Stop the Presses: Week 5

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to start a thread about all the good things that comes with winning...specifically, the press starts paying attention.

From ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/75460/what-we-learned-in-the-acc-week-6-6

2. Virginia and Georgia Tech are the Coastal front-runners. Believe it! The two teams in the Coastal with the most questions headed into the season have gotten off to 2-0 starts in league play and sit atop the division. For now. While there always is a caveat in the Coastal, both teams deserve to be there. Georgia Tech ended long losing streaks to both Virginia Tech and Miami. Its 28-17 win over the Canes on Saturday night was as thorough an offensive domination as you can get. The Jackets rolled up 311 yards rushing and 21 first downs, converted 9-of-14 third-down attempts and held the ball for 40 minutes. They also came up with two turnovers to kill Miami drives. The Canes' defense reverted to form and looked lost for most of the night against a team that has the most predictable offense in the ACC. Virginia, meanwhile, held on to beat Pitt 24-19 behind a career game from Kevin Parks, who had 169 yards and a touchdown. Considering how the Panthers outplayed the Hoos in the second half, this is a big win for Virginia. Maybe a season ago, the result would've been different. No, the officiating was not very good in the game, but Virginia found a way to win. The Nov. 1 matchup between Georgia Tech and Virginia in Atlanta is looking pretty big right about now.

FROM 247:

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com...ekend-review-10-most-glaring-aspects-31771904

2. The No. 1 most surprising thing to me this season is Georgia Tech’s 5-0 record: Give Paul Johnson credit. You have to. He clearly deserves it. By defeating Miami (FL) 28-17 on Saturday night, Georgia Tech is 5-0 and 2-0 in the ACC with wins over VA Tech and the Hurricanes. When I watched Georgia Tech practice in the spring, I thought it may have been the smallest FBS Power-5 that I’ve ever seen. Well, Paul Johnson likely doesn’t care because he knows what he’s doing. Did you know the Seattle Seahawks are the smallest team in the NFL, according to CBS announcer Phil Simms? In the win over Miami, the Yellow Jackets possessed the ball for forty-minutes and did not have a turnover. Ted Roof’s defense tallied two takeaways and limited Miami to 1 of 5 third-down conversions. Over the last three quarters, Roof’s defense limited Miami to just 3 points. I am amazed by the job Paul Johnson is doing thus far in 2014. I mean, truly amazed.

FROM Sports Illustrated:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/04/college-football-week-six-saturday-snaps

The ACC Coastal is a maze with no solution, and typically the team that wanders around the longest without fainting from exhaustion goes on to the conference championship game. Right now, the team in the best position to do so is Georgia Tech after the Yellow Jackets marched all over Miami with their hypnotic triple-option attack.

Justin Thomas has quietly put together a great first few weeks, but he deferred to the rest of his comrades against the Hurricanes. Georgia Tech rushed for 311 yards, paced by Zach Laskey’s 133. They combined to do what Paul Johnson wants them to do, eating up clock to the tune of a 40:11 to 19:15 time of possession differential.

The way Georgia Tech is going to win games won’t be pretty – as evidenced by the team’s squeakers over Georgia Southern and Virginia Tech – but it might be successful enough this year to get the Jackets to Charlotte. With the rest of the Coastal reeling and looking flawed, Georgia Tech could be the last team standing.

FROM Steve Schultz at the AJC (subscription req'd)...here's a bit of it:

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...nallink_megamenu_link#4515d59f.3789342.735511

Georgia Tech won another big game Saturday night. It wasn’t on the same level as the one over Virginia Tech. Miami wasn’t undefeated. It wasn’t even ranked. Students stormed the field again and around like 6-year-olds after too many bags of Skittles. But they left the defenseless goal posts alone this time.

But the 28-17 victory against the Hurricanes was similar in terms of affirmation.

In 2009, everybody knew the Jackets had to be taken seriously after their upset of the Hokies. They went on to an ACC championship and their first BCS bowl game.

In 2014, after consecutive victories against Virginia Tech and Miami, it’s equally apparent that these Jackets have come together and they’re fully in control of things in the ACC Coastal Division.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
That is the entirety of the coverage for the team. The more they win, the more the media ignores them.... We had more coverage after Wofford.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Coverage and rankings will come. I personally don't care for either until we beat duke. After duke I will take a deep breath but they worry me. We have to get up for a 3rd straight week. They're a well coached team and it is another crucial game. If we beat duke we have UNC, Pitt, and UVA all in a row. We got through the toughest games historically but these next few won't be blow outs, I'm afraid. We will struggle to move the ball against UVA and Pitt. They're both pretty sound defensively, and duke will throw it around as usual. If we win the TO battles in these games we will win them all but rankings and coverage don't matter yet. If we get to Clemson undefeated I hope we get the coverage though. We would really be able to use that as a recruiting tool at that point.