Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How so? How does throwing deep and it being a incomplete pass, as you said, get the defense to back up? That just tells them, "Oh hey this guy can't hit squat deep, we don't have to worry about that as much." and then they creep forward. They would focus more on the short/intermediate passes and the run game.
All we have to do is show we can get behind them. The threat of connecting will keep the safeties back. Deep balls are a very low percentage play, so the threat of getting behind them is generally enough. Obviously, the throws have to be close enough to show that it can hit.

Honestly, of everything I said, you parsed out that one little part at the end to take umbrage with and then made a wide sweeping comment? If this had been your initial response, then there would have been more discourse.

Deleted member 2897

Is it fair to question how he’s being developed?

I think anything is fair to question. I’m also happy to defend Sims against any criticism. I think his numbers stand for themselves. Out of 100 throws he’s only had like 6-8 bad decisions IMHO. He’s 18 years old and had hardly any real practice this spring and summer. Bring it on. Nobody’s perfect anyway.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly haven’t noticed much criticism aimed at our freshman QB. Generally it seems like everyone has been accepting of the expected freshman mistakes and have recognized a lot of the offensive breakdowns are not all on Sims. I’m still very skeptical of some aspects of this coaching staff, but excited about the potential future of this QB.

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
And I’m not calling out anyone here. I just keep hearing folks say we need to sit him. Start someone else. Stuff like that. But I personally think he needs to take his lumps now. If he started to get flustered, okay pull him. But this kid is calm and collected.
I think he has incredible upside and how else do you reach that with experience on the field.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
you haven't been following along then. There are a couple of posters who evidently believe that, if they do nothing but whine non-stop about him, then maybe he'll get pulled, and their preferred qb will get the nod.

it has been way overboard.

I honestly haven’t noticed much criticism aimed at our freshman QB. Generally it seems like everyone has been accepting of the expected freshman mistakes and have recognized a lot of the offensive breakdowns are not all on Sims. I’m still very skeptical of some aspects of this coaching staff, but excited about the potential future of this QB.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I've seen a lot of things, but I don't think I've ever seen sugar on grits. What you someone possibly have in their head to do that.
Sugar on grits sounds crazy. I would try hotdogs with mayo though. I've had fries with ice cream, closets thing to grits and sugar.

i wouldn't be opposed to sitting Sims if he looks overwhelmed, give him a game or two to regain his composure. I'd make sure he knows that he is the plan for the future though kind of like Brett Favre Aaron Rodgers (not saying we have Brett Favre lol). I think the bye week will be very beneficial though. It should let Sims process the speed at this level, which is all apart of the development. But if the same struggles continue, pull him for a little so he can adjust and so we don't shatter his confidence.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete

Then read the thread "Starting QB Speculation" starting about page 48 & you'll get a snoot full.

Against 'Cuse, IIRC, two of his INTs came off a backside defender hitting his arm as his threw to his left. That's on the rookie RT, et al.

slugboy

Staff member
As long as he doesn't put mayonnaise on a hot dog I'm fine with him.
There is just something I don't like about people who put mayonnaise on a hot dog.
It's kind of like people who put sugar on grits
I apologize for going off topic, but this is the first year I’ve had the ACC Network, and I had no idea that Duke’s Mayonnaise had that kind of advertising budget. Or that anyone would advertise putting mayonnaise into guacamole. I’m sure their ad with mayo on a hot dog is just around the corner.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why people want Sims to sit . Is there a problem when he comes off the field that there is no room on the bench for him to sit and he has to stand. I know we have money problems but maybe we could get another bench so all our players could sit after they come off the field and not have to stand.
I'm more worried about not have 3 ply toilet paper in the restrooms.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The only thing I think anyone’s questioning is whether or not Sims needed some time on the sidelines to regroup. That serves 3 purposes. It let the back up get some reps because God forbid we have one of those “oh crap” moments, we get to put to bed whether the 2nd fan favorite “the back up QB” is really competitive or maybe could be a worse practice guy but could be a field general, and most importantly gives our future, Sims, some time to settle down and be coached on elements of the game he lacks experience in.

There’s maybe one other element but I’m not sure Sims has this liability. That’s self-confidence. He seems to be able to shrug off the down moments so I’m not sure leaving him in to learn thru the school of hard knocks is damaging to his progression into a high performing QB. Some QBs are permanently damaged & never elevate their game because they become so risk averse they become hamstrung. It’s a legit concern, but I don’t think Sims is susceptible to that.

Whether or not we have a QB coach capable of developing QBs is CGC’s job to assess. How he handles Sims will go a long way to eliminating or stoking concerns there.