Start of Phase I return

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think starting 2 weeks later was very intentional, as the virus takes a maximum of 2 weeks to get out of your system even if you’re asymptomatic. This plan was developed in very late May. I think CGC and company asked our guys to quarantine and make sure they didn’t have the virus.

Because real “football” practices won’t start till July, what we’re doing now is conditioning. With gyms opening up safely now and with Coach Lew leading the way on at home workouts, two weeks was a small price to pay for insuring that we don’t have any players test positive and having to start all over.

Other programs started earlier and had positive tests, like Alabama. I think this AD and staff know exactly what they were doing

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think starting 2 weeks later was very intentional, as the virus takes a maximum of 2 weeks to get out of your system even if you’re asymptomatic. This plan was developed in very late May. I think CGC and company asked our guys to quarantine and make sure they didn’t have the virus.

Because real “football” practices won’t start till July, what we’re doing now is conditioning. With gyms opening up safely now and with Coach Lew leading the way on at home workouts, two weeks was a small price to pay for insuring that we don’t have any players test positive and having to start all over.

Other programs started earlier and had positive tests, like Alabama. I think this AD and staff know exactly what they were doing

Hope you haven't hust proved my point.

If real practices don't start until July - why show up now.

Why not be double, extra special careful?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hope you haven't hust proved my point.

If real practices don't start until July - why show up now.

Why not be double, extra special careful?
Parents probably pushed for a return ASAP. Ever tried feeding teenage boys? It ain't cheap. ;) :D

^especially teenage boys who are specifically trying to gain weight

I’m sure there’s many parents that can’t even feed their kids properly much less provide a proper diet for elite athletes. Then you got the fact that there’s kids on our team that might not live behind a nice gate in the burbs. Lastly & least important if I were a student again, the last place I’d want to be was home except for holidays & stuff like that.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure there’s many parents that can’t even feed their kids properly much less provide a proper diet for elite athletes. Then you got the fact that there’s kids on our team that might not live behind a nice gate in the burbs. Lastly & least important if I were a student again, the last place I’d want to be was home except for holidays & stuff like that.

So in a kinda, sorta way we Are saying -

Why did we wait longer than our competition to bring them back?

LibertyTurns

Banned
So in a kinda, sorta way we Are saying -

Why did we wait longer than our competition to bring them back?
We were not ready. We admitted it & waited until we had a solid plan before proceeding forward. In the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal but I can see your point it puts us at a slight disadvantage compared to our peers.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We were not ready. We admitted it & waited until we had a solid plan before proceeding forward. In the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal but I can see your point it puts us at a slight disadvantage compared to our peers.

I will leave it after this but "We were not ready" is chilling and indefensible.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
As I said before, I don’t believe we weren’t ready. I think we waited two weeks to make sure our athletes were quarantined and weren’t asymptomatic carriers. Now when our guys come to campus they won’t get kicked off in a few weeks like Alabama

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As I said before, I don’t believe we weren’t ready. I think we waited two weeks to make sure our athletes were quarantined and weren’t asymptomatic carriers. Now when our guys come to campus they won’t get kicked off in a few weeks like Alabama

What? No conspiracy theory?? that is NOT how the internet works at all! ;):)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I will leave it after this but "We were not ready" is chilling and indefensible.
That presumes that anyone was truly ready. GT has been at the forefront of both modeling the effects of the virus and serving as a testing site for the state. I don't think we were exposed as having been unprepared, I think we are operating in a responsible fashion and less affected than some of our peer schools due to the work CLC and team have been doing.

Sometimes being different is the right answer, especially when facing an unknown problem of unknown duration. The closer your decision can be made with regards to acceptable timing the better (within reason) as you get more data and become smarter.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough...even at the expense of player development and practice time.

However, we're dealing with something that no one had to really deal with before, so there's really not much for anyone to refer to. We just have to make the best decisions for the health of our SAs and hope when we look back on it we made the right choices.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we know who the guys that are on campus are? I think I read that only 20 or so players have come back for phase 1.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was just paraphrasing what CGC said. That wasn’t my opinion it was his words.