Stephen Hill cut from Panthers

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I just read that Stephen Hill was cut from panthers roster, I know he was fighting injury anyone else know the inside scoop? I was rooting for him to get back out there this season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just read that Stephen Hill was cut from panthers roster, I know he was fighting injury anyone else know the inside scoop? I was rooting for him to get back out there this season.
Well, the good news is that at the moment Smelter is hanging in.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Watched him are the Titans Panthers preseason game. He really didn't do anything to stand out. Hardly ran any kind of route to get open. He just seemed to be there and that was it. I kind of saw this coming. He may get picked back up to their practice squad.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Hate to say it, but I saw this coming... has suspect hands and can't stay on the field. He had a great opportunity to make the team last year but while he and Benjamin were recovering from knee injuries, Carolina developed a pretty deep receiving corp. He was a long shot from the beginning and him missing time just sped up his release. ..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As physically gifted as any WR GT has had...that includes Megatron. Just very inconsistent and the game just never fully clicked for Hill. Would make a ridiculous catch one play, and drop a routine pass the next. Got by on his off the charts athleticism all these years...but at some point you have to produce or else someone else will take your spot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was tall and fast but not in the same league physically as Megatron n Beybey.

You may want to check their combine stats. He ranks right there with them, or ahead of them in most categories.

He might not be talented football-wise as CJ and Demaryius, but physically he's right there with them.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Yeah definitely a physical freak. There's a reason why his workouts jumped him up from his 5th or 6th round grade if I remember right. Only player I think I've ever seen make a top 10 play and not top 10 play in the same game

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You may want to check their combine stats. He ranks right there with them, or ahead of them in most categories.

He might not be talented football-wise as CJ and Demaryius, but physically he's right there with them.
IIRC Megatron and DT weighed about 20# more.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As physically gifted as any WR GT has had...that includes Megatron. Just very inconsistent and the game just never fully clicked for Hill. Would make a ridiculous catch one play, and drop a routine pass the next. Got by on his off the charts athleticism all these years...but at some point you have to produce or else someone else will take your spot.
I like inflammable hyperbole as well as most. But even the best fiction at a minimum has some basis in fact.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

He doesn't have the same beef as either CJ or Bay Bay. His highest weight listing while at GT was 206, spread that out over 6'5"...... hmmm.... He didn't have that physically dominating presence. He wanted to outrun run or out jump you, not fight off press coverage or fight for position. I can't recall him being much of a blocker, either.

Maybe because of his lack of physicality and inconsistent hands, he didn't last in the league, I dunno.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if people actually do research before commenting. It's not sacreligious to compare certain players to what we perceive as "great players". NFL is full of guys who are physically equal, it's just their football ability and ability to process that separates them.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/nfl-draft-failed-stephen-hill-wide-receiver.html

The legend only grew when Hill traveled to the annual Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Evaluators knew Hill was a high level athlete, but there is always something about seeing it in a quantifiable form. Hill absolutely blew up the event. His 40-yard dash time (4.34) and broad jump distance (11’1”) were in the 96th and 98th percentile amongst wide receivers drafted since 1999, per MockDraftable. Most of his other tests were not far off, and he did all of this after measuring in at 6’4 and 215 pounds. Hill proved he was one of the more physically gifted wideouts to enter the NFL. It was that promise that prompted the playmaker needy Jets to trade up, and select Stephen Hill in the second round of the draft.

You don't get drafted as high as Hill did with the production he had in college without being a physically elite prospect that coaches feel they can mold. Physically, Hill checks all the boxes Megatron and DT did. Football wise, that's another story...

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody doubts his speed and athleticism. I think people doubt his physicality that goes with that speed.

Demaryius was an inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier. Calvin was an inch taller and 25 pounds heavier.

All 3 are equal athletes. But demaryius and calvin were thick and could do every thing that Stephen could. You don't expect Stephen to out muscle people. You do calvin and demaryius. That's the difference (outside of football skills)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nobody doubts his speed and athleticism. I think people doubt his physicality that goes with that speed.

Demaryius was an inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier. Calvin was an inch taller and 25 pounds heavier.

All 3 are equal athletes. But demaryius and calvin were thick and could do every thing that Stephen could. You don't expect Stephen to out muscle people. You do calvin and demaryius. That's the difference (outside of football skills)

You do understand what "physical talents" means, right? As you said, all three are equal (in certain regards as the link I provided shows). I didn't say Hill was better/equal in everything...I just said "As physically gifted as any WR GT has had". Size, speed, athleticism...Hill ranks right there or ahead in some instances. OK, Hill isn't as "thick"...so what? Randy Moss was 210 lbs...but he was considered physically gifted because of the same things Hill was considered physically gifted for.

I mean, the data points are there. I'm not sure why this is really a discussion. The only thing Stephen lacks is the ability to put those physical talents to use in the football world, and that's why he's looking for a team.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
You do understand what "physical talents" means, right? As you said, all three are equal (in certain regards as the link I provided shows). I didn't say Hill was better/equal in everything...I just said "As physically gifted as any WR GT has had". Size, speed, athleticism...Hill ranks right there or ahead in some instances. OK, Hill isn't as "thick"...so what? Randy Moss was 210 lbs...but he was considered physically gifted because of the same things Hill was considered physically gifted for.

I mean, the data points are there. I'm not sure why this is really a discussion. The only thing Stephen lacks is the ability to put those physical talents to use in the football world, and that's why he's looking for a team.

If your argument is effectively that if a 240lb LB runs a 4.6 is physically equal to a 200lb WR that runs a 4.6 then we will agree to disagree.

I agree that hill is, in terms of speed, equal to all of demaryius, calvin, and Randy. In terms of OVERALL physical talent. No.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If your argument is effectively that if a 240lb LB runs a 4.6 is physically equal to a 200lb WR that runs a 4.6 then we will agree to disagree.

I agree that hill is, in terms of speed, equal to all of demaryius, calvin, and Randy. In terms of OVERALL physical talent. No.

LOL...dude, you want to knock Hill for his weight, but you don't give him any credit for any of the other traits of "physical talents". OK...that's your perogative. Agree to disagree.

I guess we can discount all of Randy Moss's physical talents because he "only" did it at 210 lbs...