Stansbury Podcast - Feb 2022

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Football talk includes:
  • Offseason coaching moves
  • Spring game on St Patrick's Day
  • GTAA Ventures Investment Fund (also covered in this thread)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We….uhhhhhh……ummmmm…..are trying to……uhhhhhh……get our young guys like….uhhhhh….some work with the new ……ummmmm…..coaches and….uhhhhhh……get back to work so……ummmmmm…..Geoff wanted to…..uhhhhh….get back out there like as soon as….uhhhhhhh…….possible.

Can barely listen to it. And I actually like him.

And no valid reason for Thursday night spring game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
maybe I read something into it but this talk about ( we are young ) which we hear every year. sounds a little like CGC would get one more year no matter how the season goes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
maybe I read something into it but this talk about ( we are young ) which we hear every year. sounds a little like CGC would get one more year no matter how the season goes.
I don’t think there’s much to make of his comments re: 2023. That one in particular just seemed like standard expectations management.

Stansbury led off with “last season was disappointing”. No caveats. I think that’s what a lot of people wanted and needed to hear from an accountability standpoint.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Football talk includes:
  • Offseason coaching moves
  • Spring game on St Patrick's Day
  • GTAA Ventures Investment Fund (also covered in this thread)

Coach Collins has a 30 minute interview this morning at 8am on 680 The Fan for those of you who want to stream an update directly from the man...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
We….uhhhhhh……ummmmm…..are trying to……uhhhhhh……get our young guys like….uhhhhh….some work with the new ……ummmmm…..coaches and….uhhhhhh……get back to work so……ummmmmm…..Geoff wanted to…..uhhhhh….get back out there like as soon as….uhhhhhhh…….possible.

Might be a great guy but he clearly needs to take some public speaking lessons...it's embarrassing on behalf of GT for someone in his role...is this the best we can do?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Might be a great guy but he clearly needs to take some public speaking lessons...it's embarrassing on behalf of GT for someone in his role...is this the best we can do?

Like I said, I like him and have interacted with him, I'm just about to the point that I can't listen to him any more. Maybe it's his comments on having "his coach" in addition to the speech pattern, but it was a painful listen in general.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

There are a lot of uhhhhhs and ummmms. Toastmasters might could help.

kalld12

Banned
I’m with you, except I think the floor is 4 wins this year. No way TStan will be able to hold off the boosters/big donors with 4 consecutive 3 win season. I just can’t see it, but who knows. Crazy times we live in.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you, except I think the floor is 4 wins this year. No way TStan will be able to hold off the boosters/big donors with 4 consecutive 3 win season. I just can’t see it, but who knows. Crazy times we live in.
and you think four wins is a marketable improvement?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
and you think four wins is a marketable improvement?
I'm not sure anything less than a non-losing season will save him. Even then, I'll be disappointed after 4 years (even 3+ with COVID) that people are willing to accept 6 wins.

I realize this may sound like I'm doing a 180, but I'm not. I've never accepted 3 wins, 5 wins, 6 wins as being okay. I'm tired of losing, like everyone else. But I also won't attack or ridicule anyone associated with Tech, and I'll call out anyone who does. Don't equate this with defending someone who is underperforming, but the hyperbole and pettiness of some of our "fans" is to the point of ridiculous.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of uhhhhhs and ummmms. Toastmasters might could help.
I used to teach a course on effective communications for my company, and one of the tricks we would use for the “ummmmmers” was to have them give a speech and tell them we were going to record them on the second try. We actually recorded the first, then had them watch it and count the ummms, the uhhhhs and the “like”s ( the latter usually for the younger participants). After they tallied them all up we had them think about it for a few minutes then record them again. It was amazing to watch the numbers decrease. I would highly suggest this to TStan.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
In the mid 60's an Engineering degree required a course in public speaking and another in technical writing. When I came back in 1971 those were no longer required to graduate. I didn't really want to take them in the first place and was glad they dropped them but I wish now I had taken them for my career.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In the mid 60's an Engineering degree required a course in public speaking and another in technical writing. When I came back in 1971 those were no longer required to graduate. I didn't really want to take them in the first place and was glad they dropped them but I wish now I had taken them for my career.

I am currently a HS teacher but had 25+ years in the private sector prior. When I hear some of more STEM oriented students dismiss their English and humanities courses I tell them that good ideas don't count if one can't communicate and/or sell them effectively. How many careers get stalled because of this? I know I supervised more than several engineers who were "technically" smarter than me. They were great at executing projects for the most part but rarely initiated and/or found the capital for them.

ALL of their courses matter. Of course, they roll their eyes at such nonsense, much as we did when we were in the North Avenue Trade School. Most of life's lessons need to be learned by one's own self.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am currently a HS teacher but had 25+ years in the private sector prior. When I hear some of more STEM oriented students dismiss their English and humanities courses I tell them that good ideas don't count if one can't communicate and/or sell them effectively. How many careers get stalled because of this? I know I supervised more than several engineers who were "technically" smarter than me. They were great at executing projects for the most part but rarely initiated and/or found the capital for them.

ALL of their courses matter. Of course, they roll their eyes at such nonsense, much as we did when we were in the North Avenue Trade School. Most of life's lessons need to be learned by one's own self.
The humanities are vital. I agree. I was fortunate to actually "pad" my GPA with the ability to write and communicate. One of my favorite classes ever at GT was Civil War in Literature. Without my communication skills, I would have been "out" of employment a long, long time ago. My technical skills are ok, but where I stand out compared to most engineers is in the ability to communicate and help others understand. I do love math and statistics as well, but they would not have sustained me through the years without the excellent communication skills.

You and I are very much the same in this regard, and when I decide to retire from my 35+ years in industry, I also plan to teach/train young people. I tutor young people for SAT/ACT for many years now, and it is so rewarding.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
It was still a requirement to pass one or the other in the latter 70s and early 80s. My aunt was an english professor at Loyola University so I damn sure had to have good grades in english as a kid, so I was always a good writer. So I took the Public Speaking elective (less homework interfering with my EE studies). It changed my life, really. It gave me confidence to address a large group of strangers and organize my presentations. My career took off when management realized I had the technical expertise but also the ability to communicate well and influence people... they put me in front of defense research sponsors at technical conferences, and when I went "Pro" in commercial engineering and software companies I became the go-to Sales Engineer and also taught product and best-practices training courses. I developed the ability of explaining very technical concepts in ways that non-technical executives and other decision makers can clearly understand. I once gave an Air Campaign Planning software system demonstration to the Vice-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (a 4-star, with a 3 star general who was head of the Defense Intelligence Agency carrying his bags!) in a field tent at a live-fire artillery and armor exercise near the Fulda Gap/Czech border in Grafenwoehr Germany.

Now I mentor the younger crowd in dealing face to face with difficult customers and building their confidence also. Passing it forward...

Last edited: