Spring Game Impressions

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Dunno that too many will agree with me, but I pretty much love CBK's quote on which QB stood out to him in this article. It's smart, and accomplishes a few things:

1 - Keeps the 2-3 frontrunner QBs from getting "too big for their britches." There's been a lot of talk about the QB battle; everyone keeps asking about it in press conferences, everyone keeps writing about it, everyone on the message boards keep talking about it. We all want to know who'll start, as do the QBs themselves. With one small quote, Key told them all "Look, I saw lots of good things, but the job is still open, and you've still got a lot of work to do to make it yours." Seems that there really is competition there.

2 - Reminds the QBs they're part of a TEAM. They're important, but they're not going to be the focus. They need everyone on the team to perform in order to make it work. There are no "star players" on the team - just guys who make plays and keep improving. This is a stark contrast from the rumored "We'll start you if you stay," cult-of-the-recruiting-rankings approach of TFG.

3 - Engages the whole team. How important was it to Brody Rhodes to hear that? How much harder will he continue to work because of that single mention, when the press has been focused on 4 other guys? How much harder will other players work, when they see players outside the press's radar called out for their performance? The message sent - every player is important in the eyes of this coach. And he sees what you're doing, even if your name isn't written up in print as often as some others.

I doubt that was all planned in CBK's mind - I just think it's good leadership, and a good look.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
i also commented on our height. With Blackstrain and Blackburn out, and losing Malachi, King and Jenkins, we were much smaller than in recent memory.
But I’m not being derogatory, as you said, guys like Moore and Boyd are plenty big enough, and getting separation more important than size most of the time, or teams would just split their TEs out.
Just a stark contrast in size in one year.
Yep, first requisite is hands then speed then size/height. Game is going toward tall recs. --for ex-awbern specifically went to portal to get taller WRs. I hear

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yes on Boyd. We have been waiting on him to emerge. Hopefully he has. He had an impressive game with great effort and some good luck.

Yeah he really excited me as a recruit, and I thought the size/speed would put him on the field more. I know injuries have limited him. Hopefully he has a breakout.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm late joining in on the excellent comments I have read. It was so nice to be at Bobby Dodd Stadium with genuine football enthusiasm and not the manufactured variety like we had in the four plus years of the Collins disastrous era. I like the QB competition that is shaping up with King and Pyron. The D by design didn't run sophisticated blitzes but I liked what I saw from both. Gibson looked a step behind the other two, but he is a gamer. A running back to keep an eye on is Trey Cooley the Louisville transfer who made a really nice run on a short pass. I'm a huge fan of Dante Smith and the up and coming Jamie Felix among others. Our RB's should be solid in a rotation though I want to see one emerge as the Alpha. Wide receivers looked good too. TE's remain a worry in terms of pass catching and big play potential but maybe someone emerges.
Thank you GT Athletic Dept for a fun spring game and good luck to our Jackets players and coaching and support staff led by Coach Key. Stay healthy, stay eligible and see you at MBS vs Louisville on Sept 1.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just rewatched the highlights (haven’t been this excited for GT football in a long time) and holy smokes I hope we can keep Evan dickens. The kid already looks as explosive as Dontae. I have no doubt we’ll use him every game he’s healthy this year.

Another season in the weight room, Dontae departs, and he could be 1st string by a long shot. Not saying the others aren’t good, but his bursts look different.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Just rewatched the highlights (haven’t been this excited for GT football in a long time) and holy smokes I hope we can keep Evan dickens. The kid already looks as explosive as Dontae. I have no doubt we’ll use him every game he’s healthy this year.

Another season in the weight room, Dontae departs, and he could be 1st string by a long shot. Not saying the others aren’t good, but his bursts look different.
Any insight into why he only got 57 carries as a senior despite averaging 8.4 ypc and only 93 carries as a junior despite averaging 7.4 ypc? I'm guessing injuries but does anyone know?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Any insight into why he only got 57 carries as a senior despite averaging 8.4 ypc and only 93 carries as a junior despite averaging 7.4 ypc? I'm guessing injuries but does anyone know?
He went to IMG. He’s great but I think there was like a top 5 RB infront of him