Status of Transfer Players

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Have all the transfer players now arrived and working with the team? Rambling Wreck roster has all them listed but not all yet pictured. Any info on how they are doing and who is expected to play a key role , especially those not here for the Spring Game and the linebackers in particular ?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am interested in who among the transfers will be big play guys. Same for incoming freshmen as well.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For those that haven’t followed this year as close as previous ones, Anyone want to summarize which transfers are supposed to make largest impacts?

Holes seem to be at OL, DL, LB

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For those that haven’t followed this year as close as previous ones, Anyone want to summarize which transfers are supposed to make largest impacts?

Holes seem to be at OL, DL, LB

Depth chart shows shortages at S, S, and N with no transfer help.. However this issue is blessed with 6 returners all cross trained and they have a common coach. Stay healthy and we are OK here. LB has 5 transfers and two legit returners for two positions but who steps up? OL has 5 returners and one highly touted transfer + a red shirt freshman and another transfer . DEs are fine with 5 returners and one strong transfer. DTs have 4 returners. DL should be OK. CBs have one starter and 3 players with experience returning + one transfer. TEs have 3 returners and 2 transfers. Problem here is talent more than numbers. Transfers and the highly touted frosh have likely fixed our WRs. At RB we have 2 returners and a solid transfer and a very promising frosh. We also have 2 serviceable walkons. QBs are OK with the transfer and the 2 returners.. LB play is the big question.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Haynes King at QB is a special talent. Can’t wait to see how Chris & Buster refine his game. Cooley will play at RB, because we can’t expect Dontae Smith to never come off the field. If Blaylock is healthy, he can help Rutherford absorb some WR reps. Chase Lane & speedy Abdul Janneh, can contribute as well(looked good in the Spring Game. Christian Leary didn’t play much for Alabama, so a wait & see. Plenty of opportunity for Jackson Long & Brett Seither at TE. Scaglione is a bright, smart, physical, versatile OL. Jordan Brown is massive, if he can maintain his stamina at 6’41/2 & 325.

Eddie Kelly, Etinosa Reuben will fill a big need on the DL. A lot of time left to develop since they are young. I can see Eddie(3 years left of eligibility)coming off the Edge on 3rd down situations. Reuben is almost 300 lbs. & quick side to side on the interior, per a Clemson friend who intently watched him practice as a Freshman.
PAUL MOALA, Brae Oliver both have a year left, & we need production at LB. I’m hoping Andre White from TexA&M stays healthy on the Inside LB spot. My nephew a Rutgers grad.; spoke highly of Austin Dean. He’s my sleeper. Believe he’s #52.
Desperate for depth in the Secondary, Omar Daniels & Justin Brown have to get reps. Brown is a hitter; good pairing with Captain LaMiles Brooks as Safties.

Plenty of Preferred Walk-ons to help competitions at Punter. Same for ST, if any become standouts. We know CBK wants his 1’s & 2’s(from amongst some of the 44)to play on Special Teams. Please stay with the three man interior wedge for David Shanahan.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Depth chart shows shortages at S, S, and N with no transfer help.. However this issue is blessed with 6 returners all cross trained and they have a common coach. Stay healthy and we are OK here. LB has 5 transfers and two legit returners for two positions but who steps up? OL has 5 returners and one highly touted transfer + a red shirt freshman and another transfer . DEs are fine with 5 returners and one strong transfer. DTs have 4 returners. DL should be OK. CBs have one starter and 3 players with experience returning + one transfer. TEs have 3 returners and 2 transfers. Problem here is talent more than numbers. Transfers and the highly touted frosh have likely fixed our WRs. At RB we have 2 returners and a solid transfer and a very promising frosh. We also have 2 serviceable walkons. QBs are OK with the transfer and the 2 returners.. LB play is the big question.
Does S=“Safety”? We have Brooks and Lee there—that’s not the position I’d think of as having a shortage. Do you not like the backups?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like to look at the transfer help by position:
QB the one transfer has been big in solidifying this position along with the development of our walkon QB
RB The one transfer here added to 2 returners along with the talented frosh and the 2 solid walkons make this position solid
WR The multiple transfers here along with the development of a couple of returning players + a very talented frosh has fixed what looked like a problem position a few months ago
OL We got one excellent transfer to go with 5 returners and another transfer and a developing returning player to solidify this position
TE We got 2 transfers that should help 3 experienced TEs (but here the bar is not very high). This position will need more time to completely solidify.
DE We got one very promising transfer addition to add to the 5 experienced returning players + possibly another developmental transfer to make this our strongest depth group
CB We got one transfer to add to a starter and 3 experienced players but we may have needed more transfer help unless a frosh comes through
LB We got 5 experieced transfers to go with a gifted returner and from this group surely we can find the help we need. I trust the coaching can make this not be a problem position
DT We got no DT transfer help but with 4 returners and some creative coaching I think this position should not be a problem unless we have multiple injuries..
N, S, S We got no help from the transfer but we have 6 returners with talent and a common coach who is cross training. Multiple injuries could change this.

The coaches IMO have done an outstanding job of fixing some position issues, especially WR/slot, QB, and LB, and we may see some + surprises from this group of transfers (and hopefully from the LBs)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Does S=“Safety”? We have Brooks and Lee there—that’s not the position I’d think of as having a shortage. Do you not like the backups?
I love Brooks and Lee. I like the backups. My point is N, S, S are positions where we only have 2 players per position counting scholly, walkons, and frosh. We have 4 proven QBs, 3 proven RBs and 3 others likeky good, WR/slot has 7 proven players and an outstanding frosh, We have 5 TEs with experience, We have 6 proven OL plus at least 4 more in the system, plus 5 frosh +cross training, WE have 6 DEs with experience, We have 4 DTs with experience (same as N. S, S per position), We have 7 experienced LBs, We have 6 CBs and 4 frosh. My point is simply we do not have the numbers for N, S, S beyong 2 per position when looking at the roster by position..

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Brooks and Lee. I like the backups. My point is N, S, S are positions where we only have 2 players per position counting scholly, walkons, and frosh. We have 4 proven QBs, 3 proven RBs and 3 others likeky good, WR/slot has 7 proven players and an outstanding frosh, We have 5 TEs with experience, We have 6 proven OL plus at least 4 more in the system, plus 5 frosh +cross training, WE have 6 DEs with experience, We have 4 DTs with experience (same as N. S, S per position), We have 7 experienced LBs, We have 6 CBs and 4 frosh. My point is simply we do not have the numbers for N, S, S beyong 2 per position when looking at the roster by position..
Nickel and Safeties can play multiple positions. We should be fine there with Brooks, CPL, King, Gee, Wallace, Shelley, and Bryant. Also some CBs can play Nickel if needed.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Nickel and Safeties can play multiple positions. We should be fine there with Brooks, CPL, King, Gee, Wallace, Shelley, and Bryant. Also some CBs can play Nickel if needed.
Lots of talent there and we want that talent on the field. As long as we do not have multiple injuries at those positions and Coach Tillman can be creative in practice with those number of players I agree that we will be fine. That must be the coaches decision as well since we did not go after transfers for those positions. Coach Coleman has similar numbers at DT but he has experience with some creative use of DEs inside in certain situations and we will be fine there without multiple injuries to DT players.