Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
May lose another one as well. I was hoping to see a backup Saturday for the last possession to see who is number 2. Took a chance with Sims getting an injury when game was basically over. That shot he took which looked like targeting to me could have been really serious. I was at the game and did not see a replay. The guy left his feet and head first. Refs were about as bad as I have seen.

Someone said they saw Yates getting ready when Sims lost his helmet on one play late. I can't verify that.

kalld12

Banned
May lose another one as well. I was hoping to see a backup Saturday for the last possession to see who is number 2. Took a chance with Sims getting an injury when game was basically over. That shot he took which looked like targeting to me could have been really serious. I was at the game and did not see a replay. The guy left his feet and head first. Refs were about as bad as I have seen.

You cant tell me after how well JG threw the deep ball last year under a makeshift oline (one of worst in country) and his ability to extend plays that he isnt the #2 option. if he isnt, this tells me 1 or 2 things. 1) Last year they started him out of necessity and the fact he was the BEST we had at the the time to put ourselves in a position to win 2) CGC wasnt going to start a QB he didnt recruit with high caliber guys coming in, and wanting to continue to recruit the QB position at a high level showing young recruits that theyll have a chance to play.

I think JG will transfer unfortuantely, I think he's good enough to find a place to play, hes crazy athletic and has an arm. I only want the best for the kid and im a HUGE FAN of his. This "take it like a man" sht needs to stop, as any 18-20 yr old kid would do if they were the starter one year and NOT the next, his confidence and self esteem is down, I just hope the coaches and players are rallying around their teammate because he did alot for the program last year.

Keep your head up JG, never know when youll be called upon, we need you!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

As much as I hate to say it, because the refs were bad, the defender did lead with his shoulder, and it was clear in slow mo. Jeff is going to have to learn how to protect himself. If he had been in a sliding defensive position, it would have still been a penalty, but he had not given himself up and committed to sliding. He is taking way too many big shots.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
As much as I hate to say it, because the refs were bad, the defender did lead with his shoulder, and it was clear in slow mo. Jeff is going to have to learn how to protect himself. If he had been in a sliding defensive position, it would have still been a penalty, but he had not given himself up and committed to sliding. He is taking way too many big shots.

I was at the game as well and you could hear what sounded like helmet to helmet contact. But when they showed the replay on the screen you could see the officials got it right that the contact was, as you said, not helmet to helmet. I'm hoping Jeff learns when he needs to slide so he hopefully takes fewer big hits.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game as well and you could hear what sounded like helmet to helmet contact. But when they showed the replay on the screen you could see the officials got it right that the contact was, as you said, not helmet to helmet. I'm hoping Jeff learns when he needs to slide so he hopefully takes fewer big hits.
He needs to learn how to slide. Gabriel slid a lot... and did so with cleats up. That will deter a LB or DB from launching at you.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Move Graham to WR or CB - I'd prefer CB since I'm not particularly concerned about the WR position and our CBs were sucking it up last game, but wherever he can make the most impact.

You cant tell me after how well JG threw the deep ball last year under a makeshift oline (one of worst in country) and his ability to extend plays that he isnt the #2 option. if he isnt, this tells me 1 or 2 things. 1) Last year they started him out of necessity and the fact he was the BEST we had at the the time to put ourselves in a position to win 2) CGC wasnt going to start a QB he didnt recruit with high caliber guys coming in, and wanting to continue to recruit the QB position at a high level showing young recruits that theyll have a chance to play.

I think JG will transfer unfortuantely, I think he's good enough to find a place to play, hes crazy athletic and has an arm. I only want the best for the kid and im a HUGE FAN of his. This "take it like a man" sht needs to stop, as any 18-20 yr old kid would do if they were the starter one year and NOT the next, his confidence and self esteem is down, I just hope the coaches and players are rallying around their teammate because he did alot for the program last year.

Keep your head up JG, never know when youll be called upon, we need you!
My "take it like a man" reference was prompted by a famous article in the AJC the year Billy Lotheridge took over the QB position from Stan Gann. I cannot find the article now, but Bisher (or one of the AJC writers) had a column referring to the fact that Stan Gann, often called Stan the Man, "became a man" when he accepted the fact that Lotheridge was replacing him. In spite of losing the starter job, he remained loyal both to Tech, Dodd, and Lotheridge. I would hope that JG can do the same, unless he gets an opportunity to transfer to a school where he might once again start.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agree on that and I also think he ran more than the coaches would like to see against ucf in general. He needs to use his legs to create space but continue to look downfield for recievers. Of course, there will be some designed runs and situations where he has a wide open lane, but otherwise needs to run less than he did last week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think our record and offensive production would be about the same or better if Graham had started. I think a poster above nailed it: Collins is going to start/play players he recruited. If the difference isn't that great - probably isn't between Sims and Graham - he'd start Sims and hope he develops quickly. But I don't think there's any doubt that behind this year's line Graham or Yates would be as productive.

This is SOP. Last year, Howard was our second best RB by YPC and Griffin got the carries. (No coach in his right mind would sit Mason down.) New coaches want to go with players they recruited, no matter what.

Soooooo … I expect Graham to transfer, unless he gets a chance and lights things up. It's too bad. He's a superlative talent and we don't get too many of those. We might loose Yates too.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think our record and offensive production would be about the same or better if Graham had started. I think a poster above nailed it: Collins is going to start/play players he recruited. If the difference isn't that great - probably isn't between Sims and Graham - he'd start Sims and hope he develops quickly. But I don't think there's any doubt that behind this year's line Graham or Yates would be as productive.

This is SOP. Last year, Howard was our second best RB by YPC and Griffin got the carries. (No coach in his right mind would sit Mason down.) New coaches want to go with players they recruited, no matter what.

Soooooo … I expect Graham to transfer, unless he gets a chance and lights things up. It's too bad. He's a superlative talent and we don't get too many of those. We might loose Yates too.
Unless JG has learned how to complete the short and intermediate passes I don’t think one offensive production would be as good as it has been. Yes last year’s OL was not as good as what we’ve seem so far this year but James was not good last season either.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

This is such an absolutely ridiculous take. It’s absolute nonsense to think a coach would rather play a guy that he recruited over another player who is clearly better. Sims, Yates, and Gleason are probably ALL better than Graham. Everyone understands that Graham played behind an atrocious OL last year, but that’s not an excuse to miss on the majority of his short to intermediate length passes. It’s obvious that the intermediate passing game is what CDP’s offense relies on. Sims seems to be the most capable of doing that, as well as being more than adequate with his legs.

If Collins only wants to play “his”guys, why didn’t J. Griffin get the majority of carries last year? Why isn’t Miles Brooks playing? Why hasn’t Nate McCollum been on the field? Michael Rankins hasn’t sniffed the line. Billy Ward, the only “natural” TE on scholarship that was available Saturday received less playing time than a converted long snapper.

No coach worth his weight in :poop: would play a guy he recruited over another player that is better, simply because he recruited one of them. That notion is BS, and anyone who believes it full of themselves.

kalld12

Banned
Unless JG has learned how to complete the short and intermediate passes I don’t think one offensive production would be as good as it has been. Yes last year’s OL was not as good as what we’ve seem so far this year but James was not good last season either.
Has Sims hit the deep ball? I bet AB misses Graham. Some of you thing Sims is the second coming of Jesus Christ, personally i dont see a huge difference. Sims is making the same mistakes Graham made and rightfully so, they're both young QBs. Sims hits the intermediate throws, but cant throw the deep ball and they both have the same ability to extend the play. The difference I can see is the diff in Oline play, Sims is reaping the advantage there. SO where lies the diff between the two? Teams will continue to stack the middle until he can show he can throw over top. I like Sims, but personally i don't see a huge difference.

kalld12

Banned
This is such an absolutely ridiculous take. It’s absolute nonsense to think a coach would rather play a guy that he recruited over another player who is clearly better. Sims, Yates, and Gleason are probably ALL better than Graham. Everyone understands that Graham played behind an atrocious OL last year, but that’s not an excuse to miss on the majority of his short to intermediate length passes. It’s obvious that the intermediate passing game is what CDP’s offense relies on. Sims seems to be the most capable of doing that, as well as being more than adequate with his legs.

If Collins only wants to play “his”guys, why didn’t J. Griffin get the majority of carries last year? Why isn’t Miles Brooks playing? Why hasn’t Nate McCollum been on the field? Michael Rankins hasn’t sniffed the line. Billy Ward, the only “natural” TE on scholarship that was available Saturday received less playing time than a converted long snapper.

No coach worth his weight in :poop: would play a guy he recruited over another player that is better, simply because he recruited one of them. That notion is BS, and anyone who believes it full of themselves.

LOL.... is it though? Its all about perception and let me tell YOU, CGC is all about perception and building a brand/culture. Its absolutely ignorance to think CGC wouldn't start a recruit he recruited over someone he didn't. This sends a message to recruits that you can come in and play early. You comparing other position groups to QB doesnt have the same clout and proves nothing. Get your head out of the mud.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Has Sims hit the deep ball? I bet AB misses Graham. Some of you thing Sims is the second coming of Jesus Christ, personally i dont see a huge difference. Sims is making the same mistakes Graham made and rightfully so, they're both young QBs. Sims hits the intermediate throws, but cant throw the deep ball and they both have the same ability to extend the play. The difference I can see is the diff in Oline play, Sims is reaping the advantage there. SO where lies the diff between the two? Teams will continue to stack the middle until he can show he can throw over top. I like Sims, but personally i don't see a huge difference.

Im gonna lean on what the players have been saying. Sims is legit.
Graham has options I know it sucks to get beating out but he could move to another position or transfer. I’m sure a school like Kennesaw would take him. If he wants to play P5 football he’ll just move to another position.