1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Swarm Book Club

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by Milwaukee, Mar 23, 2019.

1. TechBurn

TechBurn Ramblin' Wreck

For the history buffs among us,,,
    The British naval series, including
    "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian featuring Captain Jack Aubrey

The Napoleonic war series by Bernard Cornwell featuring Richard Sharpe, following the Duke of Wellington's military campaigns,,,
    Both pretty historically accurate,,,

Anything by Jon Krakauer, i.e., "Into the Wild," etc.,

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    THWG likes this.
  2. Jim Prather

Jim Prather Helluva Engineer

LOL... That's just cruel. :)

jwsavhGT likes this.
  3. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

I am currently listening to the Jack Ryan series. I have gotten to Executive Orders. I am not that far in the book yet, but it has some things in common with current events. The audio book is 51 hours 24 minutes long so it will take a while to get through it.

4. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

Going to bump this recommendation. Dreamland is a solid read. And if you're in to how new drugs get approved/prescribed and how that can go wrong (paging Covid debaters), this book provides an interesting perspective.

THWG likes this.
  5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee Helluva Engineer

CuseJacket likes this.
  6. GTRoy

GTRoy Jolly Good Fellow

I am reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X right now. It's a very good read so far.

I've never been much for Sci-Fi, but I did love what I read of the Foundation series.

For those of you interested in history, I read the three part biography on Teddy Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Probably the best biographical book/series I've ever read.

GTpdm likes this.
  7. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

"Raised In Captivity" by Chuck Klostermsn.

Bizarre short stories. Thought provoking in a Gary Larson perverse sort of way. I was given the book and will pass it on when done.

slugboy likes this.
  8. Milwaukee

Thought I’d bump this since I saw this article this morning regarding Jho Low from Billion Dollar Whale. http://via.fox6now.com/oNh5W

Highly recommend the book. It’s rumored that he still has close to a billion dollars from his cons.

CuseJacket likes this.
  9. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that link. Enjoyed Billion Dollar Whale as well, though maybe a tad less enthusiastic than you.

Currently reading Black Flags due to your recommendation here. Really enjoying it.

Milwaukee likes this.
  10. TampaBuzz

TampaBuzz Helluva Engineer

For you GT fans, you should read "Jackrabbitt" by Bill Chastain. A nice history on Clint Castleberry and 1942 GT football.

11. Milwaukee

CuseJacket likes this.
  12. Milwaukee

New personal record due to the lockdown. Finished American Kingpin this evening after starting yesterday around noon. Couldn’t put it down, extremely interesting.

CuseJacket likes this.
  13. forensicbuzz

forensicbuzz Helluva Engineer

Read Noah Feldman's new book Arab Winter. It's about the failure of the Arab nations to capitalize (pun intended) on the Arab Spring to introduce democracy into the Middle East and North Africa. The only country that was successful in maintaining an self-realizing government was Tunisia. Very good non-fiction read. He's a liberal journalist, but his viewpoint in this book is pretty neutral. He's a throw-back journalist, one that doesn't allow his personal politics to cloud his writing (too badly, we all have our view points).

14. forensicbuzz

Another interesting read is Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking to Strangers". I find him fascinating. He is a liberal Canadian, but he isn't married to his opinions. He says things that many conservatives and even moderates don't agree with, but he is a strong proponent of the media not interjecting their biases into their stories. I found this book fascinating. He explores so many different facets of human nature and how we communicate with each other. I'm convinced that preconceived notions are the vast majority of the interpersonal problems we experience today.

15. forensicbuzz

As a staunch Centrist, I've just recommended two left-leaning authors. I think the people on the right would enjoy and learn something from these books. Go in with an open mind, and you might learn something about how others think and see the world. Too often we try to convince everyone around us that we're right instead of just listening to what others think. In general, we're all intelligent, highly educated people who think deeply (Bette Midler reference) about what's going on. So, if we can get past trying to convince others that we're right and they need to agree with us, we can get on to a better understanding of the world around us.

(yes, I've been drinking bourbon tonight...well every night since this has started. I hope I don't develop a problem)

Milwaukee likes this.
  16. Milwaukee

As I’m looking for a new book this one keeps popping up from the person I get my recommendations from, he hasn’t let me down yet. But the reviews look bad.