Stansbury

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lmao I chose the date range because that’s when Collins took over, and when Tech football became “unwatchable.” Tech made a bowl game in 2018 too.

Since 2000 Tech has made 17 bowl games
Duke has played in 6
Kansas has played in 4
Vandy has played in 6
Arizona has played in 8

Yet all of those teams are able to field nationally relevant teams year-in year-out in other non revenue sports. The revenue stream from football seems irrelevant to those schools.
Absolutely. I just hope there is something behind it and not just a stupid coach marketing gimmick of holding a WF cup on the sideline of a game.
I understand that WH execs contribute about $5M a year to Tech athletics. You can see them on the sideline during basketball games. Is it low class? I dunno. Golden Flake Potato Chips and Bama Jelly aren't exactly worldbeaters. I think its fine. They are Tech guys after all.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that WH execs contribute about $5M a year to Tech athletics. You can see them on the sideline during basketball games. Is it low class? I dunno. Golden Flake Potato Chips and Bama Jelly aren't exactly worldbeaters. I think its fine. They are Tech guys after all.
The fact that this kind of stuff upsets some of our fans is baffling.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just received my "end of year" donation request pamphlet from the GTAA for AT Fund donations today. They have a comparison of 2017 to 2021. (conspicuously TStan's first fiscal year as AD and this past fiscal year for the GTAA) Some of the comparisons are:
  • AT Fund rose from $19.3 million to $48 million
  • From 3 out of 17 teams in NCAA championship tournament/playoffs/etc to 11 out of 17 teams
  • From 9 All-Americans in all sports to 26 All-Americans
  • Director's Cup finish from 121 to 44
  • GPAs up about a tenth and freshman GPAs up about .25
I am appreciative of what TStan has done for the athletic department overall. I will be sad to see him leave if it comes to that.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I just received my "end of year" donation request pamphlet from the GTAA for AT Fund donations today. They have a comparison of 2017 to 2021. (conspicuously TStan's first fiscal year as AD and this past fiscal year for the GTAA) Some of the comparisons are:
  • From 3 out of 17 teams in NCAA championship tournament/playoffs/etc to 11 out of 17 teams
I am appreciative of what TStan has done for the athletic department overall. I will be sad to see him leave if it comes to that.
Don’t let facts get in the way of a good narrative tho

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think those numbers reflect donations in those years. IIRC the ATFund @ GTF is around $165million, most of which is designated.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yes, that is what those numbers are. They are donations to the A-T Fund, not the size of endowments.
There were a little over $30M donated to the facilities upgrades as part of the the AI 2020 which were added to the AT numbers. Those were not unrestricted AT donations for those actually more interested in the actual numbers. They blended the numbers (I don’t blame them) to get momentum. Second point I’ll make is it’s not hard to out fundraise Sasquatch.

The point being is GT’s fanbase steps up when there’s a properly organized/ advertised need. We could have had money to do whatever we wanted this year, hiding behind “no money available” just is not true. We don’t have nearly unlimited amounts like the assbags up the road, but we’re not insolvent either. Just making bad business decisions, one right after the other, sometimes at mindboggling speed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There were a little over $30M donated to the facilities upgrades as part of the the AI 2020 which were added to the AT numbers. Those were not unrestricted AT donations for those actually more interested in the actual numbers. They blended the numbers (I don’t blame them) to get momentum. Second point I’ll make is it’s not hard to out fundraise Sasquatch.

The point being is GT’s fanbase steps up when there’s a properly organized/ advertised need. We could have had money to do whatever we wanted this year, hiding behind “no money available” just is not true. We don’t have nearly unlimited amounts like the assbags up the road, but we’re not insolvent either. Just making bad business decisions, one right after the other, sometimes at mindboggling speed.
My experience is that if you are transparent, tell people specifically what the money is for and paint a vision of what that will look like, people will give.