Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If you start a true freshman you have to be willing to live through the inevitable ups and downs. Can't tank a guy unless things are really going off the rails. If anything you may let him sit for a series just to calm down but he can't he looking over his shoulder the entire time.

THIS!

slugboy

Staff member
If you start a true freshman you have to be willing to live through the inevitable ups and downs. Can't tank a guy unless things are really going off the rails. If anything you may let him sit for a series just to calm down but he can't he looking over his shoulder the entire time.
I’m not in favor of having a QB rotation just for the sake of rotating players. I have seen a good OC or quarterback coach swap out a young QB so that they could coach them on the sidelines for a series. Friedgen did that with Godsey and Crenshaw for a while (before Crenshaw left), and Godsey visibly improved during that time.
I’ve also seen Steve Spurrier rotate quarterbacks so that he’d have someone to abuse on the sidelines and so that the other one would sweat a bit.
Short version: If you’re going to pull a young QB out, use the time on the sidelines to get him ready to come back in readier than they came out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Never been so happy to guess wrong
Back before all the coronavirus crap I was hoping for 9 games for Graham and the rest of the season for Sims. He was obviously the most talented QB we’ve recruited since JT. I was thinking Sims would need some transition time to get ready for the speed of the game. That clearly was not the case. Glad P’nut had the balls to annoint him the starter and get him the reps in practice he needed to excel. It paid off last night.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Back before all the coronavirus crap I was hoping for 9 games for Graham and the rest of the season for Sims. He was obviously the most talented QB we’ve recruited since JT. I was thinking Sims would need some transition time to get ready for the speed of the game. That clearly was not the case. Glad P’nut had the balls to annoint him the starter and get him the reps in practice he needed to excel. It paid off last night.

I don't think it has anything to do with balls. Or lack thereof. I have always maintained and will continue to maintain that coaches see the practices and pick the guy or girl that they feel gives them the best chance to win. This is not Little League where the parent who purchased the uniforms for the team gets to tell the coach where and when to play their kid. These guys are getting paid 6 and 7 figures to do a job and are recruiting and developing and starting the players who will allow them to maintain or improve their professional status in life. They behave the way most of us (I assume) do or did when we are at work in leadership positions. Are they infallible? Of course not, they are human. But I don't believe in conspiracy theories neither.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed that the simplest reasoning is the best. I was convinced we would go with the known known of JG in a hostile environment against a conference foe. I was wrong.

I see why the coaches played Jeff. He not only looked the part when making throws but didn’t panic in the sidelines or see the team give up on him. That was a helluva welcome to college football.
👐🏼👏🏼👐🏼👏🏼👐🏼👏🏼👐

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, was that a compliment for CDP? I am sure he had nothing to do with winning. He must have been only working the first half. 😜

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Guys...go back to the Elite 11 episodes Sims was on. Sims is a baller, and it's just not his physical skillset. The guy can process defenses and information at a high level and execute the plays given to him. He was one of the better QBs on the show...and it was filled with the elite of the elite across the country. He wasn't competing against scrubs.

Now you combine that with his physical tools, and you can see the upside the coaches love in Sims. There are gonna be some WTF moments, but there will also be some "HOLY SH!T" moments as well.

Sit back and enjoy GT fans...GT football is about to kick off. Let's f$cking go!!!!
This was a great post. Aged very well

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Now the interesting question is who is first off the bench when Sims comes out.
I still want him to get a few more games under his belt. DC's will now have an idea how to defend him and he needs to see other defences with different skill sets. This kid has tremendous potential but needs time to get even better. We need to cut down on penalties (80 yards) and better in the red zone. FG blocking needs obvious work or a change in who is out there. I think PJ started using starters from the OL a few years ago when he had some issues on ST.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t grab it before it was deleted, but JG tweeted that his dreams were falling apart. Hopefully he’ll keep his head up and keep grinding. You just never know this year.
Hate it for him.
Sadly I don't think he has a position outside of QB. He is a Group of 5 QB. Unless he improves on accuracy under 15 yards he will struggle at any level. I am unsure of his skill set as a WR. We are pretty set at WR, DB, and RB. I don't know where he fits on this current team outside of a backup QB.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn’t grab it before it was deleted, but JG tweeted that his dreams were falling apart. Hopefully he’ll keep his head up and keep grinding. You just never know this year.
I worried this might happen, which is why I said either freshman had to be clearly the best QB to win the starting role.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I worried this might happen, which is why I said either freshman had to be clearly the best QB to win the starting role.
May lose another one as well. I was hoping to see a backup Saturday for the last possession to see who is number 2. Took a chance with Sims getting an injury when game was basically over. That shot he took which looked like targeting to me could have been really serious. I was at the game and did not see a replay. The guy left his feet and head first. Refs were about as bad as I have seen.