

Smith was caught on video wiretap talking with agent Christian Dawkins and an undercover FBI agent about “the recruitment and potential payments to be made to Zion Williamson’s family” in July of 2017, Norlander posted on Twitter.

Smith also discussed the football program in relation to Williamson’s recruitment, according to Norlander’s coverage Thursday.

“That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” Smith said on the wiretap, according to Norlander’s updates.

In more of the wiretap played in court, Smith said “It’s a small college town. … You can come to a game one night, after the game you see a dude out there in a nice looking suit, you like, wait a minute now,” according to Norlander.
========================

Does that help?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
PJ Fleck at Minnesota is another guy who is big on "culture." His team is currently 6-0 with a good chance of being 8-0 when he faces off against Penn State in a few weeks. He inherited a decent program, but has improved each season and slowly upgraded the team talent with each class. We saw first hand how tough his team was when they stomped us in the bowl game last year, and Minnesota had almost equivalent talent to us last year (247 Team Talent Composite for 2018). He calls it HYPRR culture, and it's outlined in this article. From relationships with people to analytics and relentless positivity, some of those quotes are near identical to what we've heard from Collins. Important to note though that Collins' approach is a bit different than Fleck's and Dabo's, as I see Collins trying to tap into Atlanta's inherent coolness and swagger much more (Dabo seems more "country" by comparison). But the principles are common between them.

Here's another interesting article contrasting Jeff Brohm to PJ Fleck, as they both started in the Big Ten at the same time but have much different approaches to running a program (note: it's from the Purdue site). TL;DR: Brohm believes in "win now" and let that carry you to success, while Fleck is more about establishing "championship culture" for future success. Purdue started out quicker with success, but they are 2-4 currently (one loss is to Minnesota). Meanwhile, as I mentioned, Minnesota could realistically finish with 10 wins this year. Every program has its ups and downs, but I'm keeping my eye on these two programs to see how they progress moving forward. It's a cool case study in different approaches at similar schools.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’ll try to break this down for you a little further, as you seem to still not be following. I’m not accusing Duke of cheating just because they smoked us. I’m not accusing Boise State of having cheated because they had a run of success we haven’t seen in 60 years. I’m accusing Clemson of cheating because a member of their AA admitted to it on a federal wiretap.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th.../acc/clemson-university/article229679834.html

=================
“That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” Smith said on the wiretap, according to Norlander’s updates....
========================
That's it? That's all you got? An assistant BKB coach in a ramble? I have no experience with wiretaps but my best guess is that something upwards of 99.5% is disregarded and the other .5% is parsed, dissected and left figuring most of that is diddly. Shoot, wiretap this board and ... so no, you don't have a case.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First time anybody ever accused the NCAA of that. It might be the most clueless, profit-making organization ever devised. But in this event, the Arab proverb applies: when the fox cannot reach the grapes, he says they are not ripe.

So somebody just invented the whole idea about bagman right?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
PJ Fleck at Minnesota is another guy who is big on "culture." His team is currently 6-0 with a good chance of being 8-0 when he faces off against Penn State in a few weeks. He inherited a decent program, but has improved each season and slowly upgraded the team talent with each class. We saw first hand how tough his team was when they stomped us in the bowl game last year, and Minnesota had almost equivalent talent to us last year (247 Team Talent Composite for 2018). He calls it HYPRR culture, and it's outlined in this article. From relationships with people to analytics and relentless positivity, some of those quotes are near identical to what we've heard from Collins. Important to note though that Collins' approach is a bit different than Fleck's and Dabo's, as I see Collins trying to tap into Atlanta's inherent coolness and swagger much more (Dabo seems more "country" by comparison). But the principles are common between them.

Here's another interesting article contrasting Jeff Brohm to PJ Fleck, as they both started in the Big Ten at the same time but have much different approaches to running a program (note: it's from the Purdue site). TL;DR: Brohm believes in "win now" and let that carry you to success, while Fleck is more about establishing "championship culture" for future success. Purdue started out quicker with success, but they are 2-4 currently (one loss is to Minnesota). Meanwhile, as I mentioned, Minnesota could realistically finish with 10 wins this year. Every program has its ups and downs, but I'm keeping my eye on these two programs to see how they progress moving forward. It's a cool case study in different approaches at similar schools.
They’re 6-0 on the basis of four one score wins (try repeating that; it won’t go well), hammering Illinois, and beating Nebraska without its starting quarterback. I suppose 6-0 is 6-0, but that’s a program that scheduled wins instead of games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s one thing to accept that bagmen exist in general and another to accept that one exists in this instance.

It’s the difference between saying someone stole my car and you stole my car.
Makin' it rain, bruh!

cashmoney.jpg

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow

If you think that these football factories don’t CHEAT then what world do you live in. They CHEAT like hell!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you think that these football factories don’t CHEAT then what world do you live in. They CHEAT like hell!
There are things I know and there are things I know. I know some must cheat. I know I can't prove that, and based on the postings, nobody else can either. And since proof would be required, then where is it?