Suggestions, ideas, thoughts, etc

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We here at GTSwarm are always looking to improve things and make the site better for our users.

If you ever have any suggestions or anything of that nature..please share!

Feel free to comment any you may think of.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Just thought of one as I was looking back at some of the Recruiting Ramblings. It would be useful if all of your recruiting ramblings (just your initial post, not the whole thread) could be archived as a continuous thread by date (perhaps even with a link to the threads themselves). This way we could look back at the updates themselves to find what we’re looking for instead of going through each recruiting rambling thread individually. I hope I explained this well enough.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just thought of one as I was looking back at some of the Recruiting Ramblings. It would be useful if all of your recruiting ramblings (just your initial post, not the whole thread) could be archived as a continuous thread by date (perhaps even with a link to the threads themselves). This way we could look back at the updates themselves to find what we’re looking for instead of going through each recruiting rambling thread individually. I hope I explained this well enough.
Great idea! (y)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This forum does a great job overall and there are many positives about it. This is one major negative: Somebody in a particular thread will make a remark totally unrelated to the subject. Then somebody else will follow up with some snide remark trying to "outclever" the first guy. First thing you know several people are snipping at each other, picking at their words, on a subject unrelated to football in general or the thread in particular. I for one would applaud you if you just immediately wiped out the unrelated nonsense so we could stay on the football subject.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This forum does a great job overall and there are many positives about it. This is one major negative: Somebody in a particular thread will make a remark totally unrelated to the subject. Then somebody else will follow up with some snide remark trying to "outclever" the first guy. First thing you know several people are snipping at each other, picking at their words, on a subject unrelated to football in general or the thread in particular. I for one would applaud you if you just immediately wiped out the unrelated nonsense so we could stay on the football subject.
Hi Danny, thanks for this suggestion. We try our best to remove such posts as soon as we find them but often we find them a little (or very) late. As there are only four of us, it would be sincerely appreciated if you could report such posts when you see them. The report link is under every post on the left side.

Thanks!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Hi Danny, thanks for this suggestion. We try our best to remove such posts as soon as we find them but often we find them a little (or very) late. As there are only four of us, it would be sincerely appreciated if you could report such posts when you see them. The report link is under every post on the left side.

Thanks!
Actually thanks to you and your team for all the hard work and providing this very informative "entertainment". Like I said , overall you do a really good job and it is much appreciated. After several months on the Swarm I am finally learning what type questions to ask that can be answered and how to contribute football opinions worded in such a way to minimize rebuttal sniping.....but I am still learning. There are many (actually most) on this forum who make mature and meaningful football contributions, and there are a few who can't stay focused on the football subject and just want to pick at every word in a very immature manner and not really contribute to the football discussion. Such is life. Thanks again to you and your team.

jeffgt14

Can we get a drop down menu on the Forums tab where we can make a quick jump to the Football, Basketball, etc. threads similar to the drop down on Georgia Tech Recruiting tab?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Can we get a drop down menu on the Forums tab where we can make a quick jump to the Football, Basketball, etc. threads similar to the drop down on Georgia Tech Recruiting tab?
Good idea. Umm... let me tinker with this and see if I can add this without breaking the site. :droid:

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't charge any money for this site (which is excellent value for us, btw!) but why don't you set up an Amazon affiliate account so we can click through your link when making any purchases there and earn you guys a few extra cents to keep the servers up?

Adam Carolla does it: http://adamcarolla.com/sponsors/
Men in Blazers do it: http://meninblazers.com/Store

I'm not one who loves spending extra money, but if I'm going to buy something anyway I have no problem doing it in a way to support folks doing things I like.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Thanks!
How do I buy you four guys a beer? You guys shouldn't have to spend a dime tailgating IMO.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This should be available now under "Sections".

You don't charge any money for this site (which is excellent value for us, btw!) but why don't you set up an Amazon affiliate account so we can click through your link when making any purchases there and earn you guys a few extra cents to keep the servers up?

Adam Carolla does it: http://adamcarolla.com/sponsors/
Men in Blazers do it: http://meninblazers.com/Store

I'm not one who loves spending extra money, but if I'm going to buy something anyway I have no problem doing it in a way to support folks doing things I like.
Thanks for the suggestion as well as the support! I know we've been asked if we would take donations for the site in the past and we very gratefully declined at the time. Personally, I think the site is still at its infancy and the operating expenses are more than manageable; a couple of weeks back I thought we hit the 'critical mass' point in terms of the server's performance because I noticed the response time was getting pretty slow but it turned out to be something else. Perhaps I'm speaking too soon, who knows what will happen when the season officially kicks off. I'm being optimistic and thinking we won't have any major meltdowns. *crosses fingers*

I think the biggest "cost" that is in the forefront of my mind is the amount of personal time that the staff spends covering GT news and keeping the site clean. There's no doubt in my mind that @Eric, @CuseJacket, and @PowderSpringsJacket88 volunteer their time because they love covering and keeping up with GT related news; I am really proud of the fact that this is the only thing that drives us. Certainly, I can't imagine that this will be a sustainable model at a certain point of the site's growth but when we do get to that point, I'd like for the staff to discuss and agree on the best way forward. This just hasn't been one of our goals especially with all the changes that's been made to the site recently.

Having said all of that, the support via the affiliate program isn't at all a bad idea, we'll need to keep that option in mind. Thanks again. :)

jeffgt14

Yay! Now I save myself one click switching between Football and Basketball sections! I feel really lazy just knowing I requested that now.

I second the Amazon Affiliation suggestion whenever ya'll get to that point. You can just create a bookmark with the link so there's about no thinking involved.

jeffgt14

Alright… I’m gonna bite the bullet again. My next suggestion :bag: is to use the offered/committed tags for the basketball recruits as well. We’ve been getting more and more discussion there recently with @dtm1997 doing such a great job.

EDIT: Just noticed we have used the committed tag for our committed players.

Last edited: