Start on Offense or Defense?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which would you prefer?

I think there's a better chance we score opening the second half than the first...

It seems that Johnson (and most coaches recently) prefer to defer and get the ball 1st in the 2nd half. I also agree with you that CPJ is a master of 2nd half adjustments and grabbing the momentum. Also, it seems (perception bias) to me that we often turn the ball over when we have the 1st possession of the 1st half.

That being said, I think we should try and jump on this game early, taking the 1st possession if we have the opportunity. Maybe our D will be more comfortable and their O more stressed if we get jump up on the lead.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point AE87, but I can't recall Paul ever taking the ball if we win the toss. I'd wager he does the same tonight if given the choice.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we start out on defense regardless of the coin flip. CPJ wins, he defers and if "that boy" wins, clemson will take the ball first.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, we'll defer.

Just this once, however, I wish we wouldn't. I think it's more important to see what the Tiggers are going to do on D then it is for us to see what they're doing on O. We aren't going to stop them much, so I think the game will depend on how - and how fast - we adjust to their D tendencies. If they score quickly on their first drive and we spend a series trying things out, I'm not sure it'll do us much good.

But … yeah, we'll defer. So will they if they win.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would defer. Get our D more reps vs their O before the half, and let their D sit on the sideline and wonder what we are going to do with our first possession.