Spring Position Battle - SDE

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
With longtime starter Emmanuel Dieke graduating this spot is now open for competition...

Competitors - Kevin Robbins, Roderick Chungong

Favored - Kevin Robbins

I will start off with Kevin Robbins who I have pegged as the favorite to win the job....This may come as a surprise to some. Kevin showed up at Tech last Summer in great shape...he has continued that during his redshirt year and has continued to add weight. Last I hear he was in the 260 range...He had a good year on the scout team. He is inexperinced and has no game action up to this point but his potential and where he is at now is why I project him to be the starter.

Roderick Chungong like a few other Tech players suffered a major leg injury that forced him to miss almost all of last season...Chungong has a good build for SDE but we really have not got to see much of him at this point. When he has practiced he has not blown the doors off or shown anything elite...I was told that he needs to put more focus into football rather than off the field stuff....we will see where he is at come Spring. Due to our lack of depth he will certainly get his fair shot at the position.

* Patrick Gamble could be a SDE but the plan is for him to be a DT heading into Spring...I am sure if things arent working out with Robbins and or Chungong they will slide him back over.

Prediction - Kevin Robbins

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Curious Attaochu played OLB, WDE, & SDE depending on the matchup. Why is the SDE/WDE designation necessary?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I think our defense will be about the same this coming year as last year. I believe the talent is about the same, but we will already have one year of Roof defense under our belt. My main concern remains the same this year as last year, and that is playing the receivers tighter on 3rd and long to keep the offense from completing the short passes for first downs which keeps our offense off the field. I had rather have a long strike against us and get the offense back on the field rather than let the opponent nickel and dimeing us to death and eating up the clock.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This position is of real concern.The talent level is questionable at this point and the exp level low.A perfect example( in a position) of how some think that the DEF will "somehow" be as good as even last yr.Last yr our DEF incl line ,was about 25th in country in run def.We lost 3 starters off that team.Very unlikely we will match ,that this yr.One of the big reasons is this position.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Losing Attaochu alone could make us worse on defense. Losing Jemea could be a big blow too. I think we'll be as good or better at CB replacing Young, SDE replacing Dieke, and DT replacing Cummings. 3 things could make us as good or better overall on defense than last year:
1.) Getting much better production from the guys we have returning having been in the system another year and making gains in their physical abilities.
2.) A new guy makes a huge impact - Whitehead most likely
3.) Scheme better so that it doesn't rely so much on a stud DE. Find creative ways to get pressure while keeping the defense sound so as not to give up big plays while sending more pressure. Thought we did well at this last year, but may have to step it up a notch this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think our defense will be about the same this coming year as last year. I believe the talent is about the same, but we will already have one year of Roof defense under our belt. My main concern remains the same this year as last year, and that is playing the receivers tighter on 3rd and long to keep the offense from completing the short passes for first downs which keeps our offense off the field. I had rather have a long strike against us and get the offense back on the field rather than let the opponent nickel and dimeing us to death and eating up the clock.
I'd rather not give up scores.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are there any other DTs we might shift to SDE?
I dont think anyone but Gamble right now. However, we could move Kallon or Akins to SDE. That was their original spot until they decided to grow the size of a Giant Panda lol.

Gamble,Kallon, and Akins all know how to play DT and DE but like I Eric said the most likely is Gamble right now.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moving Gamble to DT leaves no depth at SDE except the incoming FR. Not sure this will work out. But I am not the coach.
Did you mean to write no depth at DT?

If so, we would probably start Gotis and lets say now Kallon. This would leave us with Shawn Green, Kitchen, Commingsong, and Akins. Green has been a solid back up and Kitchen came on late last year as a decent sub. The two RFreshman are huge and talented who should provide further depth and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them didn't start at some point in the season.

I kinda hope Gamble or Kallon move to SDE unless Robbins steps up big and Merriweather is ready to back him up.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Curious Attaochu played OLB, WDE, & SDE depending on the matchup. Why is the SDE/WDE designation necessary?
It isn't that necessary. Most of these guys are cross trained like the ones I mentioned above. However, you want them to spend more time practicing the position the play the most. SDE and WDE have different opportunities and obstacles.

You don't want a smaller DE playing the SDE usually because of the blocks that he will have to face. You need to be an ANCHOR at the SDE. Dieke did a good job at the SDE but never played elite. He should have with his frame. Never reached his potential if you ask me.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we will be slightly improved this year if we stay healthy. Our defense had wayyyy too many injuries at DB.

I think DT will be improved with talent and depth. We haven't had this much depth at DT since I can remember. WDE should be solid with tons of guys in the competition. SDE worries me but I think we will move Gamble if no one impresses. Robbins can back up at least.

LB should be nasty!!! Especially when Harrell is back.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This position is of real concern.The talent level is questionable at this point and the exp level low.A perfect example( in a position) of how some think that the DEF will "somehow" be as good as even last yr.Last yr our DEF incl line ,was about 25th in country in run def.We lost 3 starters off that team.Very unlikely we will match ,that this yr.One of the big reasons is this position.
I agree this is my biggest position concern besides JT committing turnovers.

However, we are real deep at DT. I am expecting Gotis to play even better even if his #'s aren't as good due to more attention. We had depth issues last year and fatigue came in...See the UGA game.

WDE does not concern me with the guys we brought in. Especially Whitehead....The thing people need to remember is that if the DT is up then it makes the DE's jobs a lot easier. I expect that to happen a lot this year.

Again, I think Gamble will slide over to SDE if no one impresses. I think Robbins will be a solid back up. I am really excited about Merriweather. Wouldn't surprise me if he played.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Losing Attaochu alone could make us worse on defense. Losing Jemea could be a big blow too. I think we'll be as good or better at CB replacing Young, SDE replacing Dieke, and DT replacing Cummings. 3 things could make us as good or better overall on defense than last year:
1.) Getting much better production from the guys we have returning having been in the system another year and making gains in their physical abilities.
2.) A new guy makes a huge impact - Whitehead most likely
3.) Scheme better so that it doesn't rely so much on a stud DE. Find creative ways to get pressure while keeping the defense sound so as not to give up big plays while sending more pressure. Thought we did well at this last year, but may have to step it up a notch this year.
Good points sir.

I think you are going to see guys who have been in the system emerge like DJ White, Golden, Milton, Harrell, Gamble,Kallon,Mcnair,Noble, and many others. Some of them are due for it and I think it is guaranteed with our position coaches assisting with their development like Coach Pelton.

Whitehead, Simmons, or Travin Henry is a feast for a WDE competition. Heck, throw in Freeman with that bunch.

DB is going to improve even without Jemea. We may miss some big plays from him but if the DL is getting pressure which they should then the DB's job should be easier.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont think anyone but Gamble right now. However, we could move Kallon or Akins to SDE. That was their original spot until they decided to grow the size of a Giant Panda lol.

Gamble,Kallon, and Akins all know how to play DT and DE but like I Eric said the most likely is Gamble right now.
I thought Kallon and Akins grew to the "size of a giant panda" to play DE in a 3-4

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Did you mean to write no depth at DT?

If so, we would probably start Gotis and lets say now Kallon. This would leave us with Shawn Green, Kitchen, Commingsong, and Akins. Green has been a solid back up and Kitchen came on late last year as a decent sub. The two RFreshman are huge and talented who should provide further depth and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them didn't start at some point in the season.

I kinda hope Gamble or Kallon move to SDE unless Robbins steps up big and Merriweather is ready to back him up.

Actually I wrote "no depth at SDE except the incoming FR".