Suck it, Bryce Drew!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Who would you rather have as the our basketball programs head coach? If you say Drew then......
Didn't say that...
Who did you want back in April? Be honest... (Note I didn't go back to last year's threads, but a lot of folks wanted Drew and we're not happy that he chose Vandy)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Didn't say that...
Who did you want back in April? Be honest... (Note I didn't go back to last year's threads, but a lot of folks wanted Drew and we're not happy that he chose Vandy)

Who honestly wanted that guy? They should be ashamed. I was pissed that he clearly used us to get more from Vandy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We still don't know who got the best coach after one year. CBB is more about recruiting than anything else.

After the hires, I was happy we got Pastner. Drew is unproven at the P5 level, and I wasn't as impressed with his resume as a lot of folks were. I also got the sense that he was afraid of a large challenge.

Pastner on the other hand has trained his whole life to be a basketball coach. He's smart and he has an amazing work ethic. He has failed once--he will run through 100 brick walls before he fails again.

Drew may win 5 National Championships, but I believe Pastner was and is the right guy for us. He may be the only good decision the Boob made.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@jacketup is right that it's only been 1 year so we don't know what we don't know (huh?). Still though, jacket also illustrates exactly why I was never enamored with Drew. Only succeeded at his daddy's old job where he was once the star player. When presented with a challenge he seemed to shrink back to Vandy. I'd argue that he never intended to come here but that's a whole other story.

All in all, I just never got why folks were so in love with him coming here. Then again, I never got the love Mooney got way back when. He and Drew seemed somewhat similar types to me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Who honestly wanted that guy? They should be ashamed. I was pissed that he clearly used us to get more from Vandy.
I never said he was my guy (nor do you infer that I did), just was pointing out that some did want him here and upset that - as you point out - he strung GT along to milk a few more $ from Vanderbilt.

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan

Using us was the reason behind my post but honestly I have not thought about that until I turned the Vandy game on. And that's due to the incredible job CJP has done this season.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We still don't know who got the best coach after one year. CBB is more about recruiting than anything else.

After the hires, I was happy we got Pastner. Drew is unproven at the P5 level, and I wasn't as impressed with his resume as a lot of folks were. I also got the sense that he was afraid of a large challenge.

Pastner on the other hand has trained his whole life to be a basketball coach. He's smart and he has an amazing work ethic. He has failed once--he will run through 100 brick walls before he fails again.

Drew may win 5 National Championships, but I believe Pastner was and is the right guy for us. He may be the only good decision the Boob made.
We are all happy with the 1st year of CJP but, lets dont break out the champagne just yet.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Your first comment gets a 'dislike'. The second comment gets a 'like'. They canceled each other out I guess.

Given our financial limitations I thought he would be the best candidate at our price point. I had a list that differed in some ways from others.

IIRC:

1-Mack: Make him say no (he did)
2-Drew
3-Will Wade
4-Mike Dunlap

I can assure you I was only person in the universe that had Dunlap on his list haha

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Given our financial limitations I thought he would be the best candidate at our price point. I had a list that differed in some ways from others.

IIRC:

1-Mack: Make him say no (he did)
2-Drew
3-Will Wade
4-Mike Dunlap

I can assure you I was only person in the universe that had Dunlap on his list haha

Yeah, good thing you're not the AD, amirite?!

I was probably one of few who wanted the Turner guy from UC Irvine. Actually, he'd be great for Cal. IOW, we clearly need to ramp up the PeacKG Search Firm. Surely we can fail at a rate similar to Ed Fogler and his bunch.

Once I saw the rumblings that Drew wouldn't be as cheap as first thought, I was out. O-w-t, out. He's not proven anything. Had a pretty decent 1st year but I think he'll be one of these guys who folks'll look back thinking, "Man he won with Stallings guys, but when his recruits got there ... blah."

Deleted member 2897

Yeah, good thing you're not the AD, amirite?!

I was probably one of few who wanted the Turner guy from UC Irvine. Actually, he'd be great for Cal. IOW, we clearly need to ramp up the PeacKG Search Firm. Surely we can fail at a rate similar to Ed Fogler and his bunch.

Once I saw the rumblings that Drew wouldn't be as cheap as first thought, I was out. O-w-t, out. He's not proven anything. Had a pretty decent 1st year but I think he'll be one of these guys who folks'll look back thinking, "Man he won with Stallings guys, but when his recruits got there ... blah."

I think Bryce Drew himself is a good fit for Vanderbilt. Not high expectations, weak as hell conference for basketball, should have good kids in a school with a good reputation, overpaid. He really did not much this year. At 19-16 in a weak conference, he still has a big question mark over his head. And losing to a team that had never ever made the tournament before wasn't a good look either.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think Bryce Drew himself is a good fit for Vanderbilt. Not high expectations, weak as hell conference for basketball, should have good kids in a school with a good reputation, overpaid. He really did not much this year. At 19-16 in a weak conference, he still has a big question mark over his head. And losing to a team that had never ever made the tournament before wasn't a good look either.

History means exactly zero in sports IMHO when considering players and how fluid rosters are. Organizationally you can point to constants as far how things are run and so on. To me it's stupid to say "we have a rematch of SuperBow 46". No you don't the rosters are 68% different. I guess my point is Northwestern never making the tournament before can't be used to evaluate Bruce Drews job at Vanderbilt as a negative because THIS Northwestern team is 1 for 1 in making the tournament. Next years will be 0 for 0. However, you can judge Drew on having a shady brother and using us as leverage to up his status in the coaching world.

Northwestern has a very good team. Was Pardon Lumpkin Law and McIntosh Collins first class? I think that's right. Collins looking like the new Duke HC more and more every day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agree on Vandy being an easier spot than GT. Bad conference, low expectations is a good combination for a guy looking for easy street.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We are all happy with the 1st year of CJP but, lets dont break out the champagne just yet.

I agree with this statement. Remember we thought we had a long term winner with Hewitt.

This said, there's also reason for optimism. Calipari said he felt Pastner was a much better fit at Georgia Tech than at Memphis, and I can only assume he meant for the kind of kid we have vs Memphis. In his first season Pastner seems to have really enjoyed working with our players. While we have to tip our cap to Gregory in terms of recruiting the likes of Okogie and Lammers, JP at least for this year seemed to help the kids reach their potentials.