Sugiura: Georgia Tech professor Baratunde Cola offers creative NIL proposal

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cola is also the GT representative on the ACC Commissioner Search Committee

His idea for the NCAA as it considers how athletes can be compensated for their name, image and likeness (NIL) is this: Athletes can create non-profit organizations that endorsement money goes into, and then they can pay themselves a portion of revenue and use the remaining funds for charity or to enhance their educations.

“The message I’m trying to get across is this is something that I think the student-athletes will love,” Cola said. “Frankly, I think it’s something they will embrace if it’s articulated to them well.”
In Cola’s proposal, athletes could keep a portion of the revenues received – perhaps 10% to 20% – and could use the rest on charities of their choosing or to expand their own educational opportunities.

Through the non-profit, for instance, an athlete could purchase a laptop, take an educational trip or fund a free camp for kids in their home communities. An athlete could potentially have the freedom to take an unpaid summer internship, paying himself or herself the salary earned as the head of the nonprofit. It would give athletes experience in forming and running a business. In short, it would earmark money to provide for athletes the sort of educational experiences that their non-athlete peers have but they often cannot, dovetailing with the overall missions of their schools.
Lot of interesting concepts in the article.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me for only reading this thread and not the article. I love the idea of college Athletes working with non-profits and raising money for a good cause. The youth need to be involved in their communities and know what it means to give back. Will make them better humans. If they can some how figure out the logistics for the NIL part On top of it and these kids can earn some dough, I’m all for it.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you will get huge pushback on this. The whole reason the NCAA had to agree to NIL is because the enormous money made by NCAA football and athletes receiving no compensation (yes I get the education reward but for the top athletes College is a stepping stone to the pros). I fully get what he is trying to accomplish with his idea but I think athletes will want all of their money. And if they don't get it, they will take it to court and they will win. Once pandora's box is open, the best football and basketball players will be well compensated. My biggest fear is the best programs in those two sports will clean up on top recruits since they will be able to point to national exposure and how the athletes can maximize their money. I know Collins has been big with regards to Social Media so maybe he can come up with an angle to lessen the gap for our recruits.