Stat of the day (Miami edition)

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Against real opponents (e.g., not Arkansas St and not Florida A&M), Miami has had 36 3rd down attempts.

They only converted 7 of them.

1 for 13 against Louisville
4 for 10 against Nebraska
2 for 13 against Duke

Out of 127 FBS teams, only SMU does worse on 3rd down.

I'm guessing CTR is licking his chops right now.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can stop the run and force them to pass that will help us. I would think that they convert a lot on second down because of their running backs. Make them one dimensional and that's a start. I hope we have some exotic coverages and blitzes set up...dinged oline and rookie qb seems like a combination that wins for us.

One more thing...don't give up the long TD.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@vamosjackets 4 of 12 on 3rd and 1 of 2 on 4th down... but you probably knew that stat.

Does anyone think Miami will have a tougher D or equivalent D as VT?

You have to wonder if Paul will bring Byerly in for 3rd and short. My guess that JT will get the snaps and will be given the chance to make the conversion.

We had several very long 3rd downs due to penalties.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
@vamosjackets 4 of 12 on 3rd and 1 of 2 on 4th down... but you probably knew that stat.

I think that VT will have a better D. At least a better prepared. Bud Foster game plans for GT more than any other team, dedicating part of his pre-season camp specifically for it. VT does a good job of limiting our O every season.

Miami hasn't stopped us on O for the past two seasons, we just haven't been able to stop theirs either which has resulted in the losses.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
@vamosjackets Does anyone think Miami will have a tougher D or equivalent D as VT?
Miami seems vulnerable to the rush. VT is giving up 3.2 ypc while UM is giving up 4.2 ypc. In overall third down conversion defense, VT is 7th in the country while Miami is a pedestrian 51st.

No way Miami's D is as good as VT's. If JT can hit some passes early to soften them up, look out.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck

You have to wonder if Paul will bring Byerly in for 3rd and short. My guess that JT will get the snaps and will be given the chance to make the conversion.

I was surprised that Tim didn't come in for the short yardage/goal-line situations @ VT like he did earlier this season. I don't think Tim will get touches until the game is fully in hand. This is a vote of confidence in JT from CPJ.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think @vamosjackets may have been talking about our D vs VPI. They converted 8 of 14 3rd downs against us.

Our D is #118 of 128 teams in opponent 3rd conversion, #117 vs FBS and #109 vs FBS power 5 (of 123).

We've forced 12 punts, 8 FG att's and gained 7 turnovers. Against VPI, we forced 3 punts and got 3 interceptions and allowed 4 FG att's.

We are almost literally the last team in the country to be talking about licking lips over 3rd downs.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think their 3rd down stats are going to get a bump playing us. We can't stop anyone on 3rd and 5+ yards.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Against real opponents (e.g., not Arkansas St and not Florida A&M), Miami has had 36 3rd down attempts.

They only converted 7 of them.

1 for 13 against Louisville
4 for 10 against Nebraska
2 for 13 against Duke

Out of 127 FBS teams, only SMU does worse on 3rd down.

I'm guessing CTR is licking his chops right now.

Well Tech is 118th in 3rd down defense allowing 1st downs 48.98% of the time and a considerable amount have been from 3rd and long.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category25/sort01.html

If we can stop the run and force them to pass that will help us. I would think that they convert a lot on second down because of their running backs. Make them one dimensional and that's a start. I hope we have some exotic coverages and blitzes set up...dinged oline and rookie qb seems like a combination that wins for us.

One more thing...don't give up the long TD.

One more thing, keep our offense on the field, and score on every possession.

I like to think of it as "third and to the house."

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Question? If you miss the first down on 3rd but make the first down on fourth, does that missed 3rd down stat count?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I would say yes, as the 3rd down was not converted.
thanks. As a team that will go for it on fourth more than most (and quite often make it) our 3rd down success will be slightly understated compared to most as the lack of making it on 3rd generally infers a turnover of possession. Not a big issue but one somewhat unique to us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We also held them to 8 yds/play. When they only have 5 3rd down plays in a game, that's not a good thing.