Sugar Bowl

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like not having an SEC team in the final. I had begun to feel sorry for Michigan since they have made the playoffs so many times without doing much once they got there. Maybe the SEC PR machine will be quieter for awhile.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I like not having an SEC team in the final. I had begun to feel sorry for Michigan since they have made the playoffs so many times without doing much once they got there. Maybe the SEC PR machine will be quieter for awhile.

No Way Boxing GIF by BuzzFeed

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could start a separate thread for a topic that is more general, but I’ve learned that no one will see it.

Here goes…..

Is not having an SEC team (or future team) in the championship a good thing for college football?

Or, is the fact that a B1G team (and future B1G team) were in the championship still a bad thing for college football?

It seems bad that we were stuck with having to have either conference in the playoffs but feels like it would have been worse if SEC was in the final.

Thoughts ?
We've established one thing, if nothing else, in all of this… what’s good for college football is good TV ratings. To that end, NO, the absence of an SEC team is NOT good for college football because I believe you’ve lost a large contingent of southern football “fans” who won’t tune in to watch Michigan and Washington play. There is no real doubt that they are the two teams that SHOULD be playing for the championship, and it is a good championship game,but I suspect a large number of southern eyeballs won’t be watching “yankee football.”

Taken a step further, if my suspicions are true, TV numbers will again bear out that SEC teams bring viewers, and therefore the future playoffs and rankings need SEC teams in order to be profitable. This will perpetuate what we’ve already seen happening and more playoff spots will go to these SEC teams. Tv Ratings are far more important than on field results.

Long term, I think thats bad for college football, as it will further separate the haves and have nots, but I don’t see them sacrificing the near term revenues over that. If they start losing viewers later, they’ll address it later… That said, this year overall is a throw away. All sorts of things happened that have never happened before and won’t ever happen again. All of these “unsavory” results will be fixed by the new playoff structure and once they’ve gone about perverting the new structure, they’ll sell us on another new system. Eventually we will come full circle to a system that selects made for media matchups again. Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We've established one thing, if nothing else, in all of this… what’s good for college football is good TV ratings. To that end, NO, the absence of an SEC team is NOT good for college football because I believe you’ve lost a large contingent of southern football “fans” who won’t tune in to watch Michigan and Washington play. There is no real doubt that they are the two teams that SHOULD be playing for the championship, and it is a good championship game,but I suspect a large number of southern eyeballs won’t be watching “yankee football.”

Taken a step further, if my suspicions are true, TV numbers will again bear out that SEC teams bring viewers, and therefore the future playoffs and rankings need SEC teams in order to be profitable. This will perpetuate what we’ve already seen happening and more playoff spots will go to these SEC teams. Tv Ratings are far more important than on field results.

Long term, I think thats bad for college football, as it will further separate the haves and have nots, but I don’t see them sacrificing the near term revenues over that. If they start losing viewers later, they’ll address it later… That said, this year overall is a throw away. All sorts of things happened that have never happened before and won’t ever happen again. All of these “unsavory” results will be fixed by the new playoff structure and once they’ve gone about perverting the new structure, they’ll sell us on another new system. Eventually we will come full circle to a system that selects made for media matchups again. Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)
I have been really curious about TV ratings.

Hope someone will post the results starting with SEC championship vs Orange Bowl vs NY6 vs each playoff game. I have my suspicions but can’t wait to know if the numbers confirm them.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree with everything you said. I know I don't represent the population as a whole, but I'm more excited to watch the NC WITHOUT an SEC team than if one was playing. It feels refreshing and I'm hopeful for an extremely close, hard-fought football game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you said. I know I don't represent the population as a whole, but I'm more excited to watch the NC WITHOUT an SEC team than if one was playing. It feels refreshing and I'm hopeful for an extremely close, hard-fought football game.
100%!
Hoping this is the first of many compelling championship games yielded by the new playoff system! And by compelling, I mean good game with no SEC teams. ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could start a separate thread for a topic that is more general, but I’ve learned that no one will see it.

Here goes…..

Is not having an SEC team (or future team) in the championship a good thing for college football?

Or, is the fact that a B1G team (and future B1G team) were in the championship still a bad thing for college football?

It seems bad that we were stuck with having to have either conference in the playoffs but feels like it would have been worse if SEC was in the final.

Thoughts ?
I think Washington/Michigan is less bad than Alabama/Texas. The B1G is less in-your-face about touting itself as the best college football has to offer.

901jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
A quick cross check says this will be the highest (or lowest, depending on how you look at it) rated academic matchup in a national championship game since the inception of the CFP and I think all the way back to the 2005 Texas/USC matchup. Per USNWR 2024 ratings anyways.