State of CFB - NIL, Transfers, Elites and the Rest

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In my advanced years ... either change IS ridiculously faster or I perceive it to be faster and accelerating.

Nothing happening is wrong or illegal... quite the opposite. NIL was/is the right thing, legally. And SA's should be free to move school to school like any other student.

However, in practical terms... it seems weve launched into a serious new world order with competing priorities and no good plan. These 18-24 year olds have a heavy burdens trying to navigate the decisions ahead of them. I cannot imagine when I was that age having that much money and public attention aimed at me. Attempting to balance the demands/needs of being a student-athlete and decisions that impact their financial welfare and that of their families.... it's really nuts.

All that occurring in the context of the "governing body" (NCAA) powerless (it seems) to control competitive balance as conferences are realigning to chase the money and "dominate".

I don't have answers; but it feels out of control and bad for a majority of the athletes.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Example here...

The big problem is offering high school kids money to entice them to come to a certain school. That can be easily fixed. I’m not sure how they can control transfers once they are already a SA at their respected institutions without just completely doing away with the rule. NCAA opened up Pandora’s box now they have to fix this mess. Shouldn’t have done this in the first place.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
In my advanced years ... either change IS ridiculously faster or I perceive it to be faster and accelerating.

Nothing happening is wrong or illegal... quite the opposite. NIL was/is the right thing, legally. And SA's should be free to move school to school like any other student.

However, in practical terms... it seems weve launched into a serious new world order with competing priorities and no good plan. These 18-24 year olds have a heavy burdens trying to navigate the decisions ahead of them. I cannot imagine when I was that age having that much money and public attention aimed at me. Attempting to balance the demands/needs of being a student-athlete and decisions that impact their financial welfare and that of their families.... it's really nuts.

All that occurring in the context of the "governing body" (NCAA) powerless (it seems) to control competitive balance as conferences are realigning to chase the money and "dominate".

I don't have answers; but it feels out of control and bad for a majority of the athletes.
I agree. There are many stories of prominent athletes that went professional and had no one trustworthy or competent to manage their finances. The opportunity for worthless people stealing money from college athletes is now high.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue is that they already were on equal if not better terms with the rest of the student body. I’m sorry, but I don’t feel sorry for them. Lots of students would have to consider losing their scholarships altogether should they transfer, but football players having to sit out a year due to transfer is supposed to be some great tragedy?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Eventually, a handful of schools (3-4 dozen max?) will commit to playing for the big prize.

All the rest, and that includes us, will play, if at all, at a much reduced level. Think Ivy League here.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Eventually, a handful of schools (3-4 dozen max?) will commit to playing for the big prize.

All the rest, and that includes us, will play, if at all, at a much reduced level. Think Ivy League here.
A handful of schools have already committed to playing for the big prize. The public at large hasn’t realized it yet. Wait till those new conference tv contracts kick in and there will be a dramatic difference. You think the SEC wins a lot now. Wait, till they can “legally” buy the best coaches and players with even more ease.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Example here...

It’s pretty wild the NIL has come to this. Technically, there should be no contact before Dec 5 and when the player is in the portal. It’s “nice” that they legalized bag men so that the recruiting period can stay open during the silent period.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Imagine pro baseball. You spend tons of money developing players in the minors and someone swoops in and grabs your top ten prospects in AAA.
At least there are rules about it and compensation for the team who developed them....at least the top 12/14 not on the major league roster. I'd be fine with that...if a player transfers to a new school then the school who loses him gets one of their scholarship slots for the next year. It would make it possible for players to transfer while bringing some semblance of parity back.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CFB needs to become professionalized with a players union, binding contracts, and a salary cap

also since the ncaa is now toothless, congress needs to get involved and make laws to govern this new wild west we are living in. I know that nobody wants the gov involved in anything and that they could screw up a wet dream but it needs to happen for cfb to survive.

Last edited: