Spring Game Matchup ?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Spring game should be a very good one as we have a lot of talent, particularly on the OL for both teams. I predict the second team O against the second team D will win because IMO we have more quality depth on O (and I believe Jordan will play more than Thomas at QB). Here is a strawman lineup. What do you think?

First Team O Second Team O

QB Thomas Jordan Byerly Martensen
AB Snoddy Andrews Searcy Green Willis McClellan
BB Leggett Braswell Weimerskirch Bryan/Swilling?
WR Summers Jeune Oliver Messick Howell Barton
T Chamberlain Joe Griffin Fromayan Klock Bryan Stickler Preddy
G Braun Brown O'Reilly Devine Brigham Whitley
C Burden (O'Reilly) Marshall Anderson

IMO the second team OL is stronger and deeper than the second team DL, especially if Griffin and Fromayan move over to the second team OL. From the numbers we may see Will Bryan at G rather than T?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Spring game should be a very good one as we have a lot of talent, particularly on the OL for both teams. I predict the second team O against the second team D will win because IMO we have more quality depth on O (and I believe Jordan will play more than Thomas at QB). Here is a strawman lineup. What do you think?

IMO the second team OL is stronger and deeper than the second team DL, especially if Griffin and Fromayan move over to the second team OL. From the numbers we may see Will Bryan at G rather than T?
SPACES DID NOT TRANSLATE OVER WHEN I HIT POST. Should have previewed it. Lesson learned.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow

Probably stay at tackle bc Joe and Chamberlain leave after next year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Probably stay at tackle bc Joe and Chamberlain leave after next year.
G: Braun and O'Reilly leave with Devine, Brown, and Whitley left. T: Joe and Chamberlain leave next year with Griffin, Fromayan, Stickler, Klock, Preddy, Bryan, and B Morgan left. Experienced walk-ons, Stallard and Munns, are also Ts. Numbers say somebody moves to G.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Jordan beats out Byerly for QB2, then Jordan will be a special QB for us. Byerly doesn't have the arm that JT does, but I think his understanding of the passing game and our option scheme is probably on par with Tevin and JT. Jordan is faster and more athletic than Byerly, and definitely has the higher ceiling, but Byerly's understanding of our offense and experience as a Senior will be hard to overcome. I really liked Jordan's HS tape from a passing standpoint...he doesn't have the strongest arm, but his accuracy and anticipation is probably the best of all the QBs CPJ has recruited.

I definitely think JT will be on a "pitch count" this spring, and we'll see more of Jordan and Byerly taking snaps. Jordan is definitely one of the players I'm excited to watch this Spring.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
If Jordan beats out Byerly for QB2, then Jordan will be a special QB for us. Byerly doesn't have the arm that JT does, but I think his understanding of the passing game and our option scheme is probably on par with Tevin and JT. Jordan is faster and more athletic than Byerly, and definitely has the higher ceiling, but Byerly's understanding of our offense and experience as a Senior will be hard to overcome. I really liked Jordan's HS tape from a passing standpoint...he doesn't have the strongest arm, but his accuracy and anticipation is probably the best of all the QBs CPJ has recruited.

I definitely think JT will be on a "pitch count" this spring, and we'll see more of Jordan and Byerly taking snaps. Jordan is definitely one of the players I'm excited to watch this Spring.
From what I little I have seen of Byerly he has a better arm and more accurate arm than JT5. He does not have the speed, acceleration and quickness including as quick a pass release but passing wise he is as good or better IMHO.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
G: Braun and O'Reilly leave with Devine, Brown, and Whitley left. T: Joe and Chamberlain leave next year with Griffin, Fromayan, Stickler, Klock, Preddy, Bryan, and B Morgan left. Experienced walk-ons, Stallard and Munns, are also Ts. Numbers say somebody moves to G.
Ya somebody, not Will. I see him starting at tackle after this next year with Griffin.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Byerly is a good passer and faster than some people think, he's a longer strider, probably not as quick as JT, but who is?

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Jordan beats out Byerly for QB2, then Jordan will be a special QB for us.
If I'm interpreting the original post right, he's not saying Jordan will beat out Byerly but that the first team will consist of the 1st and 3rd string QBs and the second team will have the 2nd and 4th string ones.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It will be interesting to see how much action JeT gets.. While I would like the other guys to get a bulk section of time, it will be important to break in the new slew of BBacks for meshing and Abacks for Pitch Discipline and spacing. From that perspective I guess JT will take more time then he may need to get the rest of the guys up to speed.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If I'm interpreting the original post right, he's not saying Jordan will beat out Byerly but that the first team will consist of the 1st and 3rd string QBs and the second team will have the 2nd and 4th string ones.

CPJ probably does not need to see a lot of Justin at QB and he wants to see a lot of QBs #2 and #3. It's just a guess on my part. So I think Byerly with a strong second unit OL will give the second unit D more than a tussle.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how much action JeT gets.. While I would like the other guys to get a bulk section of time, it will be important to break in the new slew of BBacks for meshing and Abacks for Pitch Discipline and spacing. From that perspective I guess JT will take more time then he may need to get the rest of the guys up to speed.
Most of the "slew" comes in in the Fall. He has worked with Leggett, Braswell, Snoddy, Andrews, McClellan, and Willis for a year. Only new backs for the Spring are Weimerskirch, Green, Searcy (worked with him 1/2 year), and Lynch (scout team; do not know his AB practice experience). IMO I believe CPJ will not expose JT to much Spring game (injury risk) and a greater wish to look at Jordan with the first team.