Swinney signs 8 year contract.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah but Dabo is a great motivator, salesman, and recruiter, he puts all the pieces on the chessboard. 2 10 win seasons and 2 BCS apperances its deserved.
Personally I wouldn't mind if he were our HC. I like PJ, but Dabo is fiery. Imagine getting to watch him trash talk Richt during November. :D

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Clemson will come to regret this. Dabo is a figurehead, plain and simple. Clemson's strength is in their coordinators. The OC Chad Morris is a protege of Gus Malzahn, and teams have had trouble defending this offense. The DC Brent Venables is considered one of the best in the business. They are both highly compensated. At some point, Dabo is going to lose one or both coordinators, and then his lack of coaching ability will become glaringly obvious, in the way that Gene Chizik went from a national championship coach to a cellar dweller.
Well it may be that Dabo is a figure head but he has one thing among others that make him successful.He gets good athletes and good coaches.He may not be the x and o guy but he has plenty of money to hire who he needs.I think anybody with such a contract is liable to self destruct later on and then...........you cant get rid of them.Clemins must have called Drad and Blaine before they gave this to Dabo !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you plenty of times I had good folks coming back and then looked at the other teams and they had more good ones coming back and their good ones were better than my good ones.Coached them up best I could but so did the other side and its a fact that *******es dont win the Ky Derby througbreds do

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean you guys are acting like he never be able to replace Chad morris or Vernables... There are other assistants out there who are very good as well. Seems illogical to think they will hit rock bottom any time soon.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I've coached, too. I've seen it happen a lot. Talent is important, but it isnt' everything. If it were, Charlie Weis would still be @ Notre Dame and Ron Zook would still be @ Illinois. If you need great players to win games, maybe you're not that good a coach.

LOL, well that's entirely true that I might not be that great of a coach. But I've coached over 1200 baseball games and have a career winning percentage of over 77% wins, so I'm apparently getting really lucky on finding talent.
And I'll reiterate, you CAN win with lesser talent. But you won't do it consistently.
The old saying of "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" is true. But if "talent DOES work hard", they're going to beat lesser talent more often than not.

Clemson will come to regret this. Dabo is a figurehead, plain and simple. Clemson's strength is in their coordinators. The OC Chad Morris is a protege of Gus Malzahn, and teams have had trouble defending this offense. The DC Brent Venables is considered one of the best in the business. They are both highly compensated. At some point, Dabo is going to lose one or both coordinators, and then his lack of coaching ability will become glaringly obvious, in the way that Gene Chizik went from a national championship coach to a cellar dweller.
Georgia Tech willcome to regret this, because Paul Johnson will want $3 million per on his next contract.

Does anyone know the story behind the Chizik deal? I heard him say that when Malzahn and Cam Newton left, Auburn didn't have the players to run Gus's scheme, so he (Chizik) decided to completely change the offense, realizing it would take a couple of seasons to make the switch. He figured he had enough goodwill in the bank having just won the whole ball of wax. In hindsight, he did not. I can't believe that is the whole story. Seems to me somebody wanted him out and wanted Gus back ASAP. Anybody know the inside scoop?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know the story behind the Chizik deal? I heard him say that when Malzahn and Cam Newton left, Auburn didn't have the players to run Gus's scheme, so he (Chizik) decided to completely change the offense, realizing it would take a couple of seasons to make the switch. He figured he had enough goodwill in the bank having just won the whole ball of wax. In hindsight, he did not. I can't believe that is the whole story. Seems to me somebody wanted him out and wanted Gus back ASAP. Anybody know the inside scoop?

Ever see the "Yella Wood" guy on tv? He is a very large donor to Auburn and used to enjoy being one of the money guys who had access to the locker room and sidelines. One of the first things Chizik did was revoke all the special sideline passes and special access privileges.

Even when he won the MNC, he had several of the bigger donors who were just looking for a reason to let him go. So, when he had a losing season and the AD was threatened with losing 60 or 70% of his large donations, they suddenly decided "Chizik never really was an Auburn man!"

Ever see the "Yella Wood" guy on tv? He is a very large donor to Auburn and used to enjoy being one of the money guys who had access to the locker room and sidelines. One of the first things Chizik did was revoke all the special sideline passes and special access privileges.

Even when he won the MNC, he had several of the bigger donors who were just looking for a reason to let him go. So, when he had a losing season and the AD was threatened with losing 60 or 70% of his large donations, they suddenly decided "Chizik never really was an Auburn man!"
thanks

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I mean you guys are acting like he never be able to replace Chad morris or Vernables... There are other assistants out there who are very good as well. Seems illogical to think they will hit rock bottom any time soon.
Agree with you ....one thing for sure the Clemson fans or IPTAY etc takes good care of their asst coaches pay wise and perk wise. If they lose somebody they can buy another coach and keep on keeping on.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Ole Gene never fit in..........he was a funny hire since everywhere he went he was losing ballgames.Gus pulled him out of the fire and the fans or alums bought a qb and the rest was history but yeah.....he was not that popular with the fans or the team from what I read few years ago.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole Gene never fit in..........he was a funny hire since everywhere he went he was losing ballgames.Gus pulled him out of the fire and the fans or alums bought a qb and the rest was history but yeah.....he was not that popular with the fans or the team from what I read few years ago.

One of my wife's 2nd cousins is one of those "big money" guys at Auburn. Back when the whole thing with Cam Newton was being investigated, I asked him if he thought they'd paid Cam. His response, "Yeah. Hell, a good offensive lineman goes for $100K, I'm just surprised they could get the kid for 250."

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One of my wife's 2nd cousins is one of those "big money" guys at Auburn. Back when the whole thing with Cam Newton was being investigated, I asked him if he thought they'd paid Cam. His response, "Yeah. Hell, a good offensive lineman goes for $100K, I'm just surprised they could get the kid for 250."
Yep funny how NCAA could find no fault in the investigation is it not ? of course when you win and have a bona fide hoss the NCAA sort of forgets what it is supposed to do but let it be a tech guy and man here comes the hammer.