Sugiura: Notre Dame win earns Gregory $3,000 bonus

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Other than GA, what's the real significance to winning the other games...think we have a real problem in leadership at the GTAA.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Prior to ND joining the league, Wake was our assigned rival school. The list of schools were rival schools and what was likely our most difficult OOC game scheduled. Playing Nova wasn't a sure thing.

Net net - earn bonuses for beating rivals

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Other than GA, what's the real significance to winning the other games...think we have a real problem in leadership at the GTAA.

Here is the problem: GTAA Board has 8 faculty members, 3 alumni members, and 3 student members.

Compare with UGA: 6 faculty members, 8 alumni members, and 1 voting student member.

For the folks who are slow on the uptake, GT alumni do not control the GTAA. Therefore, GT athletic teams are not really our teams.

GT alums should not contribute to Roll Call or the AA until GT alumni have control of the GTAA Board.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is the problem: GTAA Board has 8 faculty members, 3 alumni members, and 3 student members.

Compare with UGA: 6 faculty members, 8 alumni members, and 1 voting student member.

For the folks who are slow on the uptake, GT alumni do not control the GTAA. Therefore, GT athletic teams are not really our teams.

GT alums should not contribute to Roll Call or the AA until GT alumni have control of the GTAA Board.
This is not likely to change.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

Disagree completely. GT is my alma mater, and its teams will always be my teams. Though there is room for debate about the proper balance, I'm glad that GT maintains institutional control, rather than allowing a group of alumni to operate a sport's program in the school's name.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Disagree completely. GT is my alma mater, and its teams will always be my teams. Though there is room for debate about the proper balance, I'm glad that GT maintains institutional control, rather than allowing a group of alumni to operate a sport's program in the school's name.

GT Athletics should be completely independent of the Ga Board of Regents (and GT faculty). Just my opinion. I'd prefer GT to be independent too, but that won't happen either. So we'll just continue to muddle along.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

GT Athletics should be completely independent of . . . GT faculty).
I disagree with these statements. As long as college athletics are supposed to be about student-athletes, the academic side has to be a major force. Letting alumni get control is like letting the inmates run the asylum. As alumni, its too easy to weigh the pros and cons, and conclude the ends justify the means. That can't happen. As long as GTAA represents GT, the Administration needs to be in ultimate control. (and I really hate that it negatively affects our ability to compete!)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I disagree with these statements. As long as college athletics are supposed to be about student-athletes, the academic side has to be a major force. Letting alumni get control is like letting the inmates run the asylum. As alumni, its too easy to weigh the pros and cons, and conclude the ends justify the means. That can't happen. As long as GTAA represents GT, the Administration needs to be in ultimate control. (and I really hate that it negatively affects our ability to compete!)
Agree 100%

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I guess on a philosophical basis I agree with you about student-althetes. But on a practical basis I don't. If we lived in the Garden of Eden, it would be fine. But the inmates and corporate interests are running the NCAA. Just saw this today ...... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inde...RJx-iLg&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=3N8dxWIrVMkT81

Back to the original thread, I'm glad CBG got a bonus and hope we win most of the rest of our games. It is very gratifying to see that the players haven't packed it in and are playing hard. That's all we can ask.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've said before that CBG would be here next year (and maybe the year after), but his contract would not be renewed. After thinking about this, I could see him being given a contact extension for recruiting purposes, but without the buy-out clause being extended. In other words, give him an NFL contract. No guaranteeed money.