Swinney's Clemson culture explained

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I post this though it is a month or so old -- I just stumbled across it -- and it is the most thorough exploration of this "culture" thing I have seen, or at least the most understandable to me. I have heard bits and pieces of the "culture" Collins talks about, but other than players picking up after themselves there's been no real information. It can get complex, though, with the key being the program has to be fun. (And for those who might think Swinney is all fun and games, this is the tough-on-demand guy who said that "Everybody wants to play for me until they play for me."

But this sheds a lot of light on what is going on in the Upstate and maybe more than anything reflects that whatever the "culture" might be, it has to be genuine and not cloned.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...o-swinney-influencing-next-generation-coaches

Deleted member 2897

Clemson's "culture" is paying players as alluded to by their basketball assistant who got caught trying to buy Zion. They went from a middling team to turning away 5* DEs in the matter of a decade. That doesn't happen because the coach made practices more fun.

The shelflife of an NFL player is only a few years. And when multiple Clemson juniors who could’ve been drafted in the first round came back to play their senior year at Clemson, that told you all you needed to know.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson's "culture" is paying players as alluded to by their basketball assistant who got caught trying to buy Zion. They went from a middling team to turning away 5* DEs in the matter of a decade. That doesn't happen because the coach made practices more fun.
That's just silly. Not even an alternate fact. What you can't explain -- let's face it, a lot of us still think of Swinney as kind of a goofball -- you must ascribe to cheating, though you have not a shred of evidence. Get over it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The shelflife of an NFL player is only a few years. And when multiple Clemson juniors who could’ve been drafted in the first round came back to play their senior year at Clemson, that told you all you needed to know.
Pray tell, then tell me, because apparently I need to know something. So if you know something, I am anxious to hear it. Not to mention the NCAA. Call 'em up.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
That's just silly. Not even an alternate fact. What you can't explain -- let's face it, a lot of us still think of Swinney as kind of a goofball -- you must ascribe to cheating, though you have not a shred of evidence. Get over it.

The basketball assistant literally said Football had “figured it out first” when describing how they went about getting money to recruits. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what’s going on.

Deleted member 2897

Pray tell, then tell me, because apparently I need to know something. So if you know something, I am anxious to hear it. Not to mention the NCAA. Call 'em up.

A Clemson coach was on wiretap saying they had it all figured out (how to pay athletes). Clemson fired him. The NCAA doesn’t care. We have all kinds of coaches on wiretap and they haven’t lifted a finger.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, and not necessarily about money. In his second year, he made the ACCCG vs GT and lost. An up and down, but trending up, span of 3 years followed and then Deshaun Watson comes to town. That started the run hes on now. That 2012 or 2013 recruiting class was special for them. Also notice that is when the turnover of coaches pretty much stopped. A dramatic loss to Alabama, on a gutsy onside kick, just let them know that they could play with the big bad $ec.

As far as the returning DE's, they wanted another shot at 'bama, but if they are gonna turn down millions for thousands, then it ain't about the money. It's a 21 year old knowing that he will never be able to slide down a slide as a grown man and it mean something special. Or have a nap room. Or putt putt course. Or to be the big man on campus and never sleep alone.

They're kids. Let them be kids. I played at a D2 school and we were getting handshakes. Don't think that it's not happening all over, even on our campus. Don't be mad at them just because they haven't been caught.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There’s this guy on GT’s campus who currently has a bunch of odd and fun culture ideas that is being ridiculed as some kind of hack right now.

I’m pretty sure he’s being ridiculed because he’s not winning. Wins will cure that, but there’s no guarantee we have a Dabo. Time will tell. You know how many kids have modeled their game after Michael Jordan? How many became Michael Jordan? It’s a thin line between Dabo Swinney and Butch Jones. We don’t know if we have a Dabo or a Butch yet. Hopefully a Dabo.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, and not necessarily about money. In his second year, he made the ACCCG vs GT and lost. An up and down, but trending up, span of 3 years followed and then Deshaun Watson comes to town. That started the run hes on now. That 2012 or 2013 recruiting class was special for them. Also notice that is when the turnover of coaches pretty much stopped. A dramatic loss to Alabama, on a gutsy onside kick, just let them know that they could play with the big bad $ec.

As far as the returning DE's, they wanted another shot at 'bama, but if they are gonna turn down millions for thousands, then it ain't about the money. It's a 21 year old knowing that he will never be able to slide down a slide as a grown man and it mean something special. Or have a nap room. Or putt putt course. Or to be the big man on campus and never sleep alone.

They're kids. Let them be kids. I played at a D2 school and we were getting handshakes. Don't think that it's not happening all over, even on our campus. Don't be mad at them just because they haven't been caught.
I agree they wanted at Alabama again, but if I had to guess --and I do not follow the NFL or the draft in any way other than say remotely casually -- I think I recall that none of those deciding to return were projected to go as high in the draft as they initially thought, and the difference in first and second round I gather means real millions. If so all of them made money by playing another year, and while at some risk, not nearly as much as some think.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The ncaa knows what goes on !
First time anybody ever accused the NCAA of that. It might be the most clueless, profit-making organization ever devised. But in this event, the Arab proverb applies: when the fox cannot reach the grapes, he says they are not ripe.

We can't compete, so they must cheat.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I agree they wanted at Alabama again, but if I had to guess --and I do not follow the NFL or the draft in any way other than say remotely casually -- I think I recall that none of those deciding to return were projected to go as high in the draft as they initially thought, and the difference in first and second round I gather means real millions. If so all of them made money by playing another year, and while at some risk, not nearly as much as some think.
The most ridiculous part of this is the idea that Clemson is giving them enough money to punt on the NFL. Even second round picks get seven figure contracts (though not fully guaranteed). I mean, think of the check they’d have to write to make it worth leaving that contract on the table to come back for the chance to make more the following year. At some point, I kinda think if it means that much to a program that they pay those kinds of rates, I just tip my hat.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The most ridiculous part of this is the idea that Clemson is giving them enough money to punt on the NFL. Even second round picks get seven figure contracts (though not fully guaranteed). I mean, think of the check they’d have to write to make it worth leaving that contract on the table to come back for the chance to make more the following year. At some point, I kinda think if it means that much to a program that they pay those kinds of rates, I just tip my hat.

This plus the fact that companies like Lloyd’s of London offer draft protection contracts. I’d put a pretty penny they all had one. If they were injured to the point of no longer being able to play, they would have still walked away with millions of dollars.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
..... or fart in their general direction.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

That’s not how schools are doing this now. They take out insurance policies for the players so they hit big if they get injured. This is currently legal with the NCAA. The allure of spending one more year as big man on campus along with however much theyre getting paid (and I suppose finishing their degree) is probably enough to keep them around in some cases.

And the bigger impact is with the HS kids. Their usually 3 years away minimum from being eligible to enter the draft.