Success vs Spending

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Interesting article from SBnation about programs and their budgets.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...8/ncaa-football-teams-costs-spending-expenses

Screen_Shot_2016-03-24_at_10.54.24_AM.0.png

but also remember

The accounting methods many of these schools use are quite dishonest. Schools will report inflated costs in order to keep their reported profits lower, so they can cry poor when asking taxpayers and students for financial assistance.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
My first thought is that there is no way Oregon's spending isn't somewhere to the right of FSU or Nebraska.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, shoot. We out-performed our spending. So, it seems pretty easy to conclude that if we just give all our coaches a raise and spend more money, then we will have more success.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Spending has dimishing returns at some point. Each school has to look logically at itself about spending more. For sure tech can in support staff etc. if we go from 3 to 7 it helps. If we go from 7 to 14 it probably doesnt.

What saban does with his quality control staff is brilliant. They are basically coaches that are not coaches that coach all the time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I keep saying, I'm 100% behind throwing money at problems. It always works. True, that marginal dollar doesn't get you much, but every cent counts. I don't doubt that Tech could do better in football if it spent more on it.

Oth, this chart conceals as much as it reveals. As 33 points out, it's how the money is spent as much as how much of it there is. That should draw everyones attention to the outlier (where are those .95 confidence bands when you need them?) in the chart: Boise State. Obviously, those guys are either doing everything right or are benefiting from a weird situation or (I think this is it) both. I've been both puzzled and curious about their continued success for years. And, as their better teams have shown, this isn't happening because they're in a weak conference. The MWC is weaker now then it used to be, but BSU had it's best years when the conference included BYU and TCU.

I want to know what those people are doing right. Besides passing the ball better then anyone else in the country, except the Mike Leach team du jour, that is.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
My first thought is that there is no way Oregon's spending isn't somewhere to the right of FSU or Nebraska.
This chart is probably either before they built their new football megaplex, or spending by boosters is not counted.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is a pretty graph!
Imo
Period of 9 years allows an incorrect picture of the recent season success.

Let's look at Gt and baylor which are said to be equal 2006-15.

I have season tickets to baylor and gt. Since lived in Texas I have experience with baylor and art brilles. Oldest sons HS team competed for state championship during the years brilles was winning them against the big city and east Texas schools. Youngest son was student when they lost all but one conference game over 4 years (gt 2015 times 4). Since brilles - hiesman winner, new stadium w school expansion over bravos river, in hunt for playoffs last few years, set rushing record (700 plus yds) in this years bowl game when pass offense crippled by 3 qb injuries.

We are pretty good to good most years with a few not so good and one bad(2015).

Baylor (pre brilles ) was terrible and since brilles they are good to very very good.
Chart seems accurate overall but sure is inaccurate for this point in time.

We will be back on top very soon. By my coaching son says coach johnson is a great coach.