Stansbury hired at NCSU

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not much to do in Raleigh unless he plays golf. Oh, forgot he is Canadian and the Hurricanes are pretty good. The state fair is a big deal in October.
He’ll be 62 when football season starts. I can’t imagine he’d want much more than good weather, low cost of living, great food, a 2 hour drive to the beach, 3 hour drive to the mountains, little traffic, and low crime.

Also, just because he works in Raleigh doesn’t mean he can’t live in any part of the Triangle. 40 ain’t that bad when you’re working the hours I imagine he will be.

People aren’t flocking to Raleigh for no reason, you know that just as well as I do. This isn’t the Raleigh of even 10 years ago.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He’ll be 62 when football season starts. I can’t imagine he’d want much more than good weather, low cost of living, great food, a 2 hour drive to the beach, 3 hour drive to the mountains, little traffic, and low crime.

Also, just because he works in Raleigh doesn’t mean he can’t live in any part of the Triangle. 40 ain’t that bad when you’re working the hours I imagine he will be.

People aren’t flocking to Raleigh for no reason, you know that just as well as I do. This isn’t the Raleigh of even 10 years ago.
You confirmed my point, only there definitely is traffic now, just not to Atlanta levels. You mentioned the beach and mountains. Well that's where people go on the weekends to have something to do. People are flocking to lots of cities in the south, not just Raleigh. It is a great place to raise a family and a decent public school system. Weather is similar to Atlanta Nashville Richmond etc.
Raleigh and Durham do have some great restaurants. He could go to a lot worse places and I would rather see him there than at UNC. Hope he finds success there but he sure put GT in FB purgatory.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
You confirmed my point, only there definitely is traffic now, just not to Atlanta levels. You mentioned the beach and mountains. Well that's where people go on the weekends to have something to do. People are flocking to lots of cities in the south, not just Raleigh. It is a great place to raise a family and a decent public school system. Weather is similar to Atlanta Nashville Richmond etc.
Raleigh and Durham do have some great restaurants. He could go to a lot worse places and I would rather see him there than at UNC. Hope he finds success there but he sure put GT in FB purgatory.
What? The triangle has been and will continue to be one of the top 5 fasted growing areas in the country. Population is 1.6 million and still growing quickly

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Been to Nashville or Charlotte lately.
I won’t disagree with those two, but the whole premise of this conversation is we’re talking about where you can enjoy living as a high level Athletic Admin. UNC Charlotte isn’t really an option, I’ll give you Vandy.

The Triangle could have more to offer, of course. I’ll be the first one to complain about lack of public transportation, parks, etc. but there are things to do. But as a 62 year old Todd Stansbury, I imagine the Triangle isn’t far down the list of realistic places he’d want to live.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sounds like we’re due for a Triangle Swarm meet up. @Lightbulb @g0lftime @orientalnc (make the drive) @JacketBacker and whoever else I missed
That sounds like a good plan. I will be leaving for a 3-month camping trip in a few weeks, so it might have to wait until May or June. Then I am off to Norway for a couple of months. Retirement life is complicated by the bucket list.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That TStan talked to. He was given Fritz and Chadwell's numbers, he never called them.

I think you know this already: TStan was influenced by some donors, and those donors DID NOT want anything to do with the option (hence why CGC wanted nothing to do with the option...even though some option would have tremendously helped with the transition given the personnel leftover). Those same donors were heavily influenced by O'Leary.

Fritz, Monken, anyone that had any option in their offense was always a nonstarter.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think you know this already: TStan was influenced by some donors, and those donors DID NOT want anything to do with the option (hence why CGC wanted nothing to do with the option...even though some option would have tremendously helped with the transition given the personnel leftover). Those same donors were heavily influenced by O'Leary.

Fritz, Monken, anyone that had any option in their offense was always a nonstarter.

Which led to the assumption that Collins and Patrenaude were in over their heads. The logical thing to do was to add in some sort of run based system that took advantage of what players they had in house, i.e. find a system that fit their players. Instead, they threw the ball a ton without the OL or QB to do that. Just led me to believe that Collins was clueless. Not to say we would've won 7 or 8 games, but maybe 5 or 6, which would've been a hell of a lot better than 3. And maybe we beat The Citadel, which was definitely the point where a lot of people realized he was all sizzle and no steak.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And maybe we beat The Citadel, which was definitely the point where a lot of people realized he was all sizzle and no steak.
I've never been more embrassed for Tech or Tech football then I was at that game. The lack of discipline on the field, the lack of focus on the sidelines, the "juice box", the endless confusion about game management, the mis-use of players … almost the entire game was a cause for shame. When Citadel won my conclusion was that they deserved it; they played football while Tech was simply screwing around. Disgraceful.

I stopped going to Tech games because of Sars-Cov-2 (I'm 76), but that game made me miss a few before the disease. It spoiled my gamedays for the first time in a decade. I haven't been to a Tech game in three years, despite keeping my season tickets all that time. Now, I can start going again. We will probably lose more then we win next year, but we'll look and behave like a football team while we are doing it.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
'Extending Partner was reasonable, and at the point he backed Geoffrey, I don't think he had much choice but to double down.
Pastner owed us for sticking with him during the Bell fiasco. We didn't have to extend him - he owed us. On Collins, he could have easily said "we are going to give the current staff another year and then evaluate" as opposed to "I have my man". Everybody makes bad hires, but only bad managers do not deal with their hiring errors. His strong support probably got Collins fired earlier. CGC might have been given the end of the year if we were not going to clean house of TS too. Hiring a good football coach is the biggest job for an AD. And he failed. It's not like he failed on hiring the Assistant Deputy AD. You can't fail on your #1 goal and be labeled as just unlucky. It would be like a Treasurer who let the Company run out of money - can't do that.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Extending Partner was reasonable, and at the point he backed Geoffrey, I don't think he had much choice but to double down.
THe Collins ship had a hole in it the size of a whale and yet he got on board.Of course he can live off his contract a long time if he wanted w/o the new job..